Some good practice tidbits on twitter

I'm guessing they are this positive about every team/pracitce they visit though?

Just a few excerpts from Nebraska

gerrydinardo Gerry DiNardo
Nebraska Practice - QB - they are built to beat you with their legs and hopefully hurt you with their ARMS but balanced they are not.

Nebraska Practice. - WR much like secondary - they have talent - and much like the LB they need game reps

Neb. Prac LB-talented but undeveloped depth. Non - conf. schedule will help them develop the depth.Young LB will be ok but need game reps

Of course is saying that Vandenberg might be the best pure passer in the big10 really that great of a compliment? Who are the other pure passer's in the league? Kirk Cousins? There are a lot of dual threat qbs in Robinson, Martinez, Bolden, the Ohio St. Freshman, Persa, etc. The only traditional qbs I could think of off the top of my head were Cousins and McGloin

Honestly, I see it as a true compliment. IMO there may be only a few traditional QBs out there, but some of them I consider decent passers. We don't need QBs capable of beating teams with their legs and if we do have in fact the best pure passer in the big 10, then paired with our running game and oline I think were in good shape offensively.

I think it's legitimate and proabably an honest statement. If he said that Vandy will be beating teams with his legs this year I'd be worried. I thought it was definitely great to hear especially since I've been skeptical of Vandy from the start and don't have a true opinion of him yet.

Me too, but what are the odds that KOK will change his stale, unimaginative "game plan" to take advantage of Vandy's talents? :(

Remind me how unimaginative KOK was in '02 and '08.

Heck, how about how unimaginative he was in '04 or '09 when the O was continually hit by the injury bug?

Fans ... even many of the good ones ... simply don't have a clue!

Honestly, I see it as a true compliment. IMO there may be only a few traditional QBs out there, but some of them I consider decent passers. We don't need QBs capable of beating teams with their legs and if we do have in fact the best pure passer in the big 10, then paired with our running game and oline I think were in good shape offensively.

I think it's legitimate and proabably an honest statement. If he said that Vandy will be beating teams with his legs this year I'd be worried. I thought it was definitely great to hear especially since I've been skeptical of Vandy from the start and don't have a true opinion of him yet.

Im not saying we need a QB that can run I am saying when most of the qb's in the league are not pure passer's is it really that much of a compliment to say that he has a chance of being the best. Because to say you have a chance to be the best out of a very small group that is not even that great is not that great of a compliment.

That being said, the second comment was a lot more of a compliment because he said could be all big10 and also play in the NFL.

Remind me how unimaginative KOK was in '02 and '08.

Heck, how about how unimaginative he was in '04 or '09 when the O was continually hit by the injury bug?

Fans ... even many of the good ones ... simply don't have a clue!

Let's reconvene on my question at the mid point of this season. Put a reminder in your Outlook calendar for Sunday, October 16th and let's revisit my query.
OK, Homer? ;)

Im not saying we need a QB that can run I am saying when most of the qb's in the league are not pure passer's is it really that much of a compliment to say that he has a chance of being the best. Because to say you have a chance to be the best out of a very small group that is not even that great is not that great of a compliment.

That being said, the second comment was a lot more of a compliment because he said could be all big10 and also play in the NFL.

I hear ya. I think my response was a bit misguiding. What I was getting at is more of the fact that I'm still up in the air on Vandy and not as 100% sold on him as everyone else seems to be at this point. To me it illustrates what we as fans have been hoping for in the fact that all the hype may actually be warranted.

DiNardo = Mason = Millen = guys who failed as talent/field generals....makes me a bit suspect of such comments.

With that said, negative-Seth can't wait for 3 weeks to pass.

All I know is up until this point, I've had the gut feeling that Vandy's role would be nothing more than a clock manager and that we would as usual be dependent on the run. I just like hearing more things that reassure me we have the pieces in place to be both a threat on the ground and in the air.

I'm not saying that I don't think it's possible, but as I've expressed what a guy does or doesn't do well in practice doesn't always carry over to how well they produce on the field and although we have a great deal of potential there's a lot of inexperience also.

All I know is up until this point, I've had the gut feeling that Vandy's role would be nothing more than a clock manager and that we would as usual be dependent on the run. I just like hearing more things that reassure me we have the pieces in place to be both a threat on the ground and in the air.

