Some Notes from this Morning's Practice (Updated 10:10 a.m.)

RobHowe

Administrator
We got about 25 minutes to watch this morning's workout. Here are a few notes. I will have some video and some more thoughts in a bit. We have player interviews at 11:30 and Coaches Morgan and Wallace at 1 today.

Strong play from the tight ends highlighted our news, notes and observations from HN's Rob Howe, who watched some of Iowa's practice Wednesday morning:

LINK

Last edited:
That is great to hear. What about Beyer and Hockensen?

Hockenson was running fourth with Wieting out. Beyer is down the depth chart behind Wisnieksi, Fant, Pekar, Hockenson and Vejvoda from what I could tell.

Sounds like they have some guys nicked up.. Sure hope the Nelsons will be alright. I'm fired up to hear about Wisnewski looking good. He's gotta be chomping at the bit to get to contribute this year.

RBs weren't doing a lot today when we were able to watch. Akrum wasn't practicing. Toks was the No. 1. Toren is next. The coaches like Akinribade a lot, as do I.

I know you said you didn't get to see all position groups, so perhaps there is not much you can tell me. I am just curious who was running at DE with the Nelsons out, and how did they look?

Hockenson was running fourth with Wieting out. Beyer is down the depth chart behind Wisnieksi, Fant, Pekar, Hockenson and Vejvoda from what I could tell.

Do you think Hockenson has a chance to pass up Wisniesksi or Pekar? His hands are incredible, if it's thrown up near him he'll catch it. I know... blocking... :)
I think he and Fant on the field at the same time could possibly give us some nice big targets who can move with the ball after the catch.

O'Keefe was better at using tight ends in the offense than Davis.

I thought so too. But the data doesn't seem to support that:

TE production during the Greg Davis era:
2016: 32 rec, 389 yds, 5 TD
2015: 56 rec, 705 yds, 7 TD
2014: 40 rec, 445 yds, 5 TD
2013: 49 rec, 569 yds, 8 TD
2012: 60 rec, 547 yds, 2 TD

TE production during last 5 years of KOK era:
2011: 39 rec, 411 yds, 5 TD
2010: 52 rec, 631 yds, 2 TD
2009: 45 rec, 526 yds, 5 TD
2008: 58 rec, 785 yds, 6 TD
2007: 37 rec, 409 yds, 8 TD

Average TE production under Davis: 47 rec, 531 yds, 5.4 TD

Average TE production under KOK: 46 rec, 552 yds, 5.2 TD

We got about 25 minutes to watch this morning's workout. Here are a few notes. I will have some video and some more thoughts in a bit. We have player interviews at 11:30 and Coaches Morgan and Wallace at 1 today.

Strong play from the tight ends highlighted our news, notes and observations from HN's Rob Howe, who watched some of Iowa's practice Wednesday morning:

LINK

From your article: "New offensive line coach Tim Polasek was spirited with a colorful vocabulary."

I walk/bike past the practice field on my way to work. The energy this morning seemed very high for a dreary morning of spring practice. As I was passing the O-line group, I hear, "I don't give a f*** about [such and such excuse], get the f***ing job done!" I am guessing that was the new O-line coach.

Hopefully his personality will be an energizing presence on the team. Those "spirited" guys can go either way; if they truly care about the players and the players know this, the coach is usually beloved for their frankness and competitiveness. If they don't sincerely care for the players and have more selfish interests, then is just comes across as mean-spirited bullying (think Rick Kaczenski).

Since this staff went through the Kaz nightmare, it is probably fairly safe to say that Polasek falls into the former category.

I know you said you didn't get to see all position groups, so perhaps there is not much you can tell me. I am just curious who was running at DE with the Nelsons out, and how did they look?

While we were there, they were just working on getting off blocks with the LBs. Didn't see them line up against the OL.

I did notice Simon, Brincks, McKnight and Golston. Simon is really physical. I think Brincks is next in line based on what Morgan said, A lot to sort through, though. This is the first spring for that group we brought in last year.

Do you think Hockenson has a chance to pass up Wisniesksi or Pekar? His hands are incredible, if it's thrown up near him he'll catch it. I know... blocking... :)
I think he and Fant on the field at the same time could possibly give us some nice big targets who can move with the ball after the catch.

You hit on it - blocking. :)

Kittle and Duzey were guys that could have been nice targets earlier in their careers but they didn't see the field until the could block consistently well.

I do think Fant will be given the opportunity to learn on the job, to a degree, and perhaps Hockenson will, too. I don't see them on the field together, though, unless the WRs just completely tank and they need two receiving-first TEs out there.

If healthy, I'm calling for a Wisnieski breakout. He's 6-5, 250 and can run.

You hit on it - blocking. :)

Kittle and Duzey were guys that could have been nice targets earlier in their careers but they didn't see the field until the could block consistently well.

I do think Fant will be given the opportunity to learn on the job, to a degree, and perhaps Hockenson will, too. I don't see them on the field together, though, unless the WRs just completely tank and they need two receiving-first TEs out there.

If healthy, I'm calling for a Wisnieski breakout. He's 6-5, 250 and can run.

Thanks Rob, good info. For some reason this whole group just seems more dangerous than most of our WR core to me. I hope I'm wrong.

From your article: "New offensive line coach Tim Polasek was spirited with a colorful vocabulary."

I walk/bike past the practice field on my way to work. The energy this morning seemed very high for a dreary morning of spring practice. As I was passing the O-line group, I hear, "I don't give a f*** about [such and such excuse], get the f***ing job done!" I am guessing that was the new O-line coach.

Hopefully his personality will be an energizing presence on the team. Those "spirited" guys can go either way; if they truly care about the players and the players know this, the coach is usually beloved for their frankness and competitiveness. If they don't sincerely care for the players and have more selfish interests, then is just comes across as mean-spirited bullying (think Rick Kaczenski).

Since this staff went through the Kaz nightmare, it is probably fairly safe to say that Polasek falls into the former category.

Agree with your assessment on spirited coaches. It's a fine line.

At least from the feedback we received from Myers and Welsh yesterday, they seemed to like the guy (not that they would tell us if they didn't, but it appeared to be sincere). Boone said TP reminded him a lot of Brian F, who also can get after players with a colorful vocabulary.

Time will tell but I don't see the second coming of Kaz. I would think KF would nip that in the bud right away if he sensed it.

Thanks Rob, good info. For some reason this whole group just seems more dangerous than most of our WR core to me. I hope I'm wrong.

I think it's a good group at TE. I think there are a few guys that could emerge at WR, Falconer being one of them. He looked much better yesterday, playing faster with a better knowledge of the offense.

I do think Hockenson is going to be a very good player here. It might not be this season, however, but you never know.

Latest posts