Spencer Petras

I wish we would throw it deep more often. Maybe their safeties are playing too deep but I'd like to see us give it a chance at least a couple of times per half. And I don't think Petras would be overly accurate on these throws but at least the opposing defense would have to respect it. And today they really didn't; Nebraska stacked the box a lot.

Petras needs to improve his accuracy, no question about it. Having a good throw to Raganini in the end zone today would have been a four point difference. And with that it wouldn't have had to come down to a heroic play on defense at the end of the game.

No excuse for his interception today either. I'm not down on the kid; I'm sure he knows he needs to get better or at some point Padilla will get a shot. He needs to put be able to put together good quarters in a row but he hasn't been able to be consistent.

I defended Petras until today. He threw way too many passes at the receivers' feet. Coaching can't correct that. They'll let him finish the season as the starter, but it should definitely be an open competition come spring.
Actually better at the feet than high hard - like he has done the first 4 games.

Here's the thing about PEtras, its been true in every game. When the other team makes Petras beat them, he can't do it. Northwestern and Purdue made him beat them, he couldn't. Nebraska for most of the first half tried to do that. We got a couple good punts and punt returns and changed field position in the 2nd half a couple times and then they weren't able to do that. We ran, ran some more, brian remembered finally were a running team, and we won the game. I think the magic number is really somewhere around 32-35. If we throw the ball 32-35 times or more, we're gonna lose this season, period. I thought brian forgot who we were today, for the first time in four weeks. I'm gonna guess at half time Dad reminded him, but even in that fourth quarter....you have petras throw on 1st and 2nd down when were up 3 with 9 minutes left. Just didn't get it. Thought this was the worst called game in a month for brian, thought he really lost site of who we are for most of today. When teams are able to make the passing game beat them, we can't, and that will be the story all year. Bring Padilla in for at least a drive every game, maybe you get lightning in a bottle. It's a real testament to the defense and special teams that they continue to put us in positions to win convincingly games in which the qb play just isn't good enough to win. In fairness, I thought Petras made his best throw as a hawkeye in a key spot today when he threw a ball in the fourth quarter just over the hands of a linebacker to the tight end who was blocking him and then the lb peeled off towards petras. That was a sweet throw and actually had touch. I think Petras has all the talent in the world to be elite, but he's not playing well enough to win games, thankfully the defense and special teams have been stupid lately.

Lol, where have you been for the last twenty years.
I always see this perspective on the boards, and I don't think it aligns with reality. Ferentz moved to Beathard and Stanzi over established starters, and it paid off. He also let Stanley jump an upperclassman, which also was a great move (Stanley wasn't perfect, but he was an above-average Big Ten QB who torched OSU and won three bowl games including against MSU when Iowa ran for negative yards).

Grad transfer market could be a free-for-all this spring.

18 of 30, 193 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. Have not checked but would interested in throw aways and drops. Is what it is.

I’ll start by giving a little slack to BF

It’s hard to run an offense when your QB is so inaccurate. There’s been a lot of big plays and points left off the board because the last four years our QBs can’t connect on a pass over 20 yards (Stanley got a little better but he had to put so much air that our guys couldn’t get YAC)

we are back to a modified version of GDGD offense. No passes past 15 yard. No plays in space.

The offense is the reason Iowa is an average team. We can beat the bad teams (barely) and we consistently lose the games we need against the better teams.

unless we have a great leader at QB, we are stuck with these 26-20 games week in and week out.
Always feels good to beat Nebraska but tired of losing to NW, PU, and WI every year cause we can’t score
He doesn't deserve slack. Who is responsible for recruiting Petras, and continuing to play him? The Ferentz boys that's who. Wisconsin will have petras curled up in a ball sucking his thumb by halftime.

Just ignore Caddy. He is a troll. The kind that is ugly, hides under bridges, a entices little girls with candy. Hi, Caddy! Love, Huck.

Have any of you noticed that Petras starts out pretty well in games and through the first half. If BF is scripting the first 12-15 plays then he has the reps during practice throughout the week. These are the reps he missed this year.

He was 18 for 30 for 60% with the two drops by BSmith where the throws were low. That second drop by Smith Podolak thought might have been a TD with the green he had in front of him.

But more than one tv analyst and even Pololak have mentioned his footwork and some other technique need refined. The kid should definitely do some QB camps when the season is over.

Then into the 2nd half the defense adjusts and maybe he tightens up. Who knows.

I thought he looked like he was taking too much off his throws. I will give him a chance and I am not down on him. The offensive line didnt help him in the 2nd half of the Purdue game and jNW has a tough defense.

