so we were wrong... and right

Bigtenchamp

A lot of us thought this team could go hit 20 wins and go 9/9 in the conference...

Where we were really wrong was that would be good enough for the tourney (given how good we knew the conference would be).

A lot of us thought this team could go hit 20 wins and go 9/9 in the conference...

Where we were really wrong was that would be good enough for the tourney (given how good we knew the conference would be).

If Purdue would have been better we would have one more good win and one less bad loss. That would have gotten us close to the bubble with that record. Also if Va Tech was good.

If Purdue would have been better we would have one more good win and one less bad loss. That would have gotten us close to the bubble with that record. Also if Va Tech was good.

Our non con was deadly weak ... don't think anyone realized how bad that was going to cost us

Still have to beat Illinois to get to 9-9 in conference. I don't understand why that is assumed.

I think most of us that saw 9-9 were thinking Iowa would also need a bit of a run in the BTT.

But realistically, this has pretty much turned out like expected. The teams Iowa was considered better than are behind them and the teams that were considered better than Iowa are ahead.

Now the RDM - MG switch throws a monkey wrench in the whole thing. Could go either way.

I thought Iowa would be 20-11 (9-9) but that wouldn't be enough to get them into the Tourney.That looks pretty much the case.

I think most of us that saw 9-9 were thinking Iowa would also need a bit of a run in the BTT. But realistically, this has pretty much turned out like expected. The teams Iowa was considered better than are behind them and the teams that were considered better than Iowa are ahead. Now the RDM - MG switch throws a monkey wrench in the whole thing. Could go either way.
Yep.

I'm pretty sure next year Iowa is in a tournament with Syracuse and Texas at the very least, not sure about that though? Playing the cuse would be a OOC RPI booster.

Syracuse is in the Maui Invitational (Nov. 25-27) and Texas is in CBE Hall of Fame Classic (Nov. 25-26) while Iowa is in the Great Alaska Shootout (Nov. 27-30) with Alaska-Anchorage, Denver, Harvard, Indiana St, Pepperdine, TCU, and Tulsa.

I found this info here: 2013-14 College Basketball Early Season Tournaments And Events - Blogging the Bracket

It's more hurtful to Iowa's chances that they scheduled low-major teams in the non-conf instead of mid-majors.
Playing 300+ RPI teams throughout the non-conf kills the RPI and doesn't prove anything to the committee. If you at least go after mid-major schools, you're looking at <200 RPI teams and that's a huge, huge difference.

PU and VT are about as good as most expected, as well. Didn't expect VT to crash this badly, but certainly didn't expect them to compete for an ACC title.

Our non con was deadly weak ... don't think anyone realized how bad that was going to cost us

I think most people knew that Iowa would have to pull some upsets like last year if they were going to finish 20-11 (9-9), see Minnesota and Illinois this year.

Syracuse is in the Maui Invitational (Nov. 25-27) and Texas is in CBE Hall of Fame Classic (Nov. 25-26) while Iowa is in the Great Alaska Shootout (Nov. 27-30) with Alaska-Anchorage, Denver, Harvard, Indiana St, Pepperdine, TCU, and Tulsa.

I found this info here: 2013-14 College Basketball Early Season Tournaments And Events - Blogging the Bracket

And Iowa is the only major conf team to play in except TCU.
The others are: Alaska-Anchorage, Denver, Harvard, Indiana State, Pepperdine and Tulsa.

This shootout used to draw some names, not the case anymore. It will be a fun trip for the team and a tourney they should be the favorites to win.

The others are: Alaska-Anchorage, Denver, Harvard, Indiana State, Pepperdine and Tulsa.

This shootout used to draw some names, not the case anymore. It will be a fun trip for the team and a tourney they should be the favorites to win.

Iowa needs a tournament like UNI played this year. Playing Louisville, Stanford, and Memphis in the Battle for Atlantis. It also included Mizzou, Duke, Minnesota, and VCU.

At least there are a few teams that should hover around the RPI top 100.

Half of them are this year:
Harvard - 81
Denver - 76
Indiana State - 59
Pepperdine - 199
TCU - 228
Tulsa - 133
Alaska (will not matter, not D1)

You are right Spank, Iowa needs more games against these types of teams instead of South Carolina St, Howard, and Coppin State. Iowa has 7 games against teams of an RPI over 200.

I thought Iowa would be 20-11 (9-9) but that wouldn't be enough to get them into the Tourney.That looks pretty much the case.

Thats what I thought too. What I didnt expect is the manner in which they lost these painfully close games. The record is what I thought, but this is a better basketball team than I expected.

I think its down to two scenarios for Iowa to make the tourney. Iowa wins out regular season or Iowa has one loss in last three and wins two games in BTT.

I would think if they win two in the BTT it'd have to be one over Indiana, Michigan or Michigan State. Another win over Wisconsin wouldn't be enough (assuming we don't win at IU.)

We lose at Indiana but get to the title game, we'd probably make it.

If we win out, I think we'd still want to win the first round game to be safe, but I'd think we're in regardless.

Latest posts