So What Will It Look Like in 5 Years with the NIL

With my lawyer cap on, I actually think schools and collectives will become more organized and stabilize the market through contracts. No one is handing out a million bucks without a contract with terms. Those terms are going to start to include a term of service. In other words, stud kid getting a million bucks, if you transfer before 3 years is up, you have to pay the money back.

These types of agreements are regularly used in employment contracts and are legal in most states. These kids are getting paid a lot of money, and the people fronting that money are going to want to see them stick around.

This may not be just to lock in the stud transfers. Maybe your whole freshmen class gets 50k each, but they agree to stay for 3 or 4 years. So, if a kid blows up, he can't just run to a program with more cash.

The pendulum is going to swing back and this is one way it will.

I don’t know if you could require them to stay at the school but you could certainly require X number of appearances over a period of time.

So you write in the athlete has to sign autographs in Iowa City once a month then he transfers to Alabama. Either make the trip every month or pay us back.

I can already see the reverse pendulum swing of schools paying off nil contracts these athletes break.

With my lawyer cap on, I actually think schools and collectives will become more organized and stabilize the market through contracts. No one is handing out a million bucks without a contract with terms. Those terms are going to start to include a term of service. In other words, stud kid getting a million bucks, if you transfer before 3 years is up, you have to pay the money back.

These types of agreements are regularly used in employment contracts and are legal in most states. These kids are getting paid a lot of money, and the people fronting that money are going to want to see them stick around.

This may not be just to lock in the stud transfers. Maybe your whole freshmen class gets 50k each, but they agree to stay for 3 or 4 years. So, if a kid blows up, he can't just run to a program with more cash.

The pendulum is going to swing back and this is one way it will.
Agree. I think some form of contracts will need to be put in place, similar to the NFL.

I still have faint hopes that some sort of small, common-sense legislation can come out of Congress that would regulate this process at some level. Leaving it to the NCAA, with its now neutered authority, is silly. Leaving it to each state could lead to even more competitive advantages to some schools over others. Simple rules such as:

Creating serious fines/consequences to any NIL discussions or contracts that occur before a kid signs a LOI with a specific school. In other words, take specific offers/deals for NIL out of the recruiting process.

All contracts must be provided to the schools/conferences/NCAA for scrutiny

All deals must pass muster as providing comparable service for value. Paying a kid a million bucks to sign autographs for a day is not NIL, it is bribe money to attend a school. But, Clark doing a State Farm commercial for a million bucks is absolutely NIL and really what was intended for NIL.

All collectives have to be licensed and registered with the NCAA/Conference

Establish a path for the schools to pay the students directly at a level that allows for competitive balance (salary cap) so that collectives have less of a role in all this.

That sort of stuff.

I just don't see how the ROI on these kids can be worth it. Like, if an elite QB cost a mil, what if they come to your school on a bum knee and then can hardly walk and then are out of the season after game 5?

What if you buy a Jeff Simms out of the ACC and he comes to your school at has 20 turnovers in his first 3 games?

Like at some point, doesn't the market kind of balance and settle? I've also heard NOTHING but how Nebraska is winning in the NIL and that they will be able to compete because of their big dollar donars. A good QB on thier team this season and they likely would have won 8 or 9 games....and their HC is like "nah we're gonna run it back again this season caue we can't compete in the open market for a QB?"

weird.
Weird, but appears Rhule has an understanding and common sense that most Nebraska fans don't which most likely leads to the differing thought processes. One seems to be rational and the other continues to be delusional and still feel relevant.

This is where culture is going to become king. Money can buy players, but it can't make them stick around, and it can't make them work together. Iowa has lost remarkably few players to the portal over the last few years, especially considering how ugly things have gotten on the offensive side of the ball. Instead, we see offensive players hugging BF and dousing him with gatorade after his final home game. That is what a superior culture gets you, and that is going to have to be one way the have-nots try to compete with the haves.

Iowa is actually sitting okay with NIL (top-half of the conference), but most importantly, they built their system for sustainability and growth. They didn't lose their heads like a drunk dude on his first night in Vegas...they built the system thoughtfully and did not get over their skis. They caught crap for moving too methodically, but I think it will pay off in the long wrong. Sure would help to have a few billionaire alumni, though.

100% agreement.
The centralized approach of NIL and coordination with the U and the football program. The program/coach SHOULD have some ability to request/direct/suggest some of the spending. Because that's the guy who's ultimately deploying the team. Doesn't mean they get total control, but they should all be involved. But not completely directing.

And, yes...I've said many many times that Brian must be a good dude who many players appreciate as a coach. Granted, it's early days, but Brian was in the black in regards to the portal. He was still, ultimately, a horrible OC. But certainly appreciated by many of the players.

I still have faint hopes that some sort of small, common-sense legislation can come out of Congress that would regulate this process at some level. Leaving it to the NCAA, with its now neutered authority, is silly. Leaving it to each state could lead to even more competitive advantages to some schools over others. Simple rules such as:

Creating serious fines/consequences to any NIL discussions or contracts that occur before a kid signs a LOI with a specific school. In other words, take specific offers/deals for NIL out of the recruiting process.

All contracts must be provided to the schools/conferences/NCAA for scrutiny

All deals must pass muster as providing comparable service for value. Paying a kid a million bucks to sign autographs for a day is not NIL, it is bribe money to attend a school. But, Clark doing a State Farm commercial for a million bucks is absolutely NIL and really what was intended for NIL.

All collectives have to be licensed and registered with the NCAA/Conference

Establish a path for the schools to pay the students directly at a level that allows for competitive balance (salary cap) so that collectives have less of a role in all this.

That sort of stuff.
Good stuff. Thanks.

The NIL has become just a signing bonus to attend that school, and I'm OK with that. I was recently tailgating in the lot attached to Carver before a football game, and we saw a prominent basketball player drive off in a new Lexus SUV and saw what I assume was a wrestler drive off in a new BMW. Good for them, that they are profiting off their abilities.

I don't think NCAA or the government will be able to regulate any of this NIL, because it can and will be done under the table no matter what regulations are in place, so the rich will always be getting richer.

The one area I think could help slow down the annual free agency is transfer rules. I like that a player can transfer without having to sit out if there was a coaching change/personal hardship, or even if the kid lost the starting job (like McNamara to Iowa), or even as a grad transfer if they have already given 4 years to their original school. However, a kid should be limited to only 1 'free' transfer. If someone is now transferring for a 2nd or 3rd time, then they should have to sit out 1 year. I think limiting the transferring would be good for both sides. The original programs are not at risk of losing every good player each year to a bigger program, and the kids don't act on bad advice and get themselves in a worse situation. We've all seen examples of a kid leaving one school for money or promises of more playing time/better exposure, and it doesn't work out. Then that kid is bouncing around again looking for a landing spot when they should have just stayed with their current school in the first place.

Nobody is talking about the mismatch of funds flow. Incoming revenue from TV goes to the university. Then funds flow to players from fans/boosters. It just does not seem sustainable. The funds to be paid out will far exceed the sums paid back in the days of under the table bag money.

I just remembered that NIL can come from corporate sponsorships. Some big like Nissan and some small like local restaurants.

I don't know, I just don't know. I suppose with the right coach, Iowa will be pretty much what its been for the last 45 years.

Latest posts