Sorry to the haters but that was great coaching!!

In OT...Fran called a timeout after multiple possessions of one on one play. Right after the TO they go back to feeding the ball inside. OT was on the players not the coaches. Peeps just wanna blame somebody. Iowa lost in OT to a team that was ranked #1 in the nation for over a month.

My only gripe with the coaching today was in the OT. I wish they would have tried to double Williams immediately to get the ball out of his hands. Cook didn’t / couldn’t challenge him because of his fouls. Would have rather had someone besides the POY beat us.

I think this is a very good point.

In OT...Fran called a timeout after multiple possessions of one on one play. Right after the TO they go back to feeding the ball inside. OT was on the players not the coaches. Peeps just wanna blame somebody. Iowa lost in OT to a team that was ranked #1 in the nation for over a month.

Fran had at least 2 timeouts, maybe 3 at that point. I was telling people watching the game that he needs to coach his arse off in OT and use his timeouts from the get go to rest the starting five, who to his credit he played exclusively the final 4-5 minutes in regulation, but you knew would be gassed, and to squelch any Tenn. runs. Coaching in moments like that just aren't his strength, BUT give him credit for making adjustments earlier. They definitely had the athletes. But we had the shooters. Fran just needs to draw up plays and run an offense where they can get open. Or recruit kids that can create on their own.

yet that's what Tennessee did with far faster and better players yet they almost lost.
Every team does this every single game to us. It is blatantly obvious that our guards are bad. Fran cannot recruit guards period. It is hard to watch Bohannon continue to get pressured like he does, and he simply does not have the skills or athletic ability to make a defender pay for it.

Why the F is it that all of the Fran lovers come out and say "to all the haters"? We watch theses games just like you do and yet, we're the one's who point out Iowa's weaknesses and strengths when due instead of sitting back, handing participation ribbons for a "super" effort and the "geez if only a couple of shots couldve fallen". I don't have the answers, I just want Iowa to win and be competitive 40 minutes, not just 20. You can't tell me you haven't muttered " wow Cook that was stupid", oh no, not on here . You might be revered as a weak ass. At least I can get pissy and make blame when I see it. If it's the coach or a player, I don't care, but I sleep just fine at night. Screw all the Fran lovers. If you're on the court or the field, you are playing to win, not just participate.

If everyone comes back Iowa would likely be a preseason top 3 team in the B1G next year.

-JBo (2nd team All B1G level)
-Moss (Average guard/good shooter)
-Wieskamp (2nd team All B1G level)
-Cook (2nd team All B1G level (1st?))
-Garza (2nd team All B1G level)

If Joe T and Nunge can improve our defense, and rebounding, you’d be looking at a pretty quality basketball team. Fran would need I better manage the rotation and minutes.

It will be an interesting offseason. Cook is likely gone, but who knows.
What? Cook isn't going anywhere. Where is he going? That lineup is not going to be a top 3 B1G team next year. 10-10 this year, and that won't be improving next year either. Now, if Carton had committed, then maybe.

Fran is not a good coach. My God. He cannot recruit worth a shit, and his game coaching is junk. I wonder how much of Carton's decision to not come here had to do with the fact he wouldn't play over Conor and Jordan?

Moss got out of control but the last few possessions, when needed some 3 balls, Fran had both Dailey and Connor in there on both offense and defense. Webber had some good observations today BUT when Fran brought in Connor, Webber said he was bringing in another shooter. ?? Since we don't set many screens to free shooters at least Moss can get open on his own.

Webber's best point was basically how Iowa plays too much street ball and we don't have those kind of players that can create their own shots. Much better when playing inside out and as a team. I think that is what happened coming down the stretch of conference play. ??

Great comeback though. Just needed more intensity in first half.
During the run where we opened the vault, Moss had 2-3 drives where he didn't even look at another Iowa player, wanted to do it himself. There you have it. Poor discipline, fundamentals, again.

