Spencer Petras has talked to the media after every game. Brian Ferentz hasn't.

Sooby

Brian Ferentz could not care less, as long as the check is being signed he is happy.
Brian Feretz is a coward for letting Petras face the media and critics alone.

I’m sure Spencer Petras knows his limitations and will do well in life because of that awareness.
Kirk, on the other hand, has a legacy that is crumbling harder than Hayden Fry.
At least, Hayden Fry sent some assistants on to better things, which was a big reason for his decline.

It’s moments like these that make you realize that $ comes at someone’s expense.
Job security for Brian Ferentz and he knows it.

Brian Ferentz could not care less, as long as the check is being signed he is happy.
Brian Feretz is a coward for letting Petras face the media and critics alone.

I’m sure Spencer Petras knows his limitations and will do well in life because of that awareness.
Kirk, on the other hand, has a legacy that is crumbling harder than Hayden Fry.
At least, Hayden Fry sent some assistants on to better things, which was a big reason for his decline.

It’s moments like these that make you realize that $ comes at someone’s expense.
Job security for Brian Ferentz and he knows it.
Iowa has a policy that assistants don't do media after games.

And they rotate 1 assistant every Tuesday I think for the mid-week pressers (Brian unsurprisingly goes early in the year so he doesn't have to answer questions).

People can ask Kirk all they want why Brian isn't available after games and he's just going to regurgitate the same shit about assistants not doing media after the game.

If someone said, "Why can't we talk to Brian when we talk to Spencer every game?" he's just going to say, "Our policy is that assistants don't take questions after the game. You can ask me questions."

"Would you consider changing that policy?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"It's just our policy that other coaches don't take questions after games and I don't see any reason to change that right now."

Read the above in KF's voice and tell me it isn't scary.

He's at the point now where no one would hold it against him in the least if he decided to step down.

He should step down.
He'd be looked at as a quitter to his teammates. He's not going to do that.. But that's why I like him. It's why the coaches and teammates all like him. He's got the right attitude and has always conducted himself the right way. He just isn't a D1 level qb. It's not his fault that either the QBs behind him aren't any better or the coaches won't at least find out if that's true or not.

This is why everything is at an impasse right here. Nothing changes regardless of the bad results. And it's why my apathy towards this part of everything is growing and growing. I go back and forth on it between being pissed frustrated and just don't give a shit. And we have 6 more weeks of it

Here is an idea.

Fire the OL coach. Make Brian Ferentz the new OL coach and co-offensive coordinator.

Promote John Budmyr to the new QB coach and co-offensive coordinator. Then let Budmyr do the play calling.

Iowa has a policy that assistants don't do media after games.

I actually 'get' the reason. It's to protect them from any heat.
It's the captain who goes down with the ship.

I mean...I totally get it.

But then you gotta be the ship captain to the rest of your crew and show your QB who's basically just the lead deckhand he's not the only one taking heat. Even if he didn't see the iceberg until it was too late.

The problem is the binoculars were locked in a cabinet he couldn't access. The decision was made to steam ahead full when there was ice in the area. And instead of going full reverse and hitting the thing more square and making a smaller breach, they maintained speed and tried to steer away, opening a huge gash.
In a boat that at the outset was not designed to have fully closeable watertight compartments. And to top it off, there weren't enough lifeboats for everyone. They left through the portal. (The parallels here are coming to me almost nonstop).

Also, surely, the university has zero interest in giving media any access to Brian. There are too many questions unrelated to the game that could come up.

If memory serves, Brian did do a media Q & A several years ago and completely stepped in it. It was so bad that Kirk had to come back later and bail junior out.

If memory serves, Brian did do a media Q & A several years ago and completely stepped in it. It was so bad that Kirk had to come back later and bail junior out.
With pending litigation, Brain is not going to see any microphones.

I'm 100% sure that Kirk has sat in a room with lawyers who, at the very least, had long discussions about how to react to certain questions. If not, full-on dress rehearsals along the lines of candidates prepping for debates.

Which I've neglected to consider until earlier today. It changes Brain's availability. It puts Kirk in a position where he's responding just like a political candidate. "I'm for clean air and water." (To be fair, he's always been this way).

And Petras is like the press secretary who has zero policy input, but has to face the brunt of the wrath of the white house press pool.

Latest posts