so nobody's going to make a thread about the defense?

I didn't see one so I'm gonna have to start it..............the defense was worse today than I can ever remember in the KF era. They looked like a bad high school team trying to tackle and taking bad angles out there. Hopefully it was just bye week rust because they've generally been pretty good this year, with the exception of pass defense vs uni.

They didn't have a good day..but they have plenty of goodwill built up.

I didn't see one so I'm gonna have to start it..............the defense was worse today than I can ever remember in the KF era. They looked like a bad high school team trying to tackle and taking bad angles out there. Hopefully it was just bye week rust because they've generally been pretty good this year, with the exception of pass defense vs uni.

they saw it all on film, but seeing it live was a bitter education. Should bea lot to build on as they face other similar RBs the rest of the season

Today was odd. Iowa bottled up Coleman for the most part outside his three TD runs. They did about everything wrong you can thing of on those plays. Didn't get off the ball fast, did not shed blocks, were out of position, took bad angle, and did not wrap up.

Lowermilk did not have a good game and neither did Alston. King played really well and so did Lomax.

Hopefully this is just one of those weird occasions where some mental errors burned them short term. Iowa has faced some good RB's this year and Coleman was really the only one to put up video game numbers and they were based off 3 plays.

I won't get too down on the defense. They didn't play well overall today but over the course of the season they have played very well.

sQ. Indiana got those signature big plays. But what did you think about your defense’s ability to kind of shrug those off?COACH FERENTZ: I guess it’s thank you. You gave me a positive spin. I can use it tomorrow a little bit because I was looking for one.
But it’s interesting coming into this game. Nobody’s held them to under 200 yards rushing in a game.
I looked at that stat and I just found that kind of hard to believe, with all due respect. But we witnessed it firsthand. They worked us pretty good.
Those three runs that Coleman had were outstanding runs. I said during the week, all their backs are good. And they are, they’re all good, but he’s really good. You get on the field live with a guy and you really find out what he’s like and what he’s all about.
I can’t remember anyone doing that to us, and I’m including us against ourselves in spring practice, August, we’ve had some good backs here, Fred Russell, Shonn Greene, Albert Young. It’s a little scary. We’ll face more good backs. We have to get better stopping that run.

Call me a kook, but I think that Coleman is the best RB in the conference. I have no idea how Illinois or Iowa didn't snag him out of Orland Park. The guy's top gear puts the other RBs in the conference to shame and we lacked discipline on all 3 of his monster runs. The defense had about 5-6 bad plays and we have great film for things to work on and yet we still got the W. That Coleman absolutely punished Mizzou. He is very legit. Gordon had 3 or 4 huge runs against NU last weekend, but he didn't have the top gear to outrun the whole D. Coleman is a special ball player. Instead of bagging on our inexperienced LBs, I'll assume they'll learn from it and I'll congratulate Coleman on his great game.

Jon already said he's gunna ban people for name calling so no chance I'm calling you a kook.

Sure Coleman was terrific but I find it hard to believe the Iowa safeties suddenly and comprehensively forgot how to play. Was Indiana doing something truly innovative elsewhere to freeze Lo and Lo away from the play? I will look for Gamefilm's analysis keenly this week.

Aside: On one of Coleman's TDs, it was weird seeing him approach the endzone after a 50-60 yard run and Lomax (I think) who was in the vicinity continued trailing a receiver...not sure what that was about.

Sure Coleman was terrific but I find it hard to believe the Iowa safeties suddenly and comprehensively forgot how to play. Was Indiana doing something truly innovative elsewhere to freeze Lo and Lo away from the play? I will look for Gamefilm's analysis keenly this week.

Aside: On one of Coleman's TDs, it was weird seeing him approach the endzone after a 50-60 yard run and Lomax (I think) who was in the vicinity continued trailing a receiver...not sure what that was about.

It is possible to just be "off" some days. They clearly were. Hopefully it was a one game thing.

It was Mabin if we are thinking of the same play. But Lomax and Lowdermilk both took horrible angles to the play. Mabin was in man coverage, and the receiver did a good job of selling it. He even extended his arms as if the ball was coming.

It is possible to just be "off" some days. They clearly were. Hopefully it was a one game thing.

It was Mabin if we are thinking of the same play. But Lomax and Lowdermilk both took horrible angles to the play. Mabin was in man coverage, and the receiver did a good job of selling it. He even extended his arms as if the ball was coming.

Hope you are right and it was just an off day, and and not something IU has exposed for others to emulate. And, yes, you identified the play exactly. I laughed when Mabin continued buying whatever it was the receiver was selling.

Hope you are right and it was just an off day, and and not something IU has exposed for others to emulate. And, yes, you identified the play exactly. I laughed when Mabin continued buying whatever it was the receiver was selling.

I remember Morris doing something like that once. The qb was already 20 yards downfield and he was still covering his man. It looks funny when it happens.

Meh, it is what it is. Mabin was on his guy and he was gonna cover him no matter what. Heckuva play by Indiana and great acting job by the receiver. It was better than a block because it took Mabin completely out of the play. Kid's young, but he'll learn. Getting torched like we did today is going to be good for this defense in the long run. Indiana only had one sustained drive and we only face two more good RBs all year.

No excuses from me for the rush defense today, just facts.
On the 1st long (80-some) yard coleman run, LTP was held baaaaad. He was in position to stop the play for no gain but could not get his arms away from his body because he was being held so bad. The official was looking right at it too. Flag would have been thrown if it was a tight game, but the score was 21-0 at that point.
The other 2 long runs were just good offensive execution and poor defensive plays.

Call me a kook, but I think that Coleman is the best RB in the conference..

I said the same on our Friday podcast, don't think Deace agreed. I said he is the most dangerous back in the B1G. He worried me more than Abdullah or Gordon, because of where he runs and the pressure it puts on the back seven, and also the formations that Indiana runs him out of. Wisconsin doesn't run out of a spread and Nebraska doesn't do all that much of that, either. With Indiana, they spread you out, their offensive line spreads are wider and they run out of a lot of 1 back, 3 and 4 WR sets...Danger

I said the same on our Friday podcast, don't think Deace agreed. I said he is the most dangerous back in the B1G. He worried me more than Abdullah or Gordon, because of where he runs and the pressure it puts on the back seven, and also the formations that Indiana runs him out of. Wisconsin doesn't run out of a spread and Nebraska doesn't do all that much of that, either. With Indiana, they spread you out, their offensive line spreads are wider and they run out of a lot of 1 back, 3 and 4 WR sets...Danger

Gordon and Abdullah seem to have a quicker first step; I mentioned last week it seems to take Coleman a few steps to really get going but man when he gets going he is like a freight train with no brakes.

Look Iowa had a few plays with bad gap control and assignments, and then the safeties didnt cover up the front seven errors.

The first game against UNI exposed some pass coverage issues that have mostly been fixed. Now the coaches and players can work on these run breakdowns.

It would also help to have more speed at safety.

Yeah, that's good analysis. The guy's top gear coupled with their offensive formations gives him mismatches and chances to turn on the jets. This game at Maryland is HUUUUUUGE because I think 6-2 may be enough to get us into a tie for the conference title and 7-1 would win it outright if we can hold serve against the lesser teams and then split with Wisconsin and Nebraska and get just a tad bit of help. Don't get me wrong, this team is NOT very good, but based on what I've seen thus far, there is no reason that we couldn't be King **it of Turd Mountain.

Lowdermilk is going to have a long day when they watch film. Hopefully he plays better next week.

As well as the linebackers.......maybe Bowers gets a pass. I realize Meier isn't a LB, but that poor kid seems like he is over his head sometimes.

Latest posts