Speculation: Did Padilla threaten to leave?

The worst part about this is Iowa is at a point now where there's no question of nepotism. Regardless of the number of wins, zero P5 teams not named Vanderbilt or Kansas have ever or would ever keep an OC for 6 years with an average offensive rank of 104th in the country.

Iowa is winning games in spite of Brian Ferentz. He's doing nothing to help the team win, he's actually holding it back. Phil Parker is the guy winning Iowa football games. There's some legitimate debate as to how much freedom BF has from Kurt, but the fact still remains that he's the worst to ever do the job and keep it for 6 years. Let that sit on your brain for a while.
Amen hallelujah. One Spencer Petras could be included to that sentence too. Iowa's won a lot of games with Petras. That's the only reason he's not been replaced too. Well not the only reason the other being that Padilla and Labas haven't evidently looked good enough in practice either. But point remains.

How the next few yrs play out will be very interesting. Because BF isn't going anywhere. It's not like BF can get much worse. Is 8, 9 or 10 yrs of having the 100th or worse offense going to be a thing? We should be a laughing stock now with him still having a job but how ridiculous would that be? Because he'll be the coach here for KFs duration the only question is how will the offense end up doing

Iowa is winning games in spite of Brian Ferentz.

Meh, I remember Greg Davis. I'll take Brian. The o-line completely shit the bed when Brian became OC. If they shore up the o-line I think Brian will be a solid coordinator. I see what he's trying to do but when the line blows ass your playbook is shit.

It is tough for me to justify staying with BF in his position given the data posted earlier presenting his record. It is, in short, a disaster. I don’t hate BF. He seems to be a good man, hard working, and a skilled coach, as shown by his performance before his current position. His record is not entirely his fault, of course. The variables are many.
KF must move his son to a different position on the staff where he is a competent coach. Outright firing would be more trouble than it’s worth. If BF doesn’t approve of his new position, he can resign. I place KF’s value as our head coach very high, but this failed experiment must end.

It is tough for me to justify staying with BF in his position given the data posted earlier presenting his record. It is, in short, a disaster. I don’t hate BF. He seems to be a good man, hard working, and a skilled coach, as shown by his performance before his current position. His record is not entirely his fault, of course. The variables are many.
KF must move his son to a different position on the staff where he is a competent coach. Outright firing would be more trouble than it’s worth. If BF doesn’t approve of his new position, he can resign. I place KF’s value as our head coach very high, but this failed experiment must end.
Nice post.

I kinda thought the guy would look around and take an OC job in the MAC or Mountain West or even an HC job at a lower level possibly. (Not sure he's deserving of that but crazier things have happened) But I figured he can't stay over 5 yrs somewhere under his Dad with the resume he's putting together. I figured he he'd fly out of Daddies nest for awhile maybe that'd be better overall for him. Hell not just Iowa.

But all I can think of now is since we are going into yr 6 with him at the helm it's full speed ahead and he and KF are all in on how this is going to play out. Sink or swim it is what it is and not only is this year interesting but looking ahead to next yr who's going to get the QB job then amongst the up and coming kids? Granted that's a long ways off but we'll see.

What BF has done in regards to his career at Iowa is just take himself totally out of the running for replacing his Dad. It's laughable to suggest he'd be in the running for it now. I'd say Woods should be at the top of the list with Wallace. I only leave off Parker because we know he has no aspirations of it otherwise he's the no brainer. But BF couldn't be handed the job in 1 yr 2 yrs or even 3 almost no matter what happens inbetween now and then. If we all of a sudden turn into Bama or Oklahoma and light up the scoreboard I'll eat my crow gladly. But I doubt anybody would bet differently on that.

Last edited:
That's one of the many problems with nepotism. KF will never demote his kid. Never. It'd make both of them look like dumbasses and that's just not going to happen.

And it's to everyone's detriment but Kurt and Brain.

KF is going to lose the last chance he has at successfully continuing the Hayden Fry culture (LeVar Woods), and in the process he's going to let the ship go down with all of us fans on it after Brain becomes head coach.

So if you're thinking about KF's value and legacy, that has to be part of it too. I'm not saying get rid of Kurt, but him stubbornly letting his kid be a hindrance to the football program and stymie Iowa from winning more ballgames, that's a reeeaaally big tarnished spot on his legacy.

What BF has done in regards to his career at Iowa is just take himself totally out of the running for replacing his Dad. It's laughable to suggest he'd be in the running for it now.
I guarantee you he's in the running for it. As long as KF is breathing, his kid is gonna have a better than 80% chance of being the head coach here.

I know people say, "There's no way he could be a head coach, he has no resume..."

