So Marty Tirrell just posted on twitter...

BaryGarta

That Sunshine gets the start in the bowl game, Rudock to see "some" action. Of course Marty's never been wrong before.....

See, people say us rank amateurs with our stupid opinions can't get anything accomplished:cool:

On a more serious note I hope it happens. Sadly, he is setting CJ up for failure. Give CJ a season behind center and he blasts the Vols. Throw him in there cold? That's awesome coaching. Of course back in August he hinted this year both QBs would get equal chances to earn the job. So it's probably JR in the bowl.

My guess is, CJ approached the coach and told him that the situation was unfair and that he would be transferring after the Bowl game. Kirt realized that he has no real backups for the position and knows he would be screwed next year should anything happen to his bff Jake. CJ (and perhaps some of the offensive coaches) forced Kirt's hand, as he would have never ever in 1,000,000 years made the switch on his own. In fact, at his last two press conferences, he said he hadn't even considered putting CJ in for a single series.

See, people say us rank amateurs with our stupid opinions can't get anything accomplished:cool:

On a more serious note I hope it happens. Sadly, he is setting CJ up for failure. Give CJ a season behind center and he blasts the Vols. Throw him in there cold? That's awesome coaching. Of course back in August he hinted this year both QBs would get equal chances to earn the job. So it's probably JR in the bowl.

So not flaming but I truly understand this mentality at all and more proof that regardless of what KF does he simply can't win. He's giving CJ almost 3 weeks to prepare, if true, how is that throwing him in cold? I simply don't see how that is setting him up to fail.

edit: I should also add that this sort of mentality, IMO, nicely sets up an excuse to blame KF if he under performs or wets the bed. If CJ has the start great for him, but lets have some confidence if he's the QB that many have been saying he is all season long, then he'll be fine on 3 weeks of preparation.

Last edited:
22040396.jpg

So not flaming but I truly understand this mentality at all and more proof that regardless of what KF does he simply can't win. He's giving CJ almost 3 weeks to prepare, if true, how is that throwing him in cold? I simply don't see how that is setting him up to fail.

Really?

Okay. If CJ wins the spot with the comeback against Pitt, he has more time to grow into the roll; bonds with the starters; clicks with certain skill position players; gains more confidence; faces more tough moments on the field and finds solutions; comfort and increased moxy. To put it simply. Would you do better with 8 games as a starter - or with one start way back near the beginning of the season?

Kids need to perform. If they don't, try another kid. It's not ruining their lives if they have bad games and get benched. I've wanted to give cj a chance all year. He got one real shot and was mediocre. I would've tried him against Iowa state or the second half of ball state. The only qb that's been given a chance to fail is Jake. His record this year is 5-5 as a starter. I will not count the pitt game for obvious reason. I find it hard to believe cj starts in the bowl game. However, if he does, it's time to perform. No excuses. I mean what's Kirk afraid of? Losing? Well he lost 5 games to the weakest schedule in football history. Time to take the training wheels off the program. It's year 16.

Hey 22, don't visit the twin thread. It will cause you to have a stroke.

edit: I should also add that this sort of mentality, IMO, nicely sets up an excuse to blame KF if he under performs or wets the bed. If CJ has the start great for him, but lets have some confidence if he's the QB that many have been saying he is all season long, then he'll be fine on 3 weeks of preparation.

You'll forgive those who have problems taking kfootball at his word, these days. Having said that, announcing it now is a bit strange in that it gives the opponent a "heads up." So, I'll take a wait and see approach.

I will say that naming CJ the starter, now, will all but stop the questions. Could be a tactic, could be the truth. We shall see.

Does anyone else find it ironic that Bary Garta started this thread? Gary isn't fooling anyone.

Technically Marty Tirrell started this thread, and as I pointed out, tongue firmly planted in cheek, "of course he's never been wrong before..."

Dude's a click hack, trying to buy ears to his station. Heck, the College Football Talk twitter feed from NBC Sports even wrote a brief article about this, mentioning KF's comments that all positions were up for competition, then posting Tirrell's tweet.

Let's just say I'm not betting my Christmas bonus on Marty being correct here.

When is the last time Tirrell was right when he was the "first" to report something? Cause as far as I know this would be the first time if it comes true... The players are currently just lifting this week. They are not starting up practice again till this weekend. Coaches are all out recruiting. I doubt any 2 deep news has been decided just yet. That Marty is a snake and how he has a job still blows my mind. He should be on the east coast where he's from. All he does is try to stir the pot. I can't stand him.

This has the potential of blowing up in KF face, that is why I will wait to see this before I believe it.. Starting CJ and him going out and doing work would make this staff look completely incompetent..

Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz considers change at QB prior to bowl game

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-to-bowl-game/
I have said the same thing already. Starting CJ means admitting he waz wrong about that position during a bad 7-5 season. If CJ ever starts at QB for Iowa then he "will have earned the job" during camp.

This NBC guy is just filling space because his source is Tyrell. Not a good career move.

I don't know which is worse...

Tyrell being right about CJ starting or

KF being wrong about CJ not starting.

Plus here is what KF said. :"I can't imagine there's too much that we won't evaluate or too much that's not open. AND IT'S BEEN THAT WAY ALL SEASON."

so of all the positions on a team which ones would fall into the "or too much that's not open"?

Latest posts