Speculation: Did Padilla threaten to leave?

Good take Melrose (and I would not doubt there is a lot of that going on with reading the defense, etc)....it just seems though...the end result....we see a predictable offense over and over again running into brick walls and a QB that can't consistently hit a receiver in stride. It is frustrating.

If it is that freaking hard to grasp....you would think they would simplify it and therefore maybe they could run more plays that the players could execute.

Point #1 is valid and plays into my response to OK4P message about teams forcing Iowa into an audible where they can defend the more predictable plays better. Much of this issue is on the O coordinator and not trusting the QB to make plays. Sometimes they overthink it. Dantonio and Mich St. in the past were great at doing this against Iowa. At the line, they'd show a LB look like they were going to split a gap and blitz, and Iowa would audible a run opposite that side. Mich St. would pull out of it and not blitz and defend the predictable run. Happened all the time. I think NW as well. I'd like to see some more quick reads to the middle of the field behind the LB's more with Iowa.

Point #2 is legit and you do hear this with many coaches. They know to limit and just run what they know well. I think Iowa may limit their young QB's to 1-2 reads and maybe as they get older increase that. But, doesn't your point in #2 kind of counter your and many peoples argument that Iowa runs the same ole' simple stuff??

Point #1 is valid and plays into my response to OK4P message about teams forcing Iowa into an audible where they can defend the more predictable plays better. Much of this issue is on the O coordinator and not trusting the QB to make plays. Sometimes they overthink it. Dantonio and Mich St. in the past were great at doing this against Iowa. At the line, they'd show a LB look like they were going to split a gap and blitz, and Iowa would audible a run opposite that side. Mich St. would pull out of it and not blitz and defend the predictable run. Happened all the time. I think NW as well. I'd like to see some more quick reads to the middle of the field behind the LB's more with Iowa.

Point #2 is legit and you do hear this with many coaches. They know to limit and just run what they know well. I think Iowa may limit their young QB's to 1-2 reads and maybe as they get older increase that. But, doesn't your point in #2 kind of counter your and many peoples argument that Iowa runs the same ole' simple stuff??
I think you illustrate it well.....the offense just overthinks things. Perhaps, with Point 2. I don't know, maybe just run something until they can stop it....then have your counters to their counters. More of the Hayden Fry philosophy....scratch where it itches. But, all the changing up on the fly might be paralysis by analysis. The QB is to concerned with what might happen instead of just focusing on running that play call well. Of course, there are advantages to being able to audible because you think/know what the defense is going to do....but like you allude to it is a balancing act and the defensive coordinators could very well be playing head games with the Iowa QBs and OC.

One thing you can admire about Wisconsin...they say put a hat on hat and see if your guys can block our guys and if they can, tip your cap to them. Straight ahead, power game, simple. Our guys do far to much dancing with the stars getting behind the chains.

Last edited:
Iowa QB steps back. Screams something left. Screams something right. Turns and scream to the TB. 99% of an off tackle run on Count One. Its only a question of which way. Can we at least go on Count II every once in a while??????

It's not that simple though. This ain't high school where the QB calls the play and the offense just runs up to the line and runs the called play. The QB is reviewing the coverage a lot, determining if a lot of stuff at the line, then add into it all the throws they have to make. Yes, it's like that at most universities/colleges, but there are some where the coaches just run simpler and gimmicky shit. LIke I have heard that Mike Leach always ran pretty simple systems that were not too in depth.. He just aired it out against teams and the offense was quite limited.

Iowa does a lot of motion at the line in their offense to help the QB info gather, like tipping him if the defense is in man or zone. That is the first thing to find out as that will help guide him in said play. Then he looking at where the safety may go to help cover and who may be left one on one, etc. There is a lot of stuff behind just going up the line and calling the play. Iowa's system requires a smart and heady player. Those that master that have an advantage. But, that doesn't mean they will read and react quick passing to windows. That is a whole other skill set. Much of that depends on the line to protect and a successful running game. Finding a player that can master the intricacies of the offense and making the throws is tough. Iowa lately seems to have gotten QB's who are good at one thing but may lack in the other. Stanley had a good grasp but was a statue, so was limited by that.

This plays into the argument about Iowa getting a one and done QB from the portal. It just wouldn't happen for the reasons stated above about how long it takes to grasp their offense.

Bill Belichick runs the same or very similar system at New England, and everybody loves him because he had Tom Brady for all those years and it worked.

Kirk Ferentz runs the same or very similar system and people are all over him because it doesn't always work that well or they assume he runs a simple system with limited plays. It's just not the case. Ferentz worked under Belichick and really runs a similar system as well as practices and camps.

At the risk of stating the obvious....
We have the 120th ranked offense in FBS.
I believe the scheme is more complicated than necessary to be that bad.

