So McCall can Redshirt?

HawkPrdatr40

Jon mentions that he will Redshirt now. Can someone explain. I thought that he couldn't now that he has been medically cleared? I really doubt he can based on what I've read.

For the second straight week, running back Mika’il McCall did not see action after Kirk Ferentz said he would play. You have to believe the plan would now be for Iowa to redshirt McCall, who suffered an ankle injury in the first quarter of the first game of the season.

Last edited:
I would like this answered too. All we've read is that he can't because cleared to play. Even kf stated he was supposed to play and would play this week. So did something change???

whether McCall can redshirt is one of the great mysteries of this message board......it is about time we have a 1000+ post thread like the infamous Coker thread. Ready...set....go.

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y]Twilight Zone intro. - YouTube[/ame]

I thought if u didnt play 25% of snaps or something in the first 6 games u can still restore maybe it's thenpills talkin but idk

its not a mystery to anyone that a freaking clue about college football. the fact that this misinformation is still even being discussed is absurd.

He may get a medical redshift, but he will have to apply for that after his eligibility is up. Regardless, next year he will be a sophomore.

its not a mystery to anyone that a freaking clue about college football. the fact that this misinformation is still even being discussed is absurd.

Then clue me in there 9YRPLAN with your vast Redshirting knowledge. Wow!! That time of the month for you? Details would be more helpful than the comment above. Unless you have no knowledge and just felt like flaming..

Note: I still question that it's available. Provide facts that convince me otherwise..

Then clue me in there 9YRPLAN with your vast Redshirting knowledge. Wow!! That time of the month for you? Details would be more helpful than the comment above. Unless you have no knowledge and just felt like flaming..

Note: I still question that it's available. Provide facts that convince me otherwise..

try the search function dude. believe what you want, its not my problem.

try the search function dude. believe what you want, its not my problem.

I was hoping you would bring that vast knowledge you claim to have. Guess I was wrong. You can continue your standard practice of bouncing around from thread to thread acting like you know it all, but never adding nothing. :)

YES, he can redshirt.

A special case involves the eligibility of a player who loses the majority of a season to injury. Popularly known as a medical redshirt, a hardship waiver may be granted an athlete who appears in fewer than 30% of his or her team's competitions (with none coming after the midway point of the season), then suffers a season-ending injury. A player who is granted such a waiver is treated for the purposes of their eligibility as though he or she had not competed in that season.

For the record I have googled it and still not quite sure it's that simple. IowaBanker I've read that as well.

I think the issue is that McCall has been Medically cleared. Does that pose a problem?

Last edited:
YES, he can redshirt.

A special case involves the eligibility of a player who loses the majority of a season to injury. Popularly known as a medical redshirt, a hardship waiver may be granted an athlete who appears in fewer than 30% of his or her team's competitions (with none coming after the midway point of the season),THEN SUFFERS A SEASON-ENDING INJURY. A player who is granted such a waiver is treated for the purposes of their eligibility as though he or she had not competed in that season.

But he didn't suffer a season ending injury.

YES, he can redshirt.

A special case involves the eligibility of a player who loses the majority of a season to injury. Popularly known as a medical redshirt, a hardship waiver may be granted an athlete who appears in fewer than 30% of his or her team's competitions (with none coming after the midway point of the season), then suffers a season-ending injury. A player who is granted such a waiver is treated for the purposes of their eligibility as though he or she had not competed in that season.

Dude can you read? "season ending injury"

Inside the Game: What is a redshirt? : Fanblogs College Football Blog

"An extra year of eligibility can also be granted via a "hardship waiver" if a student-athlete suffers an incapacitating injury or illness in the course of a season. The injury must occur during the first half of the season and the student-athlete, in Divisions I and II, must not have participated in more than two contests or 20% of the school's completed contests, whichever is greater."

Latest posts