Fran is not a good coach. My God. He cannot recruit worth a shit, and his game coaching is junk. I wonder how much of Carton's decision to not come here had to do with the fact he wouldn't play over Conor and Jordan?
100%

Did Scofield stay on the bench for the OT because the coach was worried he might "Go Moss" and hurt their chances to win?

What? Cook isn't going anywhere. Where is he going? That lineup is not going to be a top 3 B1G team next year. 10-10 this year, and that won't be improving next year either. Now, if Carton had committed, then maybe.
Cook might try to go pro, which most of us know is a bad decision. That’s been his plan since he came on campus, and he’d hardly be the first guy to go too soon.

It’s tough for pea brains such as yourself to grasp the fact that he still can go pro even if he shouldn’t.

During the run where we opened the vault, Moss had 2-3 drives where he didn't even look at another Iowa player, wanted to do it himself. There you have it. Poor discipline, fundamentals, again.
True. Conflicted re Moss. So much street ball and forced shots but He did hit a huge basket to tie it at 71-71.

My point only zero offense, specifically outside shooting, was going to come from Maishe or Connor at that point....

True. Conflicted re Moss. So much street ball and forced shots but He did hit a huge basket to tie it at 71-71.

My point only zero offense, specifically outside shooting, was going to come from Maishe or Connor at that point....
Concur on your point.

Or the argument might be, if Moss had missed the three to tie it, Iowa wouldn't have to worry about him playing hero ball in OT and giving the game away, which he did.

That's why fundamentals are so important to fall back on when in duress. The default setting for Moss and Cook are, go one on one... Sad to say, Izzo and other of the top coaches wouldn't tolerate it. Fran does, for some reason.

Did Scofield stay on the bench for the OT because the coach was worried he might "Go Moss" and hurt their chances to win?

Barnes was asked, straight up, why Schofield didn’t play in overtime. His response?

“He didn’t want to play. He kept saying, leave Kyle in the game.”

“Kyle” is 6-foot-11 senior Kyle Alexander, whom Schofield would have replaced in the small-ball frontcourt late in the game. But Alexander, who had eight points and nine boards, stayed in the game at Schofield’s request.

Barnes was asked, straight up, why Schofield didn’t play in overtime. His response?

“He didn’t want to play. He kept saying, leave Kyle in the game.”

“Kyle” is 6-foot-11 senior Kyle Alexander, whom Schofield would have replaced in the small-ball frontcourt late in the game. But Alexander, who had eight points and nine boards, stayed in the game at Schofield’s request.
I wonder if Moss insisted to Fran that he stay in the game in OT so he could "win it?" :)

Concur on your point.

Or the argument might be, if Moss had missed the three to tie it, Iowa wouldn't have to worry about him playing hero ball in OT and giving the game away, which he did.

That's why fundamentals are so important to fall back on when in duress. The default setting for Moss and Cook are, go one on one... Sad to say, Izzo and other of the top coaches wouldn't tolerate it. Fran does, for some reason.

Yea moss has feasted on those mid range shots in previous games this season, it's not like it was a low percentage shots for his game.

Would have been fitting to see Jordan hit that three with a min left, he's been great in that time line all season. He needs to work on a fake shot and drive or hesitant dribble step back.

Proud of their season. On paper they have a chance to be better next season, but it will still be a tall order to get back to this weekend in 2020

Yea moss has feasted on those mid range shots in previous games this season, it's not like it was a low percentage shots for his game.

Would have been fitting to see Jordan hit that three with a min left, he's been great in that time line all season. He needs to work on a fake shot and drive or hesitant dribble step back.

Proud of their season. On paper they have a chance to be better next season, but it will still be a tall order to get back to this weekend in 2020
Correct!

Every team does this every single game to us. It is blatantly obvious that our guards are bad. Fran cannot recruit guards period. It is hard to watch Bohannon continue to get pressured like he does, and he simply does not have the skills or athletic ability to make a defender pay for it.

I love it when you are so consistently dumb. You are nothing if not committed.

Latest posts