But he had no resume, experience, or results before he became OC either. With father/son connections, nothing is out of the realm of possibility except for making objective, rational decisions.

That's one of the many problems with nepotism. KF will never demote his kid. Never. It'd make both of them look like dumbasses and that's just not going to happen.

And it's to everyone's detriment but Kurt and Brain.

KF is going to lose the last chance he has at successfully continuing the Hayden Fry culture (LeVar Woods), and in the process he's going to let the ship go down with all of us fans on it after Brain becomes head coach.

So if you're thinking about KF's value and legacy, that has to be part of it too. I'm not saying get rid of Kurt, but him stubbornly letting his kid be a hindrance to the football program and stymie Iowa from winning more ballgames, that's a reeeaaally big tarnished spot on his legacy.
How many folks would be pissed off if say after next yr Woods leaves for a job any job somewhere else and then KF retires the yr after that? If we miss on having Woods be KFs replacement due to just 'timing' I sure won't be a happy camper.

How many folks would be pissed off if say after next yr Woods leaves for a job any job somewhere else and then KF retires the yr after that? If we miss on having Woods be KFs replacement due to just 'timing' I sure won't be a happy camper.
Woods will be a HC in more than one CFP playoff. Write it down.

Whether he does it at Iowa or not is up to KF and the donors who love him. Not the BOR, and certainly not Barry Farta.

I guarantee you he's in the running for it. As long as KF is breathing, his kid is gonna have a better than 80% chance of being the head coach here.

I know people say, "There's no way he could be a head coach, he has no resume..."

But he had no resume, experience, or results before he became OC either. With father/son connections, nothing is out of the realm of possibility except for making objective, rational decisions.
God I hope you're wrong. But I can't put the farm on it. Barta is a piece to this pie too. Does he stick around to replace KF or does he retire before he does? If Barta is around you have a chance at being right. All bets are off with a new AD

Unless BF performs a miracle and builds a solid O over the next couple of years, no way will he become head coach at Iowa.

Amen hallelujah. One Spencer Petras could be included to that sentence too. Iowa's won a lot of games with Petras. That's the only reason he's not been replaced too. Well not the only reason the other being that Padilla and Labas haven't evidently looked good enough in practice either. But point remains.

How the next few yrs play out will be very interesting. Because BF isn't going anywhere. It's not like BF can get much worse. Is 8, 9 or 10 yrs of having the 100th or worse offense going to be a thing? We should be a laughing stock now with him still having a job but how ridiculous would that be? Because he'll be the coach here for KFs duration the only question is how will the offense end up doing
If you read the preseason write-ups (for whatever they're worth) our offense is a laughing stock.

Meh, I remember Greg Davis. I'll take Brian. The o-line completely shit the bed when Brian became OC. If they shore up the o-line I think Brian will be a solid coordinator. I see what he's trying to do but when the line blows ass your playbook is shit.
I would hope there are more options for OC other than only Brian or Greg Davis.

I don't think Padilla was promised anything. He sees what we all see, he knows Petras is vulnerable as the starter. Why not roll the dice and see what happens.

1660172464180.png

1660172608253.png

Padilla has a few other tricks up his sleeve for starting time. ;)

Nah, aren't they a tight nit group rooting each other on?

I don't think Padilla was promised anything. He sees what we all see, he knows Petras is vulnerable as the starter. Why not roll the dice and see what happens.

Of course he wasn't. If he rolled in to Ferentz's office talking shit, I could just picture Kurt blowing the dust off a VHS tape, throwing it into some fancy TV/VCR combo in his office and saying "buddy, 'splain to me who the hell is gonna watch this tape of you filling your pants with shit and say to himself 'THAT KID RIGHT THERE IS THE FUTURE OF THIS PROGRAM.'"

If you read the preseason write-ups (for whatever they're worth) our offense is a laughing stock.
I haven't seen much from the national perspective, but I believe it. I'd be surprised if it was different. The numbers are the numbers there's no spinning them. I mean it's actually head scratching impressive that we've won despite them. But literally no OC has a 5 yr resume like BF and maintains his job. Those guys have short leashes nowadays. BF should literally split his salary with Woods and Parker

Of course he wasn't. If he rolled in to Ferentz's office talking shit, I could just picture Kurt blowing the dust off a VHS tape, throwing it into some fancy TV/VCR combo in his office and saying "buddy, 'splain to me who the hell is gonna watch this tape of you filling your pants with shit and say to himself 'THAT KID RIGHT THERE IS THE FUTURE OF THIS PROGRAM.'"
You don't think Kurt is a BetaMax man?

Wish it wasn't an either-or situation.

Latest posts