I'm not saying that I don't think it's possible, but as I've expressed what a guy does or doesn't do well in practice doesn't always carry over to how well they produce on the field and although we have a great deal of potential there's a lot of inexperience also.

These preseasonpractice things are almost always uniformly positive. Bet, they'll have some glowing things to say about Indiana, and Minnesota too.

I do like the comments about Vandenberg being a future All-Conference QB. A little surprised we haven't heard anything about Keenan Davis from them.

Just a few excerpts from Nebraska

gerrydinardo Gerry DiNardo
Nebraska Practice - QB - they are built to beat you with their legs and hopefully hurt you with their ARMS but balanced they are not.

Nebraska Practice. - WR much like secondary - they have talent - and much like the LB they need game reps

Neb. Prac LB-talented but undeveloped depth. Non - conf. schedule will help them develop the depth.Young LB will be ok but need game reps
lol

Let's reconvene on my question at the mid point of this season. Put a reminder in your Outlook calendar for Sunday, October 16th and let's revisit my query.
OK, Homer? ;)

Lol... now I have to put a note in my Outlook too just to watch. It should be an interesting debate by that time.:)

It's virtually impossible....

to win at a high level with a QB who is just a game manager. Our running game has the chance to be quite good, but to beat the good teams you have to be able to throw the ball. Of course we need to see how Vandenberg handles being the top guy each week, but he competed well against an elite college defense in 2009 at Ohio State. You don't do that without ability.

Me too, but what are the odds that KOK will change his stale, unimaginative "game plan" to take advantage of Vandy's talents? :(
I've criticized KOK before too, but this is off base. If Vandenberg can hit on those throws, that's all that matters. Shouldn't need to change any game plans if you can actually execute on your bread and butter plays.

I've criticized KOK before too, but this is off base. If Vandenberg can hit on those throws, that's all that matters. Shouldn't need to change any game plans if you can actually execute on your bread and butter plays.

I was referring more to KOK's allergy to throwing the long ball and letting his QB air it out and check down. KOK is a control freak, and he likes to keep the handcuffs on his QBs.
Vandy is apparently the kind of QB who can sling it around the yard, but I don't think he'll be allowed.

I was referring more to KOK's allergy to throwing the long ball and letting his QB air it out and check down. KOK is a control freak, and he likes to keep the handcuffs on his QBs.
Vandy is apparently the kind of QB who can sling it around the yard, but I don't think he'll be allowed.

Interesting......I thought Iowa threw the ball deep entirely too much last year. And in fact I found it intriguing that they didn't throw more intermediate passes to set things up. Especially after throwing a few deep picks……Just goes to show you people have different perspectives of things….

I haven’t seen too many others complain about the lack of deep passing though. I think they thought Ricky threw plenty of somewhat ill advised deep balls….

Just my opinion.

Chad

honestly though, when was the last time the hawks had a quarterback he could trust with those throws? stanzi's interception numbers his first 2 years would make most coaches, especially an offensive coordinator whose game plan is predicated on ball control, a little nervous. we haven't had a QB with as much promise as vandy in awhile. if he makes the throws, KOK wont have to change a thing.

honestly though, when was the last time the hawks had a quarterback he could trust with those throws? stanzi's interception numbers his first 2 years would make most coaches, especially an offensive coordinator whose game plan is predicated on ball control, a little nervous. we haven't had a QB with as much promise as vandy in awhile. if he makes the throws, KOK wont have to change a thing.

This. I love me some Stanzi, he's one of my all-time favorites. But the last QB that had the ability to air it out with relative safety was Tate. And we opened things up with him, because he could make the throws. He had a good, accurate arm, and read defenses lightning quick. Vandy has those tools as well, only with a stronger arm and a better build for a QB. Once he shows he can handle himself in a few games, I expect that we'll see a more open playbook this fall.

Interesting, most of Stanzi's INT's I remember were of the checkdown variety or out in the flat. Of course, most of those went for a pick-6 so that's probably why. I flinched just about everytime he threw to the quick out pattern.

Interesting, most of Stanzi's INT's I remember were of the checkdown variety or out in the flat. Of course, most of those went for a pick-6 so that's probably why. I flinched just about everytime he threw to the quick out pattern.

The pick-sixes were all on short routes. But the majority of his picks in '09 were intermediate to deep throws.

the INTs i was referring to were in his junior and sophomore seasons. by his senior year, KOK knew what he had in him and stanzi was a smarter player. the playbook will look different this year.

Latest posts