So, what's the biggest concern? Offense or Defense come Saturday?

I would love to see us line up in a 5 -2 with five defensive linemen. Put Carl on the nose, Jaleel and LTP at the tackles and Hardy and Ott at the DE's...and force them wide on everything. Getting Gordon running east-west / horizontal is a good thing...as long as our corners get off blocks and make tackles.

I'm not sure you get make that change in a week and get everyone's assignments consistent...but stretching them out and getting penetration is one hope of making sure their backs don't get to the line of scrimmage with a head of steam like they did against Nebraska...Gordon was at full tilt as he was going through the line.

I believe that the Offense is the biggest concern.

Iowa's defense has been really inconsistent, but their worst performances have been on the road: Minnesota, Maryland, Pitt (1st half)
At home the defense has been decent (Indiana and UNI games aside). They appear to have cleaned things up pretty well at home.

Iowa's offense will struggle to move the ball on this Wisconsin defense. If Jake is constantly pressured, he will have a bad game. There is lots of film from this season to prove it.

Last season, Iowa had big problems moving the ball against Michigan State. Wisconsin's defense is every bit as good as MSU was last year. They play a different scheme, but they have really good play-makers that are rarely out of position. Also, with Wisconsin you never know what they are going to throw at you on 3rd down. Iowa's offense needs to protect the QB better than they have all season in order for JR to be productive. If ever there was a game where CJB is clearly the best choice, this is it. imo. We all know who will get the majority of the snaps, so lets just hope the line can protect Ruddock and give him time to do what he needs to do.

a few point about last years' game. To pendulum really swung in Wisky's favor after 2 INTs gave them a short field in 2nd half.

Iowa led 6-0 with less than 2:00 remaining before Halftime.

Iowa had 1st down from the 6 and 12 and only got 6 pts

Rudock INT on 20 give WISC short field in 3rd Qtr and next play is 20yd TD pass for WISC to take 14-6 lead 7:34 left in 3rd.
Rudock injured on INT.

Iowa again w/1st down on 12 settles for FG in 3rd to cut to 14-9 2:27 remaining in 3rd.

Time of possession only separated by 3:06.

CJB threw INT at Iowa 25 to give WISC short field AGAIN. 3 plays later 21-9 WISC 6:29 remaining in 4th.

Iowa only trailed 14-9 with 6:30 remaining in the 4th Qtr

WISC ices game with TD with 1:35 remaining in game

Gordon was 17 for 25 yards, White 132 yds.

Ruddock left game in 3rd w/sprained knee. CJB finished 4 of 16 for 70 yds INT.

Total yards Wisc 362 to 289 Iowa. Wisc had 76 yds on final drive to ice it.

Does Iowa try and take away Gordon as much as possible, and try for Stave to beat us? Or does Iowa try and keep up with the amount of points that Wisconsin could score if Gordon runs crazy?

What's the lesser of two evils? As fans, which side of the ball do we have more confidence in?

It is a reality in any game of football...keep the ball away from the opponent is your best defense. Our offense has to grind out long possessions, and simply limit Wisconsin's touches of the ball.

I would love to see us line up in a 5 -2 with five defensive linemen. but stretching them out and getting penetration

I think you can get the 5-2 look by putting one of your lbkrs on the LOS nearly every play. The LNKR can be outside the DEnd but on the LOS and the rest of the DLine can be slightly shifted onto a blocker or in gaps however PParker wants it.

Whoever is the official edge player needs to get up field a good step or yard to turn plays end or slow down sweeps and make the runner go deeper or even better make the tackle.

I think disrupting their blocking is a major objective of some plan like this with penetration making the running backs have to stop and sidestep in their own backfields.

The corners have to play on an island and have great games just like the safeties.

I can sit through a game with bad defense...but asking me to sit through inept lame offense is asking too much.

Offense, easily.
Wisconsin was minus Chris Borland, last year, and the defense set up the offense on the Wisconsin side of the field 3(?) times inside their 50, and all we could get is 6 points.
We also held Gordon to around 60 yards.
We lost 28-9, given those circumstances, and Wisconsin defense is better, and our offense feels worse this year.

This. I watched the YouTube vid of last yrs game and Iowa was leading 6-0 before a basic Hail Mary touchdown on 3rd and 7 and was still only behind 14-9 with 7 min left in the game and the ball before cjb was picked off. Opportunities will be key.

Latest posts