Song that you can't stand...

#1 is "Layla" by Derek and the Dominos. Not a bad melody in the beginning, but it's way too long. And the radio dj's always seem to play it in its entirety. They've cut off the endings of songs all the time, but not that one. If there ever was a song without an end, this is it.
Heresy!!!!!

That song is only good when they play the full version. It’s use in Goodfellas was amazing for effect.

And most everything by Chicago

Saturday in the Park is a perfect song. The keys, the horns, the lyrics. Now of course you don't want to hear it on a snowy Tuesday morning in December when the sun doesn't come up until 7:42 and it will be dark by 4:05, but it is a perfect summer weekend jam.

And 25 or 6 to 4 is a fantastic rhythmic song. The lyrics are a bit weak, though.

Saturday in the Park is a perfect song. The keys, the horns, the lyrics. Now of course you don't want to hear it on a snowy Tuesday morning in December when the sun doesn't come up until 7:42 and it will be dark by 4:05, but it is a perfect summer weekend jam.

And 25 or 6 to 4 is a fantastic rhythmic song. The lyrics are a bit weak, though.
Songs about writing songs generally aren’t that exciting. Kath’s guitar solo is amazing, though. And yeah, the horn section sings on that one.

Here’s a cool live version. I seem to remember hearing that the drum tech got canned after, but don’t know for sure. (And the white pants........)

Last edited:

Chicago was never the same after the Terry Kath tragedy. Then Peter Cetera took over (which he was already doing before Kath's fateful Russian roulette incident)

Not seeing Chicago in comcert is one of my biggest sins and now time is running out. When these bands get back on the road I have a whole bucket list of them that I need to see before holographs take over. And with one kid down to his last two and a quarter years of high school our nest is just about empty.

Songs about writing songs generally aren’t that exciting. Kath’s guitar solo is amazing, though. And yeah, the horn section sings on that one.

Here’s a cool live version. I seem to remember hearing that the drum tech got canned after, but don’t know for sure. (And the white pants........)

That version is out of this world. If that guitar was searching for something to say, Kath made sure it was too shredded to have a voice.

Heresy!!!!!

That song is only good when they play the full version. It’s use in Goodfellas was amazing for effect.
When Martin Scorcese was directing Raging Bull rumor was that for inspiration he would frequently crank up London Calling by the Clash.

As if the mood in that movie wasn't grim enough already.

The movie and the album both topped many critics' "Best Of The Eighties" lists.

And Goodfellas is right up there with any nineties movies.

Chicago was never the same after the Terry Kath tragedy. Then Peter Cetera took over (which he was already doing before Kath's fateful Russian roulette incident)

Not seeing Chicago in comcert is one of my biggest sins and now time is running out. When these bands get back on the road I have a whole bucket list of them that I need to see before holographs take over. And with one kid down to his last two and a quarter years of high school our nest is just about empty.

Damn, I had never heard about this Terry Kath thing until now. I just read his Wiki page. Darwin Award. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. My dad must have had probably a half dozen "RULE NUMBER 1 WHEN IT COMES TO GUNS" sayings. One day, "RULE NUMBER ONE WHEN IT COMES TO GUNS, ALWAYS ASSUME IT'S LOADED. ALWAYS." Next time out "RULE NUMBER ONE WHEN IT COMES TO GUNS, NEVER POINT IT AT A PERSON..." Next time out "RULE NUMBER ONE WHEN IT COMES TO GUNS, YOU'RE RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERY ROUND THAT LEAVES THE GUN..." Kath must not have had as good of a dad as I do.

Damn, I had never heard about this Terry Kath thing until now. I just read his Wiki page. Darwin Award. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. My dad must have had probably a half dozen "RULE NUMBER 1 WHEN IT COMES TO GUNS" sayings. One day, "RULE NUMBER ONE WHEN IT COMES TO GUNS, ALWAYS ASSUME IT'S LOADED. ALWAYS." Next time out "RULE NUMBER ONE WHEN IT COMES TO GUNS, NEVER POINT IT AT A PERSON..." Next time out "RULE NUMBER ONE WHEN IT COMES TO GUNS, YOU'RE RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERY ROUND THAT LEAVES THE GUN..." Kath must not have had as good of a dad as I do.
This is going to be a brutal decade in regards to the loss of some of the most famous musicians in the world. Neil Peart and Eddie Van Halen were only the tip of the iceberg.

Holograph concerts are going to be hotter than live shows as we've known them all these decades. Brace yourself. By the end of this decade there's a good chance there will be no more living members of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Zeppelin, Who, Pink Floyd and Queen.

The carnage will be no less for artists and bands that are still touring. This includes Springsteen, Mellencamp, Seger, Billy Joel, Elton John, ZZ Top, Cheap Trick, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, and many many others.

When musicians start hitting the road again, better catch them. It might be you last chance.

Last edited:
Oh this is easy! These are prob classic now show showing my age. Songs in no particular order.

1) Bohemian Rhapsody - This and every time I hear it reminds me of the stupid movie Wayne's World. Two birds with one stone.
2) Meatloaf - Paradise By The DashBoard Light. That song is 8.5 minutes of pure hell. Think about it, 8 minutes one is NEVER going to get back in their life.

and

3) Starbuck's Coffee. Bitter and Yuk!!

When do you send my my winning gift? Drop mic.
Wayne's World is annoying partially because it couldn't have come out in any other era. It is so symbolic of the early nineties, a culmination of the second wave of classic SNL and the public access craze.

The late eighties was a classic time for public cable access radio and TV shows. Two of the best came out of the twin cities. One was Mystery Science Theater 3000, the brainchild largely of Joel Hodgson and Mike Nelson. It of course was quickly snapped by Comedy Central and became one of the best and most influential cable TV shows ever.

The other was Tight Line, one of the great cult public access shows ever. Largely the brainchild of Rich Kronfeld who portrayed the uptight talk show host Dr. Sphincter, it was a satirical hoot on the culture of the time.

I taught public access classes during that time and certified interested students in producing their own cable radio and TV shows. Most were out and out bores, but a couple were pretty creative.

Last edited:
Wayne's World is annoying partially because it couldn't have come out in any other era. It is so symbolic of the early nineties, a culmination of the second wave of classic SNL and the public access craze.

The late eighties was a classic time for public cable access radio and TV shows. Two of the best came out of the twin cities. One was Mystery Science Theater 3000, the brainchild largely of Joel Hodgson and Mike Nelson. It of course was quickly snapped by Comedy Central and became one of the best and most influential cable TV shows ever.

The other was Tight Line, one of the great cult public access shows ever. Largely the brainchild of Rich Kronfeld who portrayed the uptight talk show host Dr. Sphincter, it was a satirical hoot on the culture of the time.

I taught public access classes during that time and certified interested students in producing their own cable radio and TV shows. Most were out and out bores, but a couple were pretty creative.

Interesting!

Latest posts