So we're 2 weeks out from National Signing Day....

SpiderRico

...and we're still somewhere between 6 and 8 players short of a full scholarship load for the year. I would have figured with the dead period coming to an end that we would have seen at least a small handful of new commits by now. Any idea if we have a stable of "silent" commits at this point? Or is it going to be all-out-scramble-mode coming down the stretch?

I think Iowa is "all in" on a few guys. Just like Alaric Jackson and Noah Fant last year. This year we just have a few more of them:

1) Oliver Martin
2) Thomas Johnston
3) ISM
4) Rafdal
5) Lovett/Bryan

I'd bet when we miss on some of those guys, the next waive of offers will be going out. I'm sure the coaches are lining those up right now and staying in contact for the Just in case.

The coaches are doing a good job of working on their top targets and guys farther down the board. I like the approach.

The coaches are doing a good job of working on their top targets and guys farther down the board. I like the approach.

The approach after the fact is fine, but in this day and age of earlier and earlier commits, to only be sitting at 60% of your committed targets probably isn't where you want to be at this point....

The approach after the fact is fine, but in this day and age of earlier and earlier commits, to only be sitting at 60% of your committed targets probably isn't where you want to be at this point....

That number includes three de-commits. Plus, spots have opened up in this class with defections and injuries. It's an inexact science and very fluid.

That is why they are pushing like hell for the final 5 guys they are still very much in on.

I'd be cool with the top 3 on your list and then sprinkle in some others after the fact....but we've GOT to get 2 quality receivers out of this class....

I’m curious about how you specifically feel that the coaches are doing a good job working on their top targets and why you have any level of confidence that this coaching staff is capable of finishing off this recruiting class any stronger than their track record suggests they will?

Iowa has top 20 football facilities in the entire country. They have had top 20 on field production over the past couple of seasons. They put a good amount of players in the NFL, another selling point. Yet here we are just a few weeks away from signing day and Iowa hasn’t had a commitment in what, six weeks? They’ve had what, three de-committments? They have 5-8 spots to fill that will more than likely be filled with two star backup plan options that will be poached from MAC teams when they lose out on their top remaining targets. Not being negative, just playing the odds based on the track record of this staff’s ability to recruit.

Iowa is currently ranked 12th in the Big Ten with this current recruiting class on Rivals, Scout and 247sports. 54th, 49th and 51st nationally. This staff has been, is currently, and will continue to be underachievers when it comes to recruiting, which is the lifeblood of continued success on the field.

For you to say Iowa and doing a good job with anything recruiting related sure feels like you’ve got a skewed perspective on this specific topic. By the numbers, this year’s recruiting class simply isn’t good enough. Where does the good job by the staff come in?

Actually close the deal on a few. Do a better job of selling the program. What do you mean what else do I want them to do?

Exactly, we posted at the same time. I guess Rob is fine with the coaches just visting with these kids, at some point you have to close the deal, this staff has shown the last 3 months (maybe longer, I can't keep track of their last commit it's been so long) they can't do that. Until then, you are going to have fans question their ability to sell the program.

Actually close the deal on a few. Do a better job of selling the program. What do you mean what else do I want them to do?

I think my inquiry was pretty straight forward.

They are trying to close the deal. The deals aren't done yet. What else do you want them to do right now, today? As I said, they're out recruiting trying to close the deal. What else do you want them to do?

Exactly, we posted at the same time. I guess Rob is fine with the coaches just visting with these kids, at some point you have to close the deal, this staff has shown the last 3 months (maybe longer, I can't keep track of their last commit it's been so long) they can't do that. Until then, you are going to have fans question their ability to sell the program.

How about we wait to see how things end up before judging how things are going to shake out? Or, should be just throw dirt on the whole thing now?

Ha, this is the first time I've heard about moral victories in recruiting. Does each staff member get a recruiting participation medal once spring practice starts to signify all of their good efforts on finishing second on some decent recruits? Close. The. Deal. As fans, that's what we want. And it's been MONTHS since this staff has done that.

I think my inquiry was pretty straight forward.

They are trying to close the deal. The deals aren't done yet. What else do you want them to do right now, today? As I said, they're out recruiting trying to close the deal. What else do you want them to do?

You are the one who said they are doing a good job. You haven't specifically answered my question on why you feel they are doing a good job. I hope you didn't say that simply because the staff is on the road trying. There is no direct connection between trying to do something and doing something well. I can try to hit a 100MPH fastball. Doesn't mean I'll be good at it.

Pretty much how it works for most programs. I think our visitor's list for the coming weekends should be a fairly good barometer of where we're headed. Personally, not setting the bar high with my expectations.

Will be interesting to see how long Kirk is willing to wait before potentially cutting the cord on some that have stated they may wait until the final weekend before deciding. He has stated numerous times that he likes to have his recruiting classes wrapped up early. Can't remember Iowa having this many openings to fill with a couple weeks to go. Have had some good candidates in during the season on visits but just couldn't close on any of them.

How about we wait to see how things end up before judging how things are going to shake out? Or, should be just throw dirt on the whole thing now?

I get that Rob, but we're 2 weeks from signing day and it's crunch time. Other teams are getting commits, and we're not. That is concerning to me and should be to you. Now if we can reel in Martin and Johnston, a RB, and another WR, then I'll be happy but I haven't seen any indication that is going to happen.

Latest posts