Sokol/Thoughts from the Big House

SonofaSailor

Ok, I was there yesterday...spent much of the drive home thinking about it...the only reason I can come up with for Rudock not coming in at all yesterday is the coaches know our starting QB next year is going to be Sokol. And they don't want to create a controversy/set Rudock up for disappointment or something. They just don't want to burn Cody's red-shirt...

That's about he only quasi logical reasoning I can think of, the season is over...the senior QB isn't getting it done, and you're getting blown out on the road...

Who knows, at least hoops season is here, I'm not even mad about football...just kind of disappointed I guess. It's not all on coaching...I truly believe we don't have the talent to compete...but that does come back to coaches at some point I guess.

JVB was just disappointing...a senior QB that has little to no awareness of the situation...

Ok, I was there yesterday...spent much of the drive home thinking about it...the only reason I can come up with for Rudock not coming in at all yesterday is the coaches know our starting QB next year is going to be Sokol. And they don't want to create a controversy/set Rudock up for disappointment or something. They just don't want to burn Cody's red-shirt...

That's about he only quasi logical reasoning I can think of, the season is over...the senior QB isn't getting it done, and you're getting blown out on the road...

Who knows, at least hoops season is here, I'm not even mad about football...just kind of disappointed I guess. It's not all on coaching...I truly believe we don't have the talent to compete...but that does come back to coaches at some point I guess.

JVB was just disappointing...a senior QB that has little to no awareness of the situation...

I agree completely. Staff must realize they missed big on Rudock, there would be no purpose in playing him, and they don't want to lose a year for Sokol.

Welcome to the board, SOS. Interesting theory. To be fair to JVB, he was decent last year but the staff this year has really confused him.

It is fact that KF thinks JVB is not playing as poorly as we all think and he can't dismiss what JVB did last season. Also JVB is a Sr. that has put his heart in soul into this program the last 5 years and his time at Iowa is growing short, KF isn't going to take that away from him right now.

Lastly, I don't believe for one second that Ruddock doesn't have the tools to be a QB at IOWA.. That is HORSECRAP...

I believe there is a lot of truth to this statement - as Miller put it, let's begin our HOPE for next year.

It is fact that KF thinks JVB is not playing as poorly as we all think and he can't dismiss what JVB did last season. Also JVB is a Sr. that has put his heart in soul into this program the last 5 years and his time at Iowa is growing short, KF isn't going to take that away from him right now.

Lastly, I don't believe for one second that Ruddock doesn't have the tools to be a QB at IOWA.. That is HORSECRAP...

Good post. While Jake may have the tools, the issue is probably reps and practice time. We all saw what happened when JVB came in against nu in 2009. Given how confused JVB looks vis a vis his wr's routes, I suspect the problem would be amplified with a backup qb. I really am not loving Davis, but given the decimated line, maybe we need to give him a pass for now.

Why are you so adamant about that last statement? I think it makes complete sense. KF knows Sokol is light years ahead of Ruddock, so he isn't putting Ruddock into a game or burning Sokol's redshirt.

Donatell is a Senior. Are you saying he has not put everything he has into the program? Law started over him.

KF sends the wrong message to the rest of the team when he will bench anyone else who makes a mistake or isn't playing well but not JVB.

I agree, the season is over. B-ball is exciting and we are undefeated, at least for now. Here's to 4 Nebraska fumbles and to 2 blocked kicks!

Not to knock Sokol, but it seems inconceivable to me that Rudock isn't even worth putting in the game. He's been on campus for almost 2 whole seasons now, and is very intelligent. Given that fact and his physical ability, for him to be so unprepared that KF won't even put him in at the end of late-season blowouts literally seems impossible.

Again, this isn't even to comment on a potential Sokol-Rudock controversy, I'm just saying I sincerely believe Ferentz is inexplicably leaving Vandenderp in the game for no valid reason.

yesitis2.gif

^^^^It's awesome that you just posted that Ancient Aliens guy. When I think of a crazy conspiracy person, I think of him. The only thing missing off that guy to be the perfect crazy person is a tin foil hat.

There is your problem. To think of what Ferentz would do, you need to think of a normal football coach, and then take away reason and accountability.

