So, what's the opinion of Bobby Elliot's coaching abilities?

Mesaclone

Banned
It appears he may be the next secondary coach at ISU. My memories of him coaching previously are a bit vague...seems like he was solid coach, but can he recruit. The coach he's replacing was an excellent recruiter (Chris Ash-who's going to Wisconsin)...so I'm hoping Bobby can hold up that end of the bargain. Thoughts...memories?

Solid coach and a good person...glad to see he's stayed healthy...and anyone who bolts for Wisconsin is a tool...so congrats on the upgrade.

His last position at Iowa was Defensive coordinator/Assistant Head Coach and except for his getting sick Bobby would have succeeded Hayden Fry as head coach.

He would have never been the next coach

He is bitter and not a fan of IOwa anymore

When they were at KSU BB would not even let him come over and watch the Iowa -ISU game because he bad mouthed Iowa constantly

Yes Elliott has since burned his bridges with Iowa football but that doesn't change the fact everyone knew Hayden was grooming him to take over the program:

Iowa defensive back would have been a lock to succeed Fry as the Hawkeyes' head coach. Among those holding such an opinion is SDSU head coach Chuck Long, who was recommended to Fry by Elliott to become the Hawkeyes' secondary coach in 1995. Long had played for Fry at Iowa and was looking for an entry point into the coaching ranks. "Bob was in line to get the job and would have gotten it, but then he got sick,” Long said. “My heart just broke for him. We all had a feeling that Hayden was going to retire, and there is no question that Bob Elliott is head-coaching material.

Yes, you would have to be a tool to leave a job at ISU for Wisconsin. Whatever. How many Rose Bowl wins has Wisconsin had since Alvarez went there? How many bowl wins has ISU had in the same time?

It appears he may be the next secondary coach at ISU. My memories of him coaching previously are a bit vague...seems like he was solid coach, but can he recruit. The coach he's replacing was an excellent recruiter (Chris Ash-who's going to Wisconsin)...so I'm hoping Bobby can hold up that end of the bargain. Thoughts...memories?[/QUOTE

Philosophy/schematically will fit in nicely with what Wally Burnham's trying to do.

I'm not a recruiting guy so I really don't know much in that regard. I am sure he still has a lot of relationships with the in-state high school coaches. If my memory serves me correctly he was good at finding hidden gems within the state.

As a recruiter, Coach Elliot is excellent. He will do nothing but help their program. IMHO he was jobbed by Boobsby and never had a chance to succeed Hayden. Bobby Elliot is a class act, and I for one am glad he's healthy again, and in the coaching ranks where he belongs. It will be ISU's gain if he goes there.

Bobby was not a candidate for the Iowa job, because he had serious health problems at the time Hayden left.

Latest posts