Spencer Is Officially Toast

Fry I couldn’t agree with you more.

When it was announced that Brian was going to be the QB coach, I was just beside myself. Just speechless. He should have been let go but instead is given given MORE responsibility by being put in charge of a position that is the most important position on the offense of which Brian has ZERO experience.

Still scratching my head on this one. My pure speculation was that it would either be temporary and they are waiting for another coach next year or that Brian was blaming the former QB coach for offensive failures and this was Kirk’s way of Kirk saying “ok Brian this is your baby now……… no more excuses.”

Again, Pure speculation on my part but how else do you explain the stupidity of the whole thing?
I was dreaming of a rising star moving his way up the ladder of coaching success and latching on to him. Someone with fresh ideals and proven resume. Then we got Brian.

If Brian / Kirk does not go with Labas and/or Padilla for the remainder of what is now a lost season, they forfeit any right to use 'lack of QB experience' as an excuse for next year's offensive malaise.
Exhibit A, Vandenberg starting his last game with no bowl game on the line. Then the first thing Kirk said next year is "We have a very inexperienced QB". He is all about built in excuses.

I was dreaming of a rising star moving his way up the ladder of coaching success and latching on to him. Someone with fresh ideals and proven resume. Then we got Brian.
To be fair he played in the Big Ten and did do some coaching in the NFL. I think most people on here are pretty fair minded and thought what the heck, if he can bring the best of both worlds and incorporate it into Iowa football then maybe things will be ok. I think everyone was pretty patient even after last year’s struggles. This should be his year as it’s his recruits and the players should have the playbook down. I expressed some skepticism having lost Goodson, one of the nations best offensive linemen, and two of our better receivers. Still I thought that maybe some on here that have more time to follow recruiting knew something about the younger players than I did not.

If you love the team you still want whats best for them and the coaches. I was hoping after we throttled Ohio State that, that was Brian’s coming out party. Was more like a shooting star that fizzled out and died. Very disappointing.

Last season was really an anomaly. Offense sucked then too but this year instead of making strides as most of us had hoped, thus far we have cratered. If we lose the next two games we are dead in the water. I am mainly talking about the second game against Northwestern. The next game in two weeks we won’t even talk about. I may take out a life insurance policy on Spencer. I feel for the kid. Lose to Northwestern the week after that and we might not win another game.

All they gained as far as points are concerned was 3 Field Goals

Nothing to brag about

They were fortunate to win the game
My point being that IL knew they wouldn't need a hell of a lot to beat us.... Defensively they didn't do anything that'd blow it and give up a cheap TD. They played smart. Even backed us up the couple times we got in the red zone.

Our D is damn good too. I'm not going to take anything away from them. ILs QB got hurt and yet backup played ok. He damn near fumbled it away though. Had his forearm not been down everyone would be looking at that game differently. So yes IL had a little luck I'd say too.

Bielema is a good coach. He's turned that place into something respectable a hell of a lot faster then most would have thought. I wouldn't say they are on the verge of being ranked or anything but they sure as hell aren't what they had been the last 5-10 yrs

This whole mess aint about Petras folks....
I'd hope most realize that. If offensive system and situational play calling was worth 2 cents along with an Oline and WR group worth their weight then yeah we'd be better then ok with Petras still. Look back no further then the last couple yrs. We won games despite him. But Petras being the medicore Qb that he is can't be hidden with all those issues as well. The reason for that is Non mobile Qbs that are inaccurate as he is are a huge issue. Being able to run the ball and get into 3rd and manageable situations is paramount. Our O constantly getting into 3rd and longs and asking Petras to try and convert those is a nightmare. The numbers on it don't lie..

Reactions: haw
My biggest pet peeve is when people/media call college age players "kids". I freagin hate it. They are not kids.

I heard sports talk guy the other day refer to an NFL player as a kid. WTF!! Maybe that is part of our problem in society with these young adults.
You're not wrong - these same 'kids' are also in our military. I dont think too many 'kids' are in the military.

I watched it - I actually enjoyed listening to someone actually talk about strategy and coverages.

Usually its a bunch of nothing.

Petras obviously understands football concepts and coverages.

The issue is flat out he isn't an accurate enough thrower of a football for this level of competition

I watched it - I actually enjoyed listening to someone actually talk about strategy and coverages.

Usually its a bunch of nothing.

Petras obviously understands football concepts and coverages.

The issue is flat out he isn't an accurate enough thrower of a football for this level of competition
Especially on the run and being chased.

Latest posts