Speculation: Did Padilla threaten to leave?

Wish it wasn't an either-or situation.
LeVar Woods. He's a Fry player, head-to-toe Hawkeye rooted in Iowa, and he could be the next 30 year face of our football program if he had 5-6 years at a coordinator spot first.

People don't seem to realize because we've been spoiled with consistency for the past 40 plus years, but when KF leaves and Woods isn't the next in line, the Fry era/way/philosophy is dead.

Kaput.

If that happens there's a better than 80% chance that we regress into nebraska/Illinois territory where a bunch of goober coaches come in making promises and F up our program for 4 years before leaving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6uFA5Mvhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lK2-zwwZZU

Last edited:
I kinda thought the guy would look around and take an OC job in the MAC or Mountain West or even an HC job at a lower level possibly. (Not sure he's deserving of that but crazier things have happened) But I figured he can't stay over 5 yrs somewhere under his Dad with the resume he's putting together. I figured he he'd fly out of Daddies nest for awhile maybe that'd be better overall for him. Hell not just Iowa.

But all I can think of now is since we are going into yr 6 with him at the helm it's full speed ahead and he and KF are all in on how this is going to play out. Sink or swim it is what it is and not only is this year interesting but looking ahead to next yr who's going to get the QB job then amongst the up and coming kids? Granted that's a long ways off but we'll see.

What BF has done in regards to his career at Iowa is just take himself totally out of the running for replacing his Dad. It's laughable to suggest he'd be in the running for it now. I'd say Woods should be at the top of the list with Wallace. I only leave off Parker because we know he has no aspirations of it otherwise he's the no brainer. But BF couldn't be handed the job in 1 yr 2 yrs or even 3 almost no matter what happens inbetween now and then. If we all of a sudden turn into Bama or Oklahoma and light up the scoreboard I'll eat my crow gladly. But I doubt anybody would bet differently on that.

Agree with what you are saying, but the funny thing is, maybe he could be a better lead of a program than a coordinator. I mean these coordinators are so specialized. But, maybe a guy could facilitate and run the daily operations better.

Now I'm not saying he's ready for that, but I am simply pointing out that maybe certain individuals are better at running the functions instead of game planning and calling plays. They are two very different things.

I haven't seen much from the national perspective, but I believe it. I'd be surprised if it was different. The numbers are the numbers there's no spinning them. I mean it's actually head scratching impressive that we've won despite them. But literally no OC has a 5 yr resume like BF and maintains his job. Those guys have short leashes nowadays. BF should literally split his salary with Woods and Parker
They call that an anomaly.

I think this year, if Spencer continues to choke when the play breaks down (after 2.5 seconds), he'll be replaced. The thing is, he'll have more time to throw the ball this year.

I think this year, if Spencer continues to choke when the play breaks down (after 2.5 seconds), he'll be replaced. The thing is, he'll have more time to throw the ball this year.
That's probably the $64k question that's next. How long of a leash does Petras have? If he has a bad game at first I don't think he's benched. Not if they win. He'd have to look pretty damn bad for that to happen to the point where it's not debatable.

But what if it's just an ok game and he has a bad first half against ISU and say we are down at half? Someone else start the 2nd? I wonder but heck if I know I doubt KF does either.

Agree with what you are saying, but the funny thing is, maybe he could be a better lead of a program than a coordinator. I mean these coordinators are so specialized. But, maybe a guy could facilitate and run the daily operations better.

Now I'm not saying he's ready for that, but I am simply pointing out that maybe certain individuals are better at running the functions instead of game planning and calling plays. They are two very different things.
Perhaps yeah. I think he's more fit for being an Oline coach myself. They juggled him around early on from Rb/TE before being OC to diversify his experience level but OL is home to him for obvious reasons. Same for his Dad. I just think he has no business being a QB coach and OC doesn't seem to be his cup of tea either.

That's probably the $64k question that's next. How long of a leash does Petras have? If he has a bad game at first I don't think he's benched. Not if they win. He'd have to look pretty damn bad for that to happen to the point where it's not debatable.
I think Petras has an infinite leash unless he gets hurt. That's what it was last year and I don't see it changing. We're gonna have to wait one more year to see a different QB and hopefully his name is Joey Labas.

