Sound off ? of the nite - WR group best in KF era

uihawk82

KF was asked postgame if this WR group is one of his best and he hemmed and hawed and then gave a non-descript, politically correct answer that they are doing a good job. This question was discussed a lot on Soundoff and some callers thought yes, some thought the 2010 group is the best.

I have to say that 2002 and around that time with Dallas Clark who had the speed to get downfield, Mo Brown, CJ Jones, and Ed Hinkle were the best group and really better than this years group. Of course this year's and last year's groups havent played all their football yet. But Hinkle was a great possession receiver with great hands, CJ had great speed, Mo Brown made people miss and could house it, and nothing needs to be said about how great Clark was. I think Kalil Hill was still on the team in 2001 and Kaspar might have been. Those were some great receiving groups.

How do you rate this years WR receiving group. Now if you add in last year's TEnds you could say last year was a top group also.

If the receivers and Nate can really connect down the stretch, this group will take the cake. If we keep having receivers running routes in the opposite direction of where Nate throws the ball, we won’t. There’s a ton of talent. Just from a pure talent standpoint, I think this WR group is the best. Can the coaches and Nate put it all together? That’s what will determine if their on field production places them in the top overall spot.

If the receivers and Nate can really connect down the stretch, this group will take the cake. If we keep having receivers running routes in the opposite direction of where Nate throws the ball, we won’t. There’s a ton of talent. Just from a pure talent standpoint, I think this WR group is the best. Can the coaches and Nate put it all together? That’s what will determine if their on field production places them in the top overall spot.
They will excel with an accurate passer directing the ball their way.

They will excel with an accurate passer directing the ball their way.
Most of Nate’s misses thus far have been schematic issues, e.g. Nate expected the receiver to turn toward the sideline, but he turned toward the middle, resulting in a throw that is either a total miss, or that receiver has to go back for. Fix those issues and Nate is at a floor of 65% completions, which is where we want his floor to be. From there, clean up drops and overthrows and we’re in the promised land.

Its early but the group has a big potential. It will be interesting to see them at their peak next year

If we are putting in nominations, that group from 2011 that included McNutt and KVM is worth mentioning. Trying to remember who the TE was on that team.

But if you look at many of records that WR's hold, many were held by those 2 WR's.

Most of Nate’s misses thus far have been schematic issues, e.g. Nate expected the receiver to turn toward the sideline, but he turned toward the middle, resulting in a throw that is either a total miss, or that receiver has to go back for. Fix those issues and Nate is at a floor of 65% completions, which is where we want his floor to be. From there, clean up drops and overthrows and we’re in the promised land.
All this optimism doesn't bode well for future Iowa success this year. Kirk is not the best historically as the "horse to beat." :)

Wisconsin and Northwestern await.

I'm not ready to anoint these guys anything yet. The potential is there but that's it for now. ISM seems to have speed and Smith seems to have size. Neither has shown consistency just yet and neither has shown the complete dominance a guy like McNutt showed.

One issue that I hope doesnt bite us in the ass is our seeming lack of a Tight End. Of course the WR's are getting more targets when our TE's don't exist. Also it seems after Wadley graduated BF has given up throwing to RB's out of the backfield for some reason.

To be determined. They have been good through 2 games against weaker opponents. Can the get separation against better teams? Can they come up with clutch catches in crunch time?

How accurate does Nate have to be? The 2002 group of receivers were pretty damn good, and Brad Banks only completed 58% of his passes that year.
Nate has been fairly accurate, for him, it will be when, not how many. Getting over the 0 for Northwestern and Wisconsin hurdle loom as games to rise above. He has some talent to throw to, perhaps a better running game, and a punter!

I'm not ready to anoint these guys anything yet. The potential is there but that's it for now. ISM seems to have speed and Smith seems to have size. Neither has shown consistency just yet and neither has shown the complete dominance a guy like McNutt showed.

One issue that I hope doesnt bite us in the ass is our seeming lack of a Tight End. Of course the WR's are getting more targets when our TE's don't exist. Also it seems after Wadley graduated BF has given up throwing to RB's out of the backfield for some reason.

To be determined. They have been good through 2 games against weaker opponents. Can the get separation against better teams? Can they come up with clutch catches in crunch time?

Obviously everything is TBD, but it looks good, heck very good so far. Iowa WR group through 2 weeks have a combined 25 catches for 350 Yards and 6 TD's. Not only that but they have drawn either 5 or 6 pass interference calls in those 2 games as well. I said before the season that the Iowa WR would account for at least 60% of the catches (25 of 40) for Iowa this year. Right now they are at 62.5% of Iowa's catches and they have gained 70.5% of the Iowa receiving yards so far (350 of 496).

If we are putting in nominations, that group from 2011 that included McNutt and KVM is worth mentioning. Trying to remember who the TE was on that team.
Fiedorowicz (SO), Derby, and Herman combined for 379 YDs and 5 TDs.

Didn’t lean on the TE spot like some years with McNutt and KMM on the field.

They are getting open more than most groups I have seen. Brandon Smith could put up monster numbers with better QB play. Stanley has overthrown him 2 or 3 times on deep routes. If Beathard had this group in 2015 with that running game we would have been in the playoff no question.

I haven't seen anyone mention Tracy yet, but I've really liked what I've seen from him. ISM is our speed guy, but I think at times, on reverses mostly, he gets a little impatient. Doesn't wait for his blockers and just tries to sprint past people. in comparison, I've really been impressed with Tyrone's patience and ability to make people miss in the open field and think he'll play a huge part in the years to come.

I haven't seen anyone mention Tracy yet, but I've really liked what I've seen from him. ISM is our speed guy, but I think at times, on reverses mostly, he gets a little impatient. Doesn't wait for his blockers and just tries to sprint past people. in comparison, I've really been impressed with Tyrone's patience and ability to make people miss in the open field and think he'll play a huge part in the years to come.
Agreed. I’m very intrigued by Tracy. I think ISM’s big day Saturday and Oliver Martin last week have overshadowed him a bit, but he’s getting major play time as a redshirt freshman. He’s a game changer with ball in his hands. Hope BF can continue to find ways to get him the ball.

I’m very excited to watch Tracy and Goodson (at RB) for the next several years. We typically do not have playmakers like these guys.

Latest posts