So who's getting worried about JW?

His confidence is gone, you can see the hesitation when he gets open and sometimes isn't even taking the shot. Hopefully he can get this back soon.

Not worried, BUT he just needs to grow a pair and just play ball. Become stronger with the ball and the world's your oyster. The B1G is a rough place (just look at Garza's face). Last night's game I saw a few opportunities for JW to get on the floor after a loose ball. He chose not to. Not sure what he's afraid of. At times he's a quiet assassin. Other times, he's the invisible man. He'll get there and I hope it's during our next game against PSU. We need him now more than ever.

He will be a second team all league player as a true sophomore. If that’s “average” than everyone else on our team outside of Garza is below average to horrendous.

Expectations are what is shaping this. He’s really struggling right now for certain but he’s still one of the top 10-15 players in the conference. That’s above average.
I’m not arguing the points you’re making in general. But I think Joe’s recent struggles may keep out of 2nd team all conference. He has to look real good these last 3 games IMO.

Not worried, BUT he just needs to grow a pair and just play ball. Become stronger with the ball and the world's your oyster. The B1G is a rough place (just look at Garza's face). Last night's game I saw a few opportunities for JW to get on the floor after a loose ball. He chose not to. Not sure what he's afraid of. At times he's a quiet assassin. Other times, he's the invisible man. He'll get there and I hope it's during our next game against PSU. We need him now more than ever.
I think his first problem is related to quiff. Just a hunch.

The loose ball thing pisses me off. OSU game ball on floor / he doesnt go down after, just stood there reaching. Has happened other times, and loses too many 50 balls.

Needs to have a couple pet bounce moves instead of straight line dribble drives.

Moar muscle, more toughness. Get pissed dude, you’re too good.

Joe will figure it out. Too bad the slump is coming at this point in the season. Hawks are fighting for a favorable seed in both tournaments coming up so that is unfortunate. We've all seen teams and players go thru hot and cold streaks.

If Weiscamp played the way he is capable of, Iowa wins that game vs the screaming mad Izzo's
And we lose to Wisconsin and Michigan without him, for starters.

He just needs a Devontae Green type game and he will be back. He will have a challenge Saturday. Stevens will probably be guarding him.

Just call it michael payne disease.
Michael Payne would have been destroyed in the social media age.

Don't know what happened to him. He outplayed Greg Stokes his first year and a half, then a long steady decline the rest of his career.

My all "This Guy Would Have Been Destroyed In Social Media Age" team

Troy Skinner (captain)
Michael Payne
Todd Berkenpas
Greg Helmers
Brian Garner

He just needs a Devontae Green type game and he will be back. He will have a challenge Saturday. Stevens will probably be guarding him.
Well see a different JW b/c it'll be at home. I mean that in a good way. I think he has a big game

He just needs to come off a screen and catch and shoot. No thinking or hesitation. Otherwise you can tell he is way overthinking every shot and every move. Nothing coming natural.

Anyone who drank the kool aid that this guy was all Big 10 and/or going pro need to watch some tape. He is weak and not that quick. He has above average length, but all you have to do is play physical with him and he's falling on the floor and getting frustrated. Every time I'd read an article talking him up I'd scratch my head.

He needs to develop a step back or a fade away . Otherwise he will struggle with his lack of athleticism getting his shot off

Slumps happen and he has been getting smothered and mugged, other than 2 WIDE OPEN 3s at crucial times that sure would have helped, but I think (hope) he bottomed out at MSU. Would like to see less head hanging and more ball busting when shots are not falling. Looking for better JW rest of BT followed by great JW in NCAA where teams don't have him as figured out.

Good news is you'd think it would be a wake up call to give the NBA dream a rest and go Garza in the off season. If college players are locking you up like this you ain't close to ready for an early exit.

Michael Payne would have been destroyed in the social media age.

Don't know what happened to him. He outplayed Greg Stokes his first year and a half, then a long steady decline the rest of his career.

My all "This Guy Would Have Been Destroyed In Social Media Age" team

Troy Skinner (captain)
Michael Payne
Todd Berkenpas
Greg Helmers
Brian Garner
Add Kevin Boyle from my era. Lights out as a frosh and soph....slid as a junior, awful as a senior

he always plays well at home and then is a no show for road games It's head scratching.

Add Kevin Boyle from my era. Lights out as a frosh and soph....slid as a junior, awful as a senior
A dead ringer for Kenyon Murray's career. I did a comp a while back. Their similarities are downright eerie, from career stats to career linear paths.

Boyle would have received votes for my all-time five. He failed to scratch against Derek Smith and Louisville in the 1980 final four game and never fully recovered.

Todd Berkanpas came off the bench in the second half of his first career game and hit his first seven shots. He should have quit while he was ahead.

Last edited:
His confidence is gone, you can see the hesitation when he gets open and sometimes isn't even taking the shot. Hopefully he can get this back soon.

Yes, in the last 10 minutes the other nite he had a wide open 3 with space and barely gave the rim a look.

Reading though all of these posts and threads I was one of the first to mention JW needs another good shooter on the other side of the floor saying a JBO and CJF on that side of the floor would free JW up a lot.

I liked Boyle. Fact is he looked better early because of who he had around him. Fact is he was really pretty awful from the beginning.

JW is playing undersized. He s likely worn out.