So we're 2 weeks out from National Signing Day....

I’m curious about how you specifically feel that the coaches are doing a good job working on their top targets and why you have any level of confidence that this coaching staff is capable of finishing off this recruiting class any stronger than their track record suggests they will?

Iowa has top 20 football facilities in the entire country. They have had top 20 on field production over the past couple of seasons. They put a good amount of players in the NFL, another selling point. Yet here we are just a few weeks away from signing day and Iowa hasn’t had a commitment in what, six weeks? They’ve had what, three de-committments? They have 5-8 spots to fill that will more than likely be filled with two star backup plan options that will be poached from MAC teams when they lose out on their top remaining targets. Not being negative, just playing the odds based on the track record of this staff’s ability to recruit.

Iowa is currently ranked 12th in the Big Ten with this current recruiting class on Rivals, Scout and 247sports. 54th, 49th and 51st nationally. This staff has been, is currently, and will continue to be underachievers when it comes to recruiting, which is the lifeblood of continued success on the field.

For you to say Iowa and doing a good job with anything recruiting related sure feels like you’ve got a skewed perspective on this specific topic. By the numbers, this year’s recruiting class simply isn’t good enough. Where does the good job by the staff come in?

I'm not entirely opposed to poaching MAC recruits if their film shows a quality recruit. There have been a bunch of MAC guys that are playing in the NFL playoff games....Big Ben, Antonio Brown, Eric Fisher, etc, etc.....

You are the one who said they are doing a good job. You haven't specifically answered my question on why you feel they are doing a good job. I hope you didn't say that simply because the staff is on the road trying. There is no direct connection between trying to do something and doing something well. I can try to hit a 100MPH fastball. Doesn't mean I'll be good at it.

And you haven't specifically answered my question on what they should be doing right now.

They're offering kids and visiting them along with the ones they've been pursuing for over time. The kids I've talked to have spoken highly of Iowa and the coaches they've met with. Should they do magic tricks on the visits to impress them more? Maybe they can help clean the houses up before leaving?

And you haven't specifically answered my question on what they should be doing right now.

They're offering kids and visiting them along with the ones they've been pursuing for over time. The kids I've talked to have spoken highly of Iowa and the coaches they've met with. Should they do magic tricks on the visits to impress them more? Maybe they can help clean the houses up before leaving?
Hookers and cash.

Why did we cool on Zamari Maxwell? He was a target for a while, but now it seems we stopped recruiting him.

I also share the concerns of posters above about how long it's been since we landed a solid recruit. I would be willing to bet we land none of the 5 dean listed (no offense intended dean) and we end up signing crappy 2 stars. That's just what Iowa seems to do anymore.

Why did we cool on Zamari Maxwell? He was a target for a while, but now it seems we stopped recruiting him.

I also share the concerns of posters above about how long it's been since we landed a solid recruit. I would be willing to bet we land none of the 5 dean listed (no offense intended dean) and we end up signing crappy 2 stars. That's just what Iowa seems to do anymore.

The Maxwell one didn't surprise me as he pretty much indicated that distance from home was a big issue for him. No reason to waste valuable time and resources when it's obvious he doesn't want to go that far from home....

Actually I have. I said sell the program better and close the deal. That would be doing a good job. Thus far, they haven't done that. Do other programs do magic tricks to close recruits? If so, then yes, magic tricks will work. Do other programs clean the recruits house before leaving? If so, then yes, please clean their house.

You mean the 2 punters we are recruiting? Another kid loved his visit with KF, and then committed to Minnesota that weekend. Doesn't that tell you something?

The Maxwell one didn't surprise me as he pretty much indicated that distance from home was a big issue for him. No reason to waste valuable time and resources when it's obvious he doesn't want to go that far from home....

He has ISU near the top of his list currently so not sure distance is much of an issue.

Every year is different. Sometimes the class is done early, like last year. Sometimes it fills up at the end.

Punters usually are two-stars. Not sure Coluzzi was even that but we don't win eight games without him last year.

I'm going to wait until signing day to judge this class. As I said, you guys can throw dirt on the grave now if you like. Your choice.

Other coaches have done in-home visits with Martin and Johnston and haven't closed the deal either.

I surmise that a lot of us are very nervous about Iowa's recruiting class for 2017, especially since early on we were seemingly in control of a top notch class. Right now, we have some good recruits, no argument. As far as where we are ranked right now, the number of commits impacts significantly. And, we will get more and likely jump up. But, in the meantime, I am really concerned.

They're out on the road meeting with the top prospects. What else would you like them to do?

Maybe they want the staff to offer money and hookers, who knows.

I saw CBS Sports had Epenesa the #6 recruit overall. Even if we don't hit a home run in these last few days, it's gonna be a win to get this guy in black and gold next year.

You mean the 2 punters we are recruiting? Another kid loved his visit with KF, and then committed to Minnesota that weekend. Doesn't that tell you something?
KF probably told him to commit to Minnesota if he thought it would be better for him, rather than convincing the kid he could have an even more rewarding experience at Iowa.

Latest posts