So which of the Monday Morning Qbs out there...

iahawk20

will be calling Kirk tonight?

This is your shot to call and tell Kirk what you think. So who will call hawktalk...they do not screen out negative callers. So which of you will take advantage?

My guess is no one. I'm sure a lot of us are upset about it, but whether we agree with the decision making or not, at the end of the day the majority of us still wouldn't want anyone else coaching this team. IMO fans will accept things for what they are and let it pass while still believing that he played it safe whether it was a bad decision or not.

What good would it do? He isn't going to say "Yes, I agree...I made a mistake and it won't happen again. Next time we'll be more aggressive."

You'll get the usual song and dance.....if he had it do over he might have done it differently...he was hoping the defense would get a stop in OT...they ran Coker hoping he'd get a big gain and they'd go from there, but since he didn't the only option was to play for OT....lather, rinse, repeat.

I'd much rather have an opportunity to just talk with Ferentz privately. Maybe I'd get the same kind of response, but if it were just a conversation between two people (not a coach/reporter, or fan on a call-in show), maybe there would be a little be more interesting dialogue. Otherwise, we just get the same schtick.

I am trying to think if I have ever read or seen coaches say "Yes, you fans are correct. We should have fun the ball on 4th and 1" or "Yes, we should have called different plays in last minute to go for FG instead of playing for overtime'. I can not recall any coach doing that.

KF has been consistent in his replies about coaching criticism and player criticism. His emphasis is on having to do better. He is well respected for not pubicly bashing his players and no coach is ever going to second guess himself too often. He wont stay a coach very long if he does.

Simple fact is Iowa was outplayed on Saturday by ISU. The players were outplayed and that implies the coaches were outcoached. That iswhat happens when you lose.

If Coker had gotten 20 yards instead of 2 on the last drive of game, then Iowa would be going for it. Play didnt work. IF Davis catches a very catchable ball, then there is no 4th down situation and they may still be playing :)

I am trying to think if I have ever read or seen coaches say "Yes, you fans are correct. We should have fun the ball on 4th and 1" or "Yes, we should have called different plays in last minute to go for FG instead of playing for overtime'. I can not recall any coach doing that.

KF has been consistent in his replies about coaching criticism and player criticism. His emphasis is on having to do better. He is well respected for not pubicly bashing his players and no coach is ever going to publicly second guess himself. He wont stay a coach very long if he does.

Simple fact is Iowa was outplayed on Saturday by ISU. The players were outplayed and that implies the coaches were outcoached. That iswhat happens when you lose.

If Coker had gotten 20 yards instead of 2 on the last drive of game, then Iowa would be going for it. Play didnt work. IF Davis catches a very catchable ball, then there is no 4th down situation and they may still be playing :)

I'd be willing to bet they question their decision making internally a lot more than we think and that they do internally blame themselves periodically. However, that said when they start coming out second guessing their decisions publicly it leads to a sense of uncertainty and if the players start to see the coach second guessing themselves then the staff loses credibility amoungst the players. Rarely will a coach come out and admit that they screwed up or openly admit that they should have done things different, but I'd guarantee that it weighs heavily on them. The question is whether or not it convinces them to do things differently in the future.

KF wont be changing anything anytime soon, we've had the same conservative style in 12+ seasons. My only gripe is at least put yourself in better position to go for it. If we lose trying then its not as bad not even trying at all. Instead of handing off to Coker hoping he breaks a 20 yard run, try the jailbreak screen or a fade over the top to McNutt or Davis, if it doesn't work fine, or the 4th and 1, they've been overpursing the whole game, play action, roll vandy out and you've got an easy dump off to a TE or he can run for 1 yard at least. My personal opinion is at least you tried and went down swinging. KF has gone for a few fake FG's in the past but not much success, but its not a good play in my opinion the holder flips the ball over his head to the kicker, I think Keading scored the only touchdown against ohio state on this fake, cant remember the year for sure, I remember Murray got blown up on it one time as well and I think they tried once more but I dont remember for sure. Anyway I digress, but my thought is with as much coaching experience we have, we should be able to design a better fake play or have the play in our pocket that we know we can get 1 yard with.

will be calling Kirk tonight?

This is your shot to call and tell Kirk what you think. So who will call hawktalk...they do not screen out negative callers. So which of you will take advantage?

They don't screen callers for that show? Wow, that's pretty brave.

Give me a break. I listened to that show for years. Even when people do ask tough questions, Dolph just spins the question around anyway. That show is a waste of time.

Give me a break. I listened to that show for years. Even when people do ask tough questions, Dolph just spins the question around anyway. That show is a waste of time.

Very true. Dolph pretty much always takes a tough question and spins it to soften the blow ... I listen to the show but have only called in one time. There was a caller tonight who commented on the 4th and 1 in overtime, and on the decision to sit on the ball at the end of regulation ... Kirk stuck to his cue cards and gave the same response he gave in Tuesday's presser ... Dolph will usually take questions like that and provide a softball response before Kirk gives his two cents. Most of the calls are generic ... By now we all know Kirk is very generic in his responses. That's simply who he is.

Latest posts