I don't believe this crap about Rudock not ready or not Big 10 material either. Reasons:

1. What does that say about Weinke? Good enough to get scholarship from Michigan, didn't work out there, and now he isn't better than Rudock, so he punts. He must really suck as a QB.

2. What does that say about AJ Derby? Highly recruited. Last year's backup QB for a while, but thought Rudock was future (just like saying about Sokol now) so switched him to LB, and he ended up transferring to JC. Wow, he must have really sucked as QB too?

3. Rudock was QB for national championship high school team. Sure, not BoneG , but he couldn't have sucked that bad to play that well.

4. Sokol may very well be more game "ready" and more experienced, he should be with two years JC football. But if he is so good, why wasn't he playing Div I football??

All said and done.....QB controversy, not ready, psychologically damage him......whatever.......WOULD IT HAVE REALLY HURT TO PLAY HIM FOR FOUR FREAKIN MINS IN A BLOWOUT GAME!!!!

It is that simple. Ferentz is close minded, stubborn,.and loyal to a fault. Could it have hurt anyone to put Rudock in for at least one series? My God, even Mossbrocker got in the game, probably Johnny Mullings too.

I agree completely. Staff must realize they missed big on Rudock, there would be no purpose in playing him, and they don't want to lose a year for Sokol.

Actually, I see not point in playing Vandenberg again. This team isn't going anywhere. They have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Nebraska, despite Ferentz's delusions. Might as well get somebody that's going to be here next year some meaningful snaps. Ferentz always points to Vandenberg's OSU and Minnesota games as being useful. Same difference now, even if Ruddock gets beat out next year.

We won't see Rudock against Nebby. Coach speak says Vandenberg has been our starter for two years, has busted his butt for this program. It's senior day and he has earned the right to play this game.

I don't believe this crap about Rudock not ready or not Big 10 material either. Reasons:

1. What does that say about Weinke? Good enough to get scholarship from Michigan, didn't work out there, and now he isn't better than Rudock, so he punts. He must really suck as a QB.

2. What does that say about AJ Derby? Highly recruited. Last year's backup QB for a while, but thought Rudock was future (just like saying about Sokol now) so switched him to LB, and he ended up transferring to JC. Wow, he must have really sucked as QB too?

3. Rudock was QB for national championship high school team. Sure, not BoneG , but he couldn't have sucked that bad to play that well.

4. Sokol may very well be more game "ready" and more experienced, he should be with two years JC football. But if he is so good, why wasn't he playing Div I football??

All said and done.....QB controversy, not ready, psychologically damage him......whatever.......WOULD IT HAVE REALLY HURT TO PLAY HIM FOR FOUR FREAKIN MINS IN A BLOWOUT GAME!!!!

It is that simple. Ferentz is close minded, stubborn,.and loyal to a fault. Could it have hurt anyone to put Rudock in for at least one series? My God, even Mossbrocker got in the game, probably Johnny Mullings too.

Have you seen Derby's CC stats?

Completions14914th8421st
Attempts3216th19912th
Completion %46.4%42nd42.2%43rd
Yards193614th111021st
Yards per game193.619th158.628th
Yards per attempt6.0108th5.690th
Touchdowns228th1511th
Interceptions147th912th
Sacks629th430th
Yards lost4432nd2435t

Another thing.......Sokol wasn't "light years" ahead of Rudock in the preseason public scrimmages, in fact Rudock performed better. And Sokol has been in program since January I believe. I don't believe he could have jumped that far ahead of Rudock as a redshirt, not getting as many practice reps with offense.

There has to be more to it, something not being told. Maybe if the press wouldn't be so timid about questioning Ferentz they could get a better answer for this. Eventually the true story will be leaked.

Have you seen Derby's CC stats?

Right, I am not saying Derby is a great college QB. The point is that last year the coaches thought enough of Rudock to be comfortable switching Derby the #2 QB and then not investing playing time with Weinke, to the point where he turned his attention to punting so he could see the field.

If Rudock potential was highly regarded enough to cause these changes, why isn't he even good enough now to play in blowout.

Last edited:

Latest posts