Some positives getting lost in the poor results....

SpiderRico

Okay, today is Positive Friday (for me anyway).....

1. Mike Meyer is having a helluva season so far. Between the 50 yarder he hit into the wind against NIU and the 62 straight XP he hit, breaking Nate Kaeding's record, have shown just how far he's come from his walk-on days.

2. AIRBHG nothwithstanding, our ability to plug and play virtually any running back on our roster is astounding and a true testament to the coaching staff's ability on Sun-Fri to prepare running backs to play (now, if we could only do that with QBs, we'd be set....wait, dammit, it's Positive Friday!!). :D

3. This might be the best run blocking Oline since 2008. Now, the proof will be in the pudding the next 8 games now that we've entered conference play, but so far, I've been extremely impressed with their run blocking ability.

4. John Weinke is a heckuva pooch punter. One of them has directly resulted in a win vs. NIU, the other had the potential to turn field position until Morris got too greedy and the CMU RB, went for 33 yds. But more often than not, if we can continue to pin a team inside the 5, we'll win that battle more than we lose it.

#1 positive = kicker. Iowa football and its fans in a nutshell.

random guy to Iowa fan: "Would you rather have a game-breaking WR with fumbling issues or have a kicker that you don't have to worry about?"

Iowa fan: "Oh I'll take the kicker any day, special teams wins titles"

Agree 100% with #3. The O-Line and Brad Rogers have done a great job of run blocking so far. Don't think it matters who play's at RB.......the 0-Line will open a running lane. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain this level of play against the Big defenses.

random guy to Iowa fan: "Would you rather have a game-breaking WR with fumbling issues or have a kicker that you don't have to worry about?"

Ha Classic. I'm always getting asked the question. You really nailed all Iowa fans!!

Say what you want, I have always liked the fact that we seem to always have an above average kicker. Would hate to be a Boise State and lose how many games because they cant make a field goal

Say what you want, I have always liked the fact that we seem to always have an above average kicker. Would hate to be a Boise State and lose how many games because they cant make a field goal

I would rather lose games because we miss field goals than lose games because we suck everywhere but FG kicking.

How many Big 12 North titles could Iowa State have won if they had a compentent kicker? I can think of 2 for sure.....

Kickers score points and points wins games....period.

Nice to see some positives from the OP. :)

I'll add that our offensive output in yards has risen every game. We've improved our scoring since the ISU debacle. It also looks like the offense is getting more comfortable.

I would guess that Minnesota is going to come in a little cocky having won the last two and being 4-0 right now. The target is really on their backs.

Okay, today is Positive Friday (for me anyway).....

1. Mike Meyer is having a helluva season so far. Between the 50 yarder he hit into the wind against NIU and the 62 straight XP he hit, breaking Nate Kaeding's record, have shown just how far he's come from his walk-on days.

2. AIRBHG nothwithstanding, our ability to plug and play virtually any running back on our roster is astounding and a true testament to the coaching staff's ability on Sun-Fri to prepare running backs to play (now, if we could only do that with QBs, we'd be set....wait, dammit, it's Positive Friday!!). :D

3. This might be the best run blocking Oline since 2008. Now, the proof will be in the pudding the next 8 games now that we've entered conference play, but so far, I've been extremely impressed with their run blocking ability.

4. John Weinke is a heckuva pooch punter. One of them has directly resulted in a win vs. NIU, the other had the potential to turn field position until Morris got too greedy and the CMU RB, went for 33 yds. But more often than not, if we can continue to pin a team inside the 5, we'll win that battle more than we lose it.

Best run blocking since 2008? What are you on? B/c we ran the ball well against CMU? We rushed for 60 yards against the Clowns.

We did finally score through the air. I consider that a positive since B1G play starts this weekend and it took us 4 games to do so.

Positive: JVB, and the offense look pretty good on opening drives.

Negative: JVB looks like a lost puppy after the first drive, and if Weisman or other running backs can't run for 250/game, we have very little chance of winning (unless JVB somehow figures it out.)

Best run blocking since 2008? What are you on? B/c we ran the ball well against CMU? We rushed for 60 yards against the Clowns.

Bullock had 150 against NIU. We had 200 yds rushing as a team against UNI....keep in mind that even with a Heisman finalist in their backfield, Wisky couldn't even run for that much. Weisman then ran for over 200 against CMU.

I don't care how you feel about the Hawks' performance in the W-L columns, the rushing performance and the holes that have been opened have been impressive.

Latest posts