Some Interesting Iowa Stats

These stats are all things you can get from multiple sites. So, herald him for coming on here with a backhanded introduction to his site waving stats in our face, but this is nothing he is compiling or engineering.

*allah akbar*

Sorry, I do not have previous years.

hogeye, I'm sure you could find things like this elsewhere. Hell, they probably even do it better than me, but I can assure you I am compiling these on my own.

I was just poking around some of the numbers and thought it was interesting. I can share some equally unimpressive numbers about ISU this season but I was under the impression that you guys wouldn't be interested in that.

I referenced my site so you can see more detailed info if you desire. I don't care if you go to read it or not...it isn't exactly a money making venture for me.

With the data provided, one interesting thought is that with a bad defense (and a strong offense -- 15th in points per possession), we need as many offensive possessions as we can get during a game to win high-scoring games against the other team.

In Iowa's normal years, when a skilled defense plays bend but don't break, that slows down the game, limits possessions, keeps the opponent's point scoring low, and helps Iowa win a lot of close, low-scoring games when we may not have the offense to win in a shootout.

This year, by contrast, because our defense can't make stops in the redzone when it counts, I would argue that the bend-don't-break method of slowing the game down and limiting each team's possessions actually hurts Iowa -- we need as many offensive possessions as possible because we know our defense will not keep the opposing team's points off the board (even if we make each opponent's scoring drive take 10-15 plays before a touchdown).

These stats are all things you can get from multiple sites. So, herald him for coming on here with a backhanded introduction to his site waving stats in our face, but this is nothing he is compiling or engineering.

Who cares if he is engineering it or taking the stats himself? This isn't art or music where originality is highly regarded, these are football stats, and for those of us who don't have practical access to a database with defensive plays per possession, it's useful to know that we're not crazy when we gripe about the defense not getting off the field.

With the data provided, one interesting thought is that with a bad defense (and a strong offense -- 15th in points per possession), we need as many offensive possessions as we can get during a game to win high-scoring games against the other team.

In Iowa's normal years, when a skilled defense plays bend but don't break, that slows down the game, limits possessions, keeps the opponent's point scoring low, and helps Iowa win a lot of close, low-scoring games when we may not have the offense to win in a shootout.

This year, by contrast, because our defense can't make stops in the redzone when it counts, I would argue that the bend-don't-break method of slowing the game down and limiting each team's possessions actually hurts Iowa -- we need as many offensive possessions as possible because we know our defense will not keep the opposing team's points off the board (even if we make each opponent's scoring drive take 10-15 plays before a touchdown).

Yes, but the coaching staff hasn't made that adjustment. Iowa was still really good on red zone defense heading into the Minnesota game. More plays do not always equal success, but it does have a cumulative effect on a defense throughout the game. I just think it is against this staff's instincts to try a more wide open brand of football, because they have had so much success with the conservative style. However they should have known heading into the season that the defense would be at best a work in progress. It would have been better to plan on the defense being poor and looking to play aggressively on offense.

Ultimately I understand why Ferentz referenced PSU was the first 10+ point loss in forever, but I think he is wrong to think his standard formula would lead this team to success, and it limits our more talented teams- especially versus bad competition.

First off, yes, I am an Iowa State fan. I have a website ([URL=

Good analysis, but why the F### are you on our site telling us what we alreadt know about our team. Ya this isnt the best team KF has had, we get that. Go back to your own site and get back to talking about how Steel Jantz deserves the hiesman...oh wait, i mean Barnett cuz hes your savior now right, cuz he beat TTech. Please send us more stats, how bout you compare the Iowa and Iowa st. football programs in the last 35 yrs. See what u come up with

Good analysis, but why the F### are you on our site telling us what we alreadt know about our team. Ya this isnt the best team KF has had, we get that. Go back to your own site and get back to talking about how Steel Jantz deserves the hiesman...oh wait, i mean Barnett cuz hes your savior now right, cuz he beat TTech. Please send us more stats, how bout you compare the Iowa and Iowa st. football programs in the last 35 yrs. See what u come up with

I spy with my little eye....another tool.

Give me a respectful Clone fan with some good info over your pointless rants any day of the week.

The poster didnt mention if these are just 2011 stats. I assume they are but that is what happens when you play 'bend but dont break' style. I think the two main statistics to look at is points per game allowed and third down defensive efficiency. Throw out Kirk's first two years and the rest of the years show Norm Parker's defense as very good to really top ranked in scoring defense even though we all know they give up a lot of third down conversions. Many fans would love to see some more pressure on some third downs to mess with opposing qbs reads to end up making Iowa's defensive third down efficiency better.

First off, yes, I am an Iowa State fan.

I have a website (www.encyclonepedia.com) and have recently been working on some NCAA wide football stats as opposed to just the Big 12 I have been doing. I'm still just poking around a little bit to find some interesting things. Anyway, I thought that you might find this interesting:

Iowa averages more defensive plays per opponents possession than any other team in the NCAA with 6.6. Here's the top 10:

Team......................Def Plays / Poss
Iowa...............................6.6
Northern Ill.......................6.1
Navy...............................6.0
Minnesota........................6.0
UCLA...............................5.9
Air Force..........................5.9
Maryland..........................5.9
Tennessee........................5.9
Miami (FL)........................5.9
New Mexico......................5.9

Is that an indication of the defense struggling to get off the field or the result of a bad defense or the combo of the two?

Also, going hand in hand with that, Iowa is 114th in offensive possessions per game in the NCAA with 10.75 drives per game.

Not just trying to rail the negatives on you, but thought I'd share. Iowa is 15th in the BCS in points scored per offensive possession. It's all on my site, the BCS as a whole and each BCS conference by itself.

Just thought I'd share.

Thanks for the info.

Wow that doesn't look good. As another poster said, I would guess Iowa is always ranked fairly high on this list because their defense, even when good, allows other teams to have the ball for several plays each drive. They've never really been a 3 & out dominant group.

I understand Kirk & Norm's reasoning behind the defense. Force the offense to execute several plays to score on a drive. But on the flip side you're conceeding from the game plan that the other team is going to run more offensive plays than you. That is playing with fire, regardless of how good your defense is.

Why is a cyclone fan giving us numbers that shows how bad we are in certain areas, those numbers dont mean Sh**, he can be a friendly guy and i bet he is. but really, cmon, the topic is worthless.

Quoting someone's post is your strongsuit not. Yes, hmmm.

And? What else? Please tell me.

Plus im having difficulties when qouting someone.

Yes, I noticed.

But back to the topic. Good information you have there khaal, easier than digging through countless sites only to find statistics from years ago or only for one team.

Latest posts