Something has obviously happened to this team....

SpiderRico

You don't go from being in the Top half of the Big Ten and the Top 30 in the country for all of last year and for 2/3rds of this year as it relates to defensive efficiency and then all of a sudden not know how to guard.

It's obvious that the team has fractured for whatever reason. It kind of reminds me of the 2006 football season. Started off hot, ranked in the Top 10, and then all of a sudden looked like we forgot how to play. End up being dubbed the "Fat Cat Team".

I don't know if it's a lack of player leadership.....the team has had such good senior leadership during all of Fran's tenure....from Cole, to Gatens, to May. I don't see a senior leader stepping up at all during this 5 game stretch. McCabe has flat out made terrible decisions for a senior. Marble seems too timid and withdrawn to really be considered a "leader" and Basabe seems to either have some rare form of disease or is simply in the doghouse.

I don't know if it's a lack of leadership within the coaching staff. We've seen Fran blow up on the court and get tossed this year. We've seen him blow up at a caller and tell him to go root for another team. The post game press conference against Michigan State he put his hands up and said "I quit" when asked a question about officiating. That's not what this team needs from it's head man....not even close.

I don't know if it's just the pressure of wanting to finally taste some real success and not being able to handle it.

I don't know if the Wisconsin game was sort of the "straw that broke the camel's back" in terms of continually losing to good teams at the end.

But something is wrong that goes beyond simple basketball skills or strategy or talent.

The team seems like it's not getting along, not enjoying each other's company, not taking to the coaching from the staff.

Not sure we get it back at this point. I see a 7 or 8 seed in the NCAAs and a quick one game flameout. Had this happened in January, then at least you've got some time to get it straightened out. But when this happens in late Feb, early March.....well, we may as well just call it a season.

You don't go from being in the Top half of the Big Ten and the Top 30 in the country for all of last year and for 2/3rds of this year as it relates to defensive efficiency and then all of a sudden not know how to guard.

It's obvious that the team has fractured for whatever reason. It kind of reminds me of the 2006 football season. Started off hot, ranked in the Top 10, and then all of a sudden looked like we forgot how to play. End up being dubbed the "Fat Cat Team".

I don't know if it's a lack of player leadership.....the team has had such good senior leadership during all of Fran's tenure....from Cole, to Gatens, to May. I don't see a senior leader stepping up at all during this 5 game stretch. McCabe has flat out made terrible decisions for a senior. Marble seems too timid and withdrawn to really be considered a "leader" and Basabe seems to either have some rare form of disease or is simply in the doghouse.

I don't know if it's a lack of leadership within the coaching staff. We've seen Fran blow up on the court and get tossed this year. We've seen him blow up at a caller and tell him to go root for another team. The post game press conference against Michigan State he put his hands up and said "I quit" when asked a question about officiating. That's not what this team needs from it's head man....not even close.

I don't know if it's just the pressure of wanting to finally taste some real success and not being able to handle it.

I don't know if the Wisconsin game was sort of the "straw that broke the camel's back" in terms of continually losing to good teams at the end.

But something is wrong that goes beyond simple basketball skills or strategy or talent.

The team seems like it's not getting along, not enjoying each other's company, not taking to the coaching from the staff.

Not sure we get it back at this point. I see a 7 or 8 seed in the NCAAs and a quick one game flameout. Had this happened in January, then at least you've got some time to get it straightened out. But when this happens in late Feb, early March.....well, we may as well just call it a season.

I think it may have been the Purdue game...one of the players missed a pass or something...and the other player jumped ALL OVER him...I thought at the time...who needs opponents when you have teammates like that...I know everyone says "oh everyone loves each other on the team"...but sometimes...I'm not sure how much of that is talk. It may have just been a heat of the moment thing...but it put some doubt into my mind.

I think it may have been the Purdue game...one of the players missed a pass or something...and the other player jumped ALL OVER him...I thought at the time...who needs opponents when you have teammates like that...I know everyone says "oh everyone loves each other on the team"...but sometimes...I'm not sure how much of that is talk. It may have just been a heat of the moment thing...but it put some doubt into my mind.

There have been multiple times in the last 5 games that White has made a good, hard cut to the block and posted and the guard just looked at him and passed it back to the top of the key and White has shown visible frustration. It keeps happening time and time again. White, for one, looks to me like he's checked out and is having a tough time with the senior "leaders" on the team.

I see a 7 seed if they beat Illinois and lose game 1 in the BTT. If they lose both games, they go to the bubble, and will probably sneak in as a 9.

There have been multiple times in the last 5 games that White has made a good, hard cut to the block and posted and the guard just looked at him and passed it back to the top of the key and White has shown visible frustration. It keeps happening time and time again. White, for one, looks to me like he's checked out and is having a tough time with the senior "leaders" on the team.

He is not playing with confidence. He needs to shake that NOW!

I think it all started when the good coach went all Philly on the caller regarding McCabe's playing time. It seems to me the staff and team alike feel like it's them against the fan base. It's mostly been a downhill ride since then. Even the Purdue win was not real impressive.

Twitter! Refs! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! Quit crying Hawks this is big boy basketball.

That's the frustration - not knowing what is wrong but seeing so many possibilities - and the same issues appearing to happen in successive games.

Honesty - the team I saw pull off that comeback against Xavier doesn't seem to exist now. With the exception of Marble.

Just hope that Fran is up to the challenge now.

Team chemistry is such a fragile thing, with so many different factors that come in to play. I wonder how many good teams in recent years were kept from greatness due to lack of cohesiveness in the locker room.

As far as White ... is it possible we are seeing the effects of his practice and playing in the World University Games last summer?

As fans, we may never know where the problem lies. Heck, sometimes the coaches and players themselves don't even know. So we are left to speculate amongst ourselves and dram of what might have been.

I think this is a pretty good observation. Something is wrong I don't no what. But this isn't the same team. I agree with that

Team chemistry is such a fragile thing, with so many different factors that come in to play. I wonder how many good teams in recent years were kept from greatness due to lack of cohesiveness in the locker room.

As far as White ... is it possible we are seeing the effects of his practice and playing in the World University Games last summer?

As fans, we may never know where the problem lies. Heck, sometimes the coaches and players themselves don't even know. So we are left to speculate amongst ourselves and dram of what might have been.

I'm not sure how this would affect him the last 5 games rather than the whole season. I don't know what the problem is, but I highly doubt it gets fixed this year.

They were a better team when Marble got everyone involved and had little personal point production in the first halves of games. Now, he produces points and many of the others don't. Something going on with that.

Yea it is somewhat of a mystery. Mainly the defensive part. Also I wish my mobile apps kept track of points in the paint, because that has had to a faulted lately.

Can we blame some players getting the flu and throwing off the team chemistry? White either is down on the team lately, or suffering some flu as well. Cause there was times he just looked like he didnt wanna be on the court.

They were a better team when Marble got everyone involved and had little personal point production in the first halves of games. Now, he produces points and many of the others don't. Something going on with that.

Getting others involved is no way for a guy that doesn't project to a natural position in the NBA to get to the league. He needs to be a volume scorer if he wants a sniff at a roster on the next level.

I know a lot of people here have thrown in the towel on this team, but I think it wise to see how this all plays out. I suspect once they get out of the Big Ten (and away from Big Ten refs) that the opposition will, at least in the beginning, look mild in comparison.

I think Marble's offensive output is a result of others dropping off a cliff, not the other way around. He has been very good at keeping other's involved when they seem to want to be involved. It just seems that a lot of the time lately, they are all content to watch him score.

Latest posts