South Endozone

DunderMifflinHk

I've heard a lot of people ask if Iowa is going renovate the south endzone to match the north endzone. Many writers have responded on Twitter that the south endzone is too new and that it houses both locker rooms and media rooms. A simple solution is to upgrade the south endzone by bowling it in. This would be the cheapest option without having to demolition the newer structure they just put in. There are huge gaps that you could fill with stands and luxury boxes that could close them. This would make the stadium louder and also get Kinnick above 70,000 plus again.

AR-301259976.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

AR-180229593.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

I like how you think, but this talk may be a little early.

Iowa seems to do a major renovation of parts of Kininick about every 12 years. So Iowa has some time to think before the next upgrade in 2030. I suggest finish this upgrade first and see what the fans like and don't like about the new north end zone, then Iowa can start planning the next stage.

Heck no they aren't going to do any new construction in the south as they just completed that renovation a couple years ago.

I agree that they won't be doing anything to the south seating any time soon, but that renovation was back in 2004. 14 years now. Doesn't seem like it's been that long. I'm getting old.

I agree that they won't be doing anything to the south seating any time soon, but that renovation was back in 2004. 14 years now. Doesn't seem like it's been that long. I'm getting old.
I had to look it up to be sure, but it was 2006.

"An $89 million Kinnick Stadium renovation in 2006 created luxury suites, a new press box and rebuilt a crumbling south end zone structure."

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowas-high-priced-kinnick-renovation-vital-in-keeping-up-with-peers

If the North end zone ends up being a hit; I can actually see them doing the south one sooner than later. If after, say, 5 years the north side gets good reviews about the club level, concessions, and bathrooms, the south end will be 20 years old and I bet they tear it out. With two really steep, really tall double decks Kinnick would be loud as shit. And don't forget that one of the biggest deciding factors for recruits is the game day experience and a loud, modern stadium never hurts.

I say as long as it's self-funded spend that cash and remodel the house, homie.

If the North end zone ends up being a hit; I can actually see them doing the south one sooner than later. If after, say, 5 years the north side gets good reviews about the club level, concessions, and bathrooms, the south end will be 20 years old and I bet they tear it out. With two really steep, really tall double decks Kinnick would be loud as shit. And don't forget that one of the biggest deciding factors for recruits is the game day experience and a loud, modern stadium never hurts.

I say as long as it's self-funded spend that cash and remodel the house, homie.
Yep, get it done before the BTN $$ runs out. Might as well do a major reno on Carver as well.

Heck no they aren't going to do any new construction in the south as they just completed that renovation a couple years ago.

Adding a structure in the gap between the east/west stands and the south endzone doesn't affect the existing stadium Just adds more seats and possibly luxury boxes and closes the gap. Not to mention it would make Kinnick louder. Ideally, like people have said, if the north endzone is a hit they should duplicate it in the south endzone.

Adding a structure in the gap between the east/west stands and the south endzone doesn't affect the existing stadium Just adds more seats and possibly luxury boxes and closes the gap. Not to mention it would make Kinnick louder. Ideally, like people have said, if the north endzone is a hit they should duplicate it in the south endzone.

One of the original reasons (that reads...excuses) give for not enclosing the South End Zone was poor or obstructed site lines for the seats that would have been in the corners. Bullshit. All they had to do was build it with similar pitch to the North and it would work. (The original South End Zone has full closure).

Who f***s these things up so regularly?

Closing the gap between the south endzone and the grandstands would also add 6,000 to 8,000 seats. We can't fill it now, let alone 78,000 people. Whatever they do needs to keep the capacity around 70,000 and not go below.

One of the original reasons (that reads...excuses) give for not enclosing the South End Zone was poor or obstructed site lines for the seats that would have been in the corners. Bullshit. All they had to do was build it with similar pitch to the North and it would work. (The original South End Zone has full closure).

Who f***s these things up so regularly?
People who aren't into sports and don't attend live sporting events regularly, i.e. architects, BOR members, Gary Barta...

It looks cool on a computer rendering and no one asks the real questions.

Latest posts