Sounds like KM gone at end of year

HaydenHawk56

Of course not a big surprise......he is on the half-time show of the Wisconsin/Indiana game. They asked him what it would be like to be the first Hawkeye to be drafted in the 1st round in forever and he basically said he loves playing for Iowa every night and will represent them the best he can in the draft (para-phrasing).

Any projected lottery pick has to go. Foolish not to. If he is projected late first or second, then arguments can be made. If there is a true question of whether he should go, I think he would err on the side of staying and playing with his brother on a team that could be salty. Right now, from everything I have read, there really isn't a true question of whether he should go.

source.gif

Top 10 lottery picks don't come back... He's also a yr older due to the extra yr of prep school they did. He'll be one of the older kids in the draft. This coulda been his JR yr of college

He’s definitely gone and while it sucks for us fans, this will only help our program. It’s not like Fran isn’t going to just slot another huge talent next season. At this point it’s more than a trend

Any projected lottery pick has to go. Foolish not to. If he is projected late first or second, then arguments can be made. If there is a true question of whether he should go, I think he would err on the side of staying and playing with his brother on a team that could be salty. Right now, from everything I have read, there really isn't a true question of whether he should go.
I always thought it was 1st or 2nd round in the NBA. I think the 1st and 2nd round draft picks get the guaranteed contracts.

Yea, if a player is predicted to be there, they are gone. You don't want to possibly have a fall-off the next year or worse, injury.

He doesn't have much to work on in his game as his style fits the current NBA.

Of course not a big surprise......he is on the half-time show of the Wisconsin/Indiana game. They asked him what it would be like to be the first Hawkeye to be drafted in the 1st round in forever and he basically said he loves playing for Iowa every night and will represent them the best he can in the draft (para-phrasing).
When you para-phrase things you heard, you seem to get it wrong. I’d suggest we wait until we hear more specifically from Keegan Murray.

I always thought it was 1st or 2nd round in the NBA. I think the 1st and 2nd round draft picks get the guaranteed contracts.

Yea, if a player is predicted to be there, they are gone. You don't want to possibly have a fall-off the next year or worse, injury.

He doesn't have much to work on in his game as his style fits the current NBA.
Only 1st round contracts are guaranteed.

Indeed, I don't think most second rounders make it to a team in the NBA. They usually wallow in the G league for a few years and then maybe head over seas.

Coming back for another year of college is not always the best move even if you are a projected second rounder. The NBA, more than the NFL, drafts on where you project as opposed to what you have shown. At some point, a guy hits his projected ceiling. Weiskamp could have come back and scored 25 a game this year, but it probably would not have raised his draft stock much. Now if Keegan jumped last year he might have been drafted, but he definitely raised his stock by coming back. He won't do much better if he has another year of college. Time to make millions, young man!

Also, moving forward, I see 3 other NBA prospects on this team the next couple years.

Patrick has an NBA game, but not an NBA body. But, he could play the 2 or 3 at the next level if his shooting keeps improving and he puts on some more weight. He is crafty at scoring and his length allows him to guard bigger and smaller guys. He is by no means draftable now, but if he keeps improving that outside shot, he could play at the next level.

Kris needs to follow his brothers path. He is already shown better this year than his brother did last year. He is not as athletic, but he could end up being a better shooter. Having a twin that gets drafted high cannot hurt.

Sanford could be the next Kyle Korver. Not saying he will be, but that kid is a deadly and confident shooter and he gets his shots off quickly. He has good size. I like what I have seen so far, but he is playing 10 minutes as a freshmen, so he gots some work to do.

Can't wait to see if these guys develop to that sort of potential. They have a lot of work to do. As someone said, Fran keeps churning out studs from overlooked prospects.

Also, moving forward, I see 3 other NBA prospects on this team the next couple years.

Patrick has an NBA game, but not an NBA body. But, he could play the 2 or 3 at the next level if his shooting keeps improving and he puts on some more weight. He is crafty at scoring and his length allows him to guard bigger and smaller guys. He is by no means draftable now, but if he keeps improving that outside shot, he could play at the next level.

Kris needs to follow his brothers path. He is already shown better this year than his brother did last year. He is not as athletic, but he could end up being a better shooter. Having a twin that gets drafted high cannot hurt.

Sanford could be the next Kyle Korver. Not saying he will be, but that kid is a deadly and confident shooter and he gets his shots off quickly. He has good size. I like what I have seen so far, but he is playing 10 minutes as a freshmen, so he gots some work to do.

Can't wait to see if these guys develop to that sort of potential. They have a lot of work to do. As someone said, Fran keeps churning out studs from overlooked prospects.
Sandfort is improving rapidly and should be the top scoring option on the team next year.

I also love how quick his release is. By this time next year as he gets stronger so will NBA scouts.

I agree with your assessment of P. Mac and Kris. If we assume Keegan is gone, then P Mac will have a much larger role next year. I love watching him play, assume he'll stick around longer, and he keeps getting better. If KM goes to the NBA, Kris will also step into his brother's shoes, and he and P Mac will rock the arena. I am also high on P. Sandfort. For a true freshman he is playing well, and will blossom with more playing time next year.

When you para-phrase things you heard, you seem to get it wrong. I’d suggest we wait until we hear more specifically from Keegan Murray.
Did you watch what he said? I watched it again to make sure I heard it right. He pretty much said he is gone based on his answer to the question that was asked of him.

Did you watch what he said? I watched it again to make sure I heard it right. He pretty much said he is gone based on his answer to the question that was asked of him.
when you tried to para-phrase Margaret, the consensus was you got it wrong. Maybe you should stick to exact quotes and skip the “interpretations”. Keegan is well spoken and when he wants to declare for the draft, I am sure it will be clear and we won’t need someone’s speculation.

when you tried to para-phrase Margaret, the consensus was you got it wrong. Maybe you should stick to exact quotes and skip the “interpretations”. Keegan is well spoken and when he wants to declare for the draft, I am sure it will be clear and we won’t need someone’s speculation.
More than speculation and I quoted Mrs. McCaffery exactly. Keegan said he will represent the U of I well in the draft and he is happy that he can do that for the University. And, that he is also happy to put the uniform on and play for Iowa every night.

We all figured this was likely to happen.....and all thing considered....if I was in his shoes I would make the jump as well (as hard as that would be leaving Iowa a place I love).

But, the fans in us, if there was that slim chance he would come back.....this interview did not help that cause.

Last edited:
Good grief. Here we go again.
Just to be clear Huck, I'm not going down the rabbit hole of this discussion. I'm just setting the record straight what I typed came directly from the podcast.

Beyond that, I have no desire to talk about what they said anymore. I may not have used " " on every adjective that was used.

Sandfort is improving rapidly and should be the top scoring option on the team next year.

I also love how quick his release is. By this time next year as he gets stronger so will NBA scouts.
He for sure needs to find the weight room. Against MD Ayalla I noticed bullied him around a few times. He'll want to toughen up some and he will. He's got a great skill set and with a shot like that it'll be tough to keep him off the floor