Here's the thing about PEtras, its been true in every game. When the other team makes Petras beat them, he can't do it. Northwestern and Purdue made him beat them, he couldn't. Nebraska for most of the first half tried to do that. We got a couple good punts and punt returns and changed field position in the 2nd half a couple times and then they weren't able to do that. We ran, ran some more, brian remembered finally were a running team, and we won the game. I think the magic number is really somewhere around 32-35. If we throw the ball 32-35 times or more, we're gonna lose this season, period. I thought brian forgot who we were today, for the first time in four weeks. I'm gonna guess at half time Dad reminded him, but even in that fourth quarter....you have petras throw on 1st and 2nd down when were up 3 with 9 minutes left. Just didn't get it. Thought this was the worst called game in a month for brian, thought he really lost site of who we are for most of today. When teams are able to make the passing game beat them, we can't, and that will be the story all year. Bring Padilla in for at least a drive every game, maybe you get lightning in a bottle. It's a real testament to the defense and special teams that they continue to put us in positions to win convincingly games in which the qb play just isn't good enough to win. In fairness, I thought Petras made his best throw as a hawkeye in a key spot today when he threw a ball in the fourth quarter just over the hands of a linebacker to the tight end who was blocking him and then the lb peeled off towards petras. That was a sweet throw and actually had touch. I think Petras has all the talent in the world to be elite, but he's not playing well enough to win games, thankfully the defense and special teams have been stupid lately.
He has the arm...

And I've really been hoping to see improvement.

I'll be honest, that play where he literally panicked like he was terrified....ran in circles...turning his back and not looking downfield at all...and then threw the duck to triple coverage. That point...right there.... 3 years and 6 games in as starter...is when he lost me.

I hope I'm wrong, but its gonna be hard for him to correct the happy feet, pocket awareness, and panic. Thats kinda of an innate thing.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. Just don't see it.

I don't remember even Christiansen panicking like he does...

The kid is 4-2 and we've lost two games by 5 points and if an official doesn't swallow his whistle at Purdue, we may be 5-1 and still in the hunt.

I didn't think Petras was as bad as most on here did today. Here's the thing...he has some mechanical things he's trying to figure out...getting rid of the high hard one on crossing patterns etc. It's difficult to make those changes and develop touch within your mechanics mid-season. I'll give him credit...he's trying. He made one terrible throw and decision today...just like at Penn State. I can live with that. I think he's getting better....but he has to keep showing it. Listen...he was great in the first quarter...if he's great in the first...he can be great in the 4th...he just needs to learn to do it.

The low throws are all a result of him trying to take something off the throws and give his receivers a catchable ball. He's trying to get that feel and he overcompensated and the result is a low ball with zero velocity. He's aiming it...instead of throwing it.

For you moron's comparing him to Jake Christianson...you've never seen what I've seen. It scarred me for life. WR's had ankle bruises due to the ankle busting throws from JC. Petras is Johnny U compared to that.

We have a shot at winning 6 games in a row. Season is still in front of them (except for the chance to win the division). He's a first year starter, and it remains to be seen how much he will improve. 2020 is a really weird year but they are currently winning. I'll take it for now. (see Minny and Nebby for reference)

While this is his first year as starter, it's his 3rd year in the program. Seems like a nice and confident kid. Unfortunately he's not a very good QB at this level and have seen little improvement in 6 games. He has happy feet in the pocket, which makes me nervous every time he drops back.

Iowa is winning games almost exclusively because of defense, special teams and the QB's ability to hand a ball off to a RB.

While this is his first year as starter, it's his 3rd year in the program. Seems like a nice and confident kid. Unfortunately he's not a very good QB at this level and have seen little improvement in 6 games. He has happy feet in the pocket, which makes me nervous every time he drops back.

Iowa is winning games almost exclusively because of defense, special teams and the QB's ability to hand a ball off to a RB.

I don't disagree with you. I just think that putting the "next qb in" is likely not going to get fans what they want. They wanted Stanley replaced with Petras last year, remember? :)

Not seeing improvement? He was 18-28 at Penn State and threw the ball away 4 times on purpose to get out of bad plays. That's improvement.

Yesterday was a tough day for him, but he made enough plays to get the win...that's all that matters. I honestly think he's close to putting it together. He's just got to settle down and play the game...it's clear he's an analytical kid...and he's a bit of a deer in the highlights because he's trying to process too much. That being said...he was really good in the first quarter, but the "panic" play where he threw an inexplicable interception kind of worked his confidence the rest of the game. You could tell he was afraid of making another mistake that could cost his team...so he started aiming and not making confident throws.

A win is a win guys. He's 4-2. Listen, Stanzi's first year starting...was at the same point in his career...a redshirt sophomore. Does anyone remember that year? We had Shonn Greene and a spectacular running game, plus a top tier defense. We relied on the running game, and Stanzi managed the games. Stanzi made a ton of bonehead plays and his defense bailed him out...over and over again. I would argue that Petras is better than Stanzi at this point in his career.

Not seeing improvement? He was 18-28 at Penn State and threw the ball away 4 times on purpose to get out of bad plays. That's improvement.