Virtually every team has more offense than Iowa.
The complex schemes.
The simple schemes.
The teams with less talent.
I'd be curious to know the records of those schools with worse Os. I'll go out on a limb and say none of them also had 10 wins did they? To have such a bad O and win is hard to comprehend.

I'd be curious to know the records of those schools with worse Os. I'll go out on a limb and say none of them also had 10 wins did they? To have such a bad O and win is hard to comprehend.

But Iowa's defense was a key last year with all the turnovers leaving Iowa a short field. Without that, Iowa does not get to 10 wins. No way. Iowa was abysmal at long drives last year. Iowa can't count on that number of INT's and turnovers to bail them out this year. Also, Iowa's schedule was not murder's row.

I think the Ferentz's realize the D bailed them out last year. They realize the offense was not up to par and needs to get better.

It's not that simple though. This ain't high school where the QB calls the play and the offense just runs up to the line and runs the called play. The QB is reviewing the coverage a lot, determining if a lot of stuff at the line, then add into it all the throws they have to make. Yes, it's like that at most universities/colleges, but there are some where the coaches just run simpler and gimmicky shit. LIke I have heard that Mike Leach always ran pretty simple systems that were not too in depth.. He just aired it out against teams and the offense was quite limited.

Iowa does a lot of motion at the line in their offense to help the QB info gather, like tipping him if the defense is in man or zone. That is the first thing to find out as that will help guide him in said play. Then he looking at where the safety may go to help cover and who may be left one on one, etc. There is a lot of stuff behind just going up the line and calling the play. Iowa's system requires a smart and heady player. Those that master that have an advantage. But, that doesn't mean they will read and react quick passing to windows. That is a whole other skill set. Much of that depends on the line to protect and a successful running game. Finding a player that can master the intricacies of the offense and making the throws is tough. Iowa lately seems to have gotten QB's who are good at one thing but may lack in the other. Stanley had a good grasp but was a statue, so was limited by that.

This plays into the argument about Iowa getting a one and done QB from the portal. It just wouldn't happen for the reasons stated above about how long it takes to grasp their offense.

Bill Belichick runs the same or very similar system at New England, and everybody loves him because he had Tom Brady for all those years and it worked.

Kirk Ferentz runs the same or very similar system and people are all over him because it doesn't always work that well or they assume he runs a simple system with limited plays. It's just not the case. Ferentz worked under Belichick and really runs a similar system as well as practices and camps.
High schools have been calling plays and blocking schemes at the line since at least the 70s. In some ways Iowa isn't that sophisticated. I will never understand the OSU demolishing.

High schools have been calling plays and blocking schemes at the line since at least the 70s. In some ways Iowa isn't that sophisticated. I will never understand the OSU demolishing.
Yea but my point is blocking for Iowa's pro zone block style is completely different than blocking for the schemes that are happening today, like the spread and spread zone option reads, etc.. When I watch my boys play and the offense they run, it is completely different than what we ran in the 1980's. I mean one utilizes TE play, the other doesn't unless they have some hybrid plays.

It's difficult for a coaching staff to change identify and teach a scheme that is completely different for their main offense. That's my point.

Yea but my point is blocking for Iowa's pro zone block style is completely different than blocking for the schemes that are happening today, like the spread and spread zone option reads, etc.. When I watch my boys play and the offense they run, it is completely different than what we ran in the 1980's. I mean one utilizes TE play, the other doesn't unless they have some hybrid plays.

It's difficult for a coaching staff to change identify and teach a scheme that is completely different for their main offense. That's my point.
If your offense is mired in the bottom quartile consistently, why wouldn't you try to change things?

If your offense is mired in the bottom quartile consistently, why wouldn't you try to change things?
I believe Iowa has tried a lot of different things over the last several seasons, including a new OC, but when you are winning over 70-72% of your games in one of the 2 elite power conferences in the country, you don't have to stray too much from what is working. Iowa's offense is terrible, their program isn't. Big difference. If there offense was better, we'd find another spot that they fall short in. If it comes down to wins and losses, it's a small list of teams that are doing that better than Iowa.

There are many ingredients to the recipe that are involved. Sometimes the recipe is good, but if you don't have enough of one or two ingredients, it's bad. Why does the same system work in the NFL for many teams or why does it work for Alabama?

I'm not saying you aren't correct in trying to tweak the system or make it better. I'm saying that it's not always the system that is bad and changing your coaching or team's identity may not work as easily as some would believe, just because it sounds like the thing to do.

The system can work and KF has proven in multiple seasons that it has with many 10 win seasons and even the undefeated regular season in 2015. It's just that sometimes colleges coaches don't have all the ingredients needed to make their shit run smooth.