LeVar Woods. He's a Fry player, head-to-toe Hawkeye rooted in Iowa, and he could be the next 30 year face of our football program if he had 5-6 years at a coordinator spot first.

People don't seem to realize because we've been spoiled with consistency for the past 40 plus years, but when KF leaves and Woods isn't the next in line, the Fry era/way/philosophy is dead.

Kaput.

If that happens there's a better than 80% chance that we regress into nebraska/Illinois territory where a bunch of goober coaches come in making promises and F up our program for 4 years before leaving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6uFA5Mvhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lK2-zwwZZU
Woods is my first choice to replace KF. Good luck to someone trying to convince me otherwise. I mean I'd say Parker is more deserving but he's self-aware of what that gig is all about and just doesn't want it. Put Woods in there and we can keep the train rolling for 10 plus years.

Bringing in someone anyone from outside the 'family' and that'd be a disaster. You could just about take that to the bank.

I think Petras has an infinite leash unless he gets hurt. That's what it was last year and I don't see it changing. We're gonna have to wait one more year to see a different QB and hopefully his name is Joey Labas.
What we don't know is has Labas/Padilla closed that gap at all? I mean if Padilla had played well he coulda Wally Pipped Petras. Alot of us were rooting for it. He just didn't take the bull by the horns either.

The last thing KF wants to do is change QBs especially early in the year because then it looks like they made the wrong decision all off season giving Petras the #1 reps all that time. And KF is stubborn if anything so yeah I don't think he wants to change. But how bad must the other 2 still be if Petras completing under 60% of his passes for less than 200 yards a game isn't bad enough to bench him?

There's a million what ifs. And if we win despite all the QB drama at the end of the day I suppose I'll have less to complain about.

Woods is my first choice to replace KF. Good luck to someone trying to convince me otherwise. I mean I'd say Parker is more deserving but he's self-aware of what that gig is all about and just doesn't want it. Put Woods in there and we can keep the train rolling for 10 plus years.

Bringing in someone anyone from outside the 'family' and that'd be a disaster. You could just about take that to the bank.
Woods has really grown on me and would be good choice for head coach, but I still believe Phil Parker deserves to at least be asked first. If Parker turns it down, then I would rate Woods as the #2 internal choice.

I think Petras has an infinite leash as long as Iowa is winning.

I think Petras has an infinite leash as long as Iowa is winning.
I disagree. Unless he gets hurt he’s under center no matter what.

And to be honest, I don’t think it matters. Padilla got a test drive last year and it was pretty much the same thing. We just need a more elite QB than what we have in the 1 & 2 spots. Is what it is until next year.

I disagree. Unless he gets hurt he’s under center no matter what.

And to be honest, I don’t think it matters. Padilla got a test drive last year and it was pretty much the same thing. We just need a more elite QB than what we have in the 1 & 2 spots. Is what it is until next year.

You are right it doesn't matter. The QB position will just have to be serviceable. Super hot take on my part, Tory Taylor and whoever wins the FG kicking job will be just as important as the QB.:)

You are right it doesn't matter. The QB position will just have to be serviceable. Super hot take on my part, Tory Taylor and whoever wins the FG kicking job will be just as important as the QB.:)
Replace Taylor with Rastetter last year and we have 2-3 more losses. Tory is critical to this team.

Woods has really grown on me and would be good choice for head coach, but I still believe Phil Parker deserves to at least be asked first. If Parker turns it down, then I would rate Woods as the #2 internal choice.

I keep hearing Woods name for a head coach. But, has he really been groomed enough to make that leap or at a P5 level. I mean he's been a good coordinator and seems to recruit and relate to the players well, but, is the resume there at this point?

Why do people keep linking him to head coaching jobs. I mean I know him from youth sports and my sons have even played on the same team with his son a few years. I've spoken on a light note at games with him a couple occasions as well as his wife. They seem to be a great family and stand-up people so I hope he goes down that road, but just not sure the connection with his name being mentioned as a HC at this time.

Anybody else wonder why he's being mentioned all the time? Fill me in, I guess.

I guess I'd throw out this name: Jay Norvell. Guy's had coaching at all positions and was successful at Nevada; may be successful at Colorado St as well. He's a former Hawkeye under Hayden who went on to the NFL.