Some Notes from this Morning's Practice (Updated 10:10 a.m.)

You hit on it - blocking. :)

Kittle and Duzey were guys that could have been nice targets earlier in their careers but they didn't see the field until the could block consistently well.

I do think Fant will be given the opportunity to learn on the job, to a degree, and perhaps Hockenson will, too. I don't see them on the field together, though, unless the WRs just completely tank and they need two receiving-first TEs out there.

If healthy, I'm calling for a Wisnieski breakout. He's 6-5, 250 and can run.

In your video clips, Fant looked like a WR going into and coming out of his breaks. Very fluid and explosive.

I should know better, but I find myself being very optimistic about the talent and depth of the offensive skill players if they develop(must develop....and be targeted more often). I don't think we're going to see anything crazy, but just a little bump in WR and TE production would pay huge dividends.

They get me every year....

Go Hawks.

I think it's a good group at TE. I think there are a few guys that could emerge at WR, Falconer being one of them. He looked much better yesterday, playing faster with a better knowledge of the offense.

I do think Hockenson is going to be a very good player here. It might not be this season, however, but you never know.

You know it's bad when a guy has a better understanding of the new offense after a few days than he ever did the old one.

You know it's bad when a guy has a better understanding of the new offense after a few days than he ever did the old one.

I'm hoping things are much more streamlined than they were under GD. The players seem to be indicating that they are.

Hmmmmmmm, I'm starting to get a bit optimistic about the upcoming season especially after reading that the OL looks like a pro line already.

Rob, or anyone else that may have information (from press, twitter....or secret sources)

Has the offense practiced together as a unit? If so, does anything look different than last year? We've had a few quotes off of social media stating the defense doesn't know what's coming all the time, which is promising....

More curious if there's a obvious scheme change, difference in routes, plays being run

My hope is no more of the 3 yard outs, and more down field crossing, seams, and routes past the marker

I think the having a new OL coach is a very good thing. He doesn't have the loyalties of past coaches...and I'm sure he is on edge coming into a program known for line play. He most likely has that I'm not going to fail attitude and personally, I'd play the NDSU and NW tape over and over again...just to remind them how well they have pass blocked in the past. I really think this group has a chance to rival the 2002 group for production. If Wadley gets 20-25 carries a game...He's going to get to 1600 yards pretty quickly. I hope he get the carries.

You can tell from the interviews that pass pro has been the main topic for improvement...I like that.

I thought so too. But the data doesn't seem to support that:

TE production during the Greg Davis era:
2016: 32 rec, 389 yds, 5 TD
2015: 56 rec, 705 yds, 7 TD
2014: 40 rec, 445 yds, 5 TD
2013: 49 rec, 569 yds, 8 TD
2012: 60 rec, 547 yds, 2 TD

TE production during last 5 years of KOK era:
2011: 39 rec, 411 yds, 5 TD
2010: 52 rec, 631 yds, 2 TD
2009: 45 rec, 526 yds, 5 TD
2008: 58 rec, 785 yds, 6 TD
2007: 37 rec, 409 yds, 8 TD

Average TE production under Davis: 47 rec, 531 yds, 5.4 TD

Average TE production under KOK: 46 rec, 552 yds, 5.2 TD

I would guess under Davis most of the production came outside the numbers and with kok, just the opposite, the production came between the numbers.

Mitch King played on the inside at 264 lbs., Klug at 270 lbs. I need to check on Matt Nelson's weight, but i am not surprised he moved inside. Before people come at me I know Matt Nelson may not be on the Klug/King level.....He just seems like a guy who enjoys the dirty work that goes with playing inside.

I thought so too. But the data doesn't seem to support that:

TE production during the Greg Davis era:
2016: 32 rec, 389 yds, 5 TD
2015: 56 rec, 705 yds, 7 TD
2014: 40 rec, 445 yds, 5 TD
2013: 49 rec, 569 yds, 8 TD
2012: 60 rec, 547 yds, 2 TD

TE production during last 5 years of KOK era:
2011: 39 rec, 411 yds, 5 TD
2010: 52 rec, 631 yds, 2 TD
2009: 45 rec, 526 yds, 5 TD
2008: 58 rec, 785 yds, 6 TD
2007: 37 rec, 409 yds, 8 TD

Average TE production under Davis: 47 rec, 531 yds, 5.4 TD

Average TE production under KOK: 46 rec, 552 yds, 5.2 TD
Amazing how perception does not always equal reality.

I hope so. I think this hype is normal with new staff though

Agree. There was hype surrounding White and Kennedy as well. A lot of folks wanted KOK gone now people are happy he's back. Change is good, most often, when it comes to how fans view coaches. Its a job where guys are hired to be fired.

I'm hoping things are much more streamlined than they were under GD. The players seem to be indicating that they are.

as I've said before...if the offense is easy to read for the opponent, yet difficult to learn for the offense itself... it's a LOUSY offense

Hiring Greg Davis was probably Kirk's biggest mistake of his head coaching career.

And yet he was the offensive coordinator in Kirk's only undefeated regular season and was probably a holding call away (on Vandenburg by MSU's corner to save a touchdown for Iowa) from playing for an NC in the playoff. I'm not going to say it was a great fit, but some of the blame belongs to the fact that we can't recruit playmakers on the outside at WR. His offensive scheme to a certain extent was to get the ball to players on short routes and let them make a play. At Iowa, that became, hope they can get separation and catch the ball. I, for one, had no problems with the offense in 2015 when CJ was CJ and I thought Davis called some great games down the stretch.

Easy schedule. CJ playing out of his mind. That was 2015. Every other year with Derpvis, the offense was Mr Hanky's mentally disabled turd son.
Come on, easy schedule crap, really. Any game on the road in the Big 10 is a land mine you have to overcome. At Wisconsin, at Nebraska, at ISU, at NW...and I throw ISU in just because of our history in Ames. Once again, I'm not here to say Greg Davis was great for the Iowa Offense. I just think maybe we are a little to hard on the guy as fans. At Iowa, we go as the offensive line goes. If you take a look, if there is weakness there, it's shown up in the record. I know they won the Joe Moore award last year, but their pass protection was awful in every loss, even the Michigan win.

Honestly, I think for the first time since Greg Davis got here, we are deeper on the OL than we have ever been...the cupboard is full. You have to have playmakers on the outside in any offense. We don't at this juncture. Let's see if it gets better under BF and KOK.

Come on, easy schedule crap, really. Any game on the road in the Big 10 is a land mine you have to overcome. At Wisconsin, at Nebraska, at ISU, at NW...and I throw ISU in just because of our history in Ames. Once again, I'm not here to say Greg Davis was great for the Iowa Offense. I just think maybe we are a little to hard on the guy as fans. At Iowa, we go as the offensive line goes. If you take a look, if there is weakness there, it's shown up in the record. I know they won the Joe Moore award last year, but their pass protection was awful in every loss, even the Michigan win.

Honestly, I think for the first time since Greg Davis got here, we are deeper on the OL than we have ever been...the cupboard is full. You have to have playmakers on the outside in any offense. We don't at this juncture. Let's see if it gets better under BF and KOK.

Offensive production with kok ranked on average in the 60's, with GD it was in the 90's. Last year it was in the 120's with 2 1000 yd rusher. Your argument is solid; however, it doesn't change the fact GD wasn't a good fit here. Even if GD didn't retire they were going to have revamp the passing game.

Not bad, except for the fact he would've been planted on the ground by the free rusher before he could get the throw off in a live situation. Good to see deep posts, though, they have been scarcely used the last few years.

Latest posts