Last year o-line was lacking a bit which affects the running game and the passing game. Yes, Petras was a little inconsistent but Padilla was as well. Everything has to jive together which is challenging for coaches, especially in college. In NFL, the talent and depth at the positions can provide more consistency for their schemes. In college, sometimes it's a crap shoot.

I appreciate your thoughts and debate! :)

Last edited:
I believe Iowa has tried a lot of different things over the last several seasons, including a new OC, but when you are winning over 70-72% of your games in one of the 2 elite power conferences in the country, you don't have to stray too much from what is working. Iowa's offense is terrible, their program isn't. Big difference. If there offense was better, we'd find another spot that they fall short in. If it comes down to wins and losses, it's a small list of teams that are doing that better than Iowa.
Well stated. There are a loooooot of teams who wished they could have the success of Iowa from year to year and wish they could have a Kirk Ferentz leading their program.

You hear that from analyst, media and opposing teams coaches that Iowa is viewed as a tough game by pretty much all teams, including blue bloods. They all know they are going to get a tough, disciplined team. When you hear opposing coaches say "You know what you are going to get from Iowa. Iowa doesn't change much." That is actually a compliment when you think about it. That is saying this team has an identity.

You know what team hasn't had an identity the last 20 years? Nebraska. Nebraska hasn't had an identify and have been changing coaches and playing styles like underwear, and look where that has gotten them.

To be accurate, Ferentz B10 winning percentage is 58% in "one of the two elite power conferences".
Better than average, but as my grade school teachers told me when i offered such a defense - 'there is room for improvement'.

To be accurate, Ferentz B10 winning percentage is 58% in "one of the two elite power conferences".
Better than average, but as my grade school teachers told me when i offered such a defense - 'there is room for improvement
Lots of room for improvement, we just need to win and keep winning a lot of games and as long as we do that I’m fairly satisfied regardless of whatever method they use. Iowa is in the top 25 in wins the last decade, let’s not act like that’s a bad, its pretty good. Of course it can be better, but short of removing the man who’s got us this far, there’s no more certain path forward then the one they’re on. Keep doing it, as long as they can. Keep winning. That’s not a guarantee at Iowa in this next chapter of college sports. enjoy winning. A lot teams don’t win a lot.

Ok yes to a degree. However this kinda bleeds into the whole transfer portal philosophy too. Just because you're winning more than some doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. In our case a significant amount of it. To not really try or not try as much as you could just because you're good with winning 9 or 10 games shouldn't fly. Getting our asses kicked in the BIG title game shouldn't be something to be Ok with. We should be trying to get better all the time. Let's not compare ourselves to teams behind us but those ahead of us. Plateauing is how teams catch you.

We aren't Bama and GA obviously. But you know what they and a lot of other programs are doing? They make changes and are looking to improve all the time. Being happy with plateauing isn't a thing for them and I'd hope we wouldn't be either.

How many programs have an OC going into yr 6 with the resume BF does? Here's where the offense has been rated under BF so far here it is by the numbers. Far be it for us to not want to improve on this...

2017 - 117 (Brian Ferentz)
2018 - 92 (Brian Ferentz)
2019 - 99 (Brian Ferentz)
2020 - 88 (Brian Ferentz)
2021 - 124 (Brian Ferentz

Ok yes to a degree. However this kinda bleeds into the whole transfer portal philosophy too. Just because you're winning more than some doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. In our case a significant amount of it. To not really try or not try as much as you could just because you're good with winning 9 or 10 games shouldn't fly. Getting our asses kicked in the BIG title game shouldn't be something to be Ok with. We should be trying to get better all the time. Let's not compare ourselves to teams behind us but those ahead of us. Plateauing is how teams catch you.

We aren't Bama and GA obviously. But you know what they and a lot of other programs are doing? They make changes and are looking to improve all the time. Being happy with plateauing isn't a thing for them and I'd hope we wouldn't be either.

How many programs have an OC going into yr 6 with the resume BF does? Here's where the offense has been rated under BF so far here it is by the numbers. Far be it for us to not want to improve on this...

2017 - 117 (Brian Ferentz)
2018 - 92 (Brian Ferentz)
2019 - 99 (Brian Ferentz)
2020 - 88 (Brian Ferentz)
2021 - 124 (Brian Ferentz
The worst part about this is Iowa is at a point now where there's no question of nepotism. Regardless of the number of wins, zero P5 teams not named Vanderbilt or Kansas have ever or would ever keep an OC for 6 years with an average offensive rank of 104th in the country.

Iowa is winning games in spite of Brian Ferentz. He's doing nothing to help the team win, he's actually holding it back. Phil Parker is the guy winning Iowa football games. There's some legitimate debate as to how much freedom BF has from Kurt, but the fact still remains that he's the worst to ever do the job and keep it for 6 years. Let that sit on your brain for a while.