Yesterday was a tough day for him, but he made enough plays to get the win...that's all that matters. I honestly think he's close to putting it together. He's just got to settle down and play the game...it's clear he's an analytical kid...and he's a bit of a deer in the highlights because he's trying to process too much. That being said...he was really good in the first quarter, but the "panic" play where he threw an inexplicable interception kind of worked his confidence the rest of the game. You could tell he was afraid of making another mistake that could cost his team...so he started aiming and not making confident throws.

A win is a win guys. He's 4-2. Listen, Stanzi's first year starting...was at the same point in his career...a redshirt sophomore. Does anyone remember that year? We had Shonn Greene and a spectacular running game, plus a top tier defense. We relied on the running game, and Stanzi managed the games. Stanzi made a ton of bonehead plays and his defense bailed him out...over and over again. I would argue that Petras is better than Stanzi at this point in his career.

You may or may not be correct. We'll see. Stanzi, 14 TD's vs 9 int's his redshirt sophomore year. Petras, 4 TD's vs. 5 int's so far in 6 games. That equates to 8 and 10 in twelve games. I'd argue the schedule Iowa's played so far has not been very difficult.

You may or may not be correct. We'll see. Stanzi, 14 TD's vs 9 int's his redshirt sophomore year. Petras, 4 TD's vs. 5 int's so far in 6 games. That equates to 8 and 10 in twelve games. I'd argue the schedule Iowa's played so far has not been very difficult.

You may be right. Having said that, Petras did not have spring ball. He also didn't have a non conference schedule that included West Undershirt and Pigsknuckle State. He went right into playing against big ten teams. 4-2 in a conference only schedule isn't terrible. IF (HUGE IF) he can close out the last two games with victories, I'd say it's a decent first year.

The kid is 4-2 and we've lost two games by 5 points and if an official doesn't swallow his whistle at Purdue, we may be 5-1 and still in the hunt.

I didn't think Petras was as bad as most on here did today. Here's the thing...he has some mechanical things he's trying to figure out...getting rid of the high hard one on crossing patterns etc. It's difficult to make those changes and develop touch within your mechanics mid-season. I'll give him credit...he's trying. He made one terrible throw and decision today...just like at Penn State. I can live with that. I think he's getting better....but he has to keep showing it. Listen...he was great in the first quarter...if he's great in the first...he can be great in the 4th...he just needs to learn to do it.

The low throws are all a result of him trying to take something off the throws and give his receivers a catchable ball. He's trying to get that feel and he overcompensated and the result is a low ball with zero velocity. He's aiming it...instead of throwing it.

For you moron's comparing him to Jake Christianson...you've never seen what I've seen. It scarred me for life. WR's had ankle bruises due to the ankle busting throws from JC. Petras is Johnny U compared to that.
Seriously. I've seen a ton of live hawkeye games, at home and on the road. Jake was epic-bad. I'll never forget his loss at Ross Ade. He threw into the dirt to wide open receivers all day.

You may be right. Having said that, Petras did not have spring ball. He also didn't have a non conference schedule that included West Undershirt and Pigsknuckle State. He went right into playing against big ten teams. 4-2 in a conference only schedule isn't terrible. IF (HUGE IF) he can close out the last two games with victories, I'd say it's a decent first year.
There are first year starters all over the country year in and year out who don’t suck. The fact that we can all sit here and name 10 Spencer Petras like guys that have played at Iowa over the years means that it’s the program. The recruiting, coaching and play calling are all part of the problem. Our greatest QB ever has career passing and TD records that have stood at Iowa the whole Ferentz era while not even remaining top 150 all time. Go look at some of the names that are ahead of Chuck all time and it will make you sick. We run a primitive offense and recruit QBs that fit that style.

The things you say are not false and he will get better but we have all seen this play out before.

There are first year starters all over the country year in and year out who don’t suck. The fact that we can all sit here and name 10 Spencer Petras like guys that have played at Iowa over the years means that it’s the program. The recruiting, coaching and play calling are all part of the problem. Our greatest QB ever has career passing and TD records that have stood at Iowa the whole Ferentz era while not even remaining top 150 all time. Go look at some of the names that are ahead of Chuck all time and it will make you sick. We run a primitive offense and recruit QBs that fit that style.

The things you say are not false and he will get better but we have all seen this play out before.
And yet, I think it's possible we're the best team in the division. Fourth winningest coach in big ten history. We have two trophies this year from our rivalry games, with one to go. Petras ain't great, but these programs who change quarterbacks and coaches like socks are a lot worse off than Iowa. Stanley was super frustrating at times but he had a damn good year last year, IMHO. Sure, you can find five star sophomore quarterbacks on tv that look great. All I know is we're ranked after going 0-2.

I agree that Petras basically sucked yesterday, but if you go back, you'd see people wanted Stanley pulled last year too.... for Petras! Iowa fans being Iowa fans... We had a "bad win" yesterday. I'll take it!

Maybe we could hire a QB whisperer and great recruiter like Jim Harbaugh.