So let's look at McCaffrey' recruiting

longtimer

Jok I think that was it Took a chance on him and it paid off Most schools backed off after the injury Class grade C- (one good player)
Uhl. Ellingson and Dickerson (JC) Total wasted class D- Maybe F
2015 Hutton Wagner Flemming Williams Moss 3 are gone after never contributing, Wagner should be playing football as he has few basketball skills Moss can be very good and then disappear for games. He is the definition of inconsistent Grade D-
2016 Cook Bohannon Pemsl Kreiner Cook is athletic and can jump out of the Gym. Seems to be improving his shot but still fouls and turns it over by bulling his way to the basketball ( he will be back unless he would rather play in Europe or the minor leagues) Bohannon great 3 point range good court awareness Too slow and unathletic to be a point guard in the Big Ten Not fair to make him one as he could be a fine role player Pemsl slow cant jump well and has no outside shot Kreiner should be at UNI would fit in well there Grade C+ Cook is really the first highly sought player McCaffrey has recruited that didnt have Iowa connections or just want to play for the Hawks
Garza Nunge and walkon-off McCaffrey Slow big guys with some ability but not what this team needed D
Weiskamp Fredricks? Most think Weiskamp is a fine player and will help while most think Fredricks or whoever is the second coming of Ellingson C+ just because Weiskamp looks to be pretty good if not what this team desperately needs

I probably missed some but overall one can see why we are where we are. Fran just cant get the athletes he needs. In 2015 he tried to get athletes with Hutton Wagner and Williams and missed totally

Overall I give Fran a D in recruiting (but i give him an A in courtside entertainment)

2013 - A - when you can take only 1 player and that 1 player was Jok - who lead the B1G in scoring and played on 3 NCAA teams, that's pretty good
2014 - F - no contributions
2015 - F - no contributions
2016 - B - pretty good class - 2 All B1G Frosh players. Moss moves to here. Even Kriener and Dailey look like they will contribute when all said and done.
2017 - B - both of these Freshman look great imo, are out of state players.
2018 - too early to judge but I'd give it an A just on paper. Wieskamp is a top 40 recruit, Connor is top 150 (he moves to this class) and CJ had offers from Indiana and Xavier... Ellingson didn't have those.

Overall a B to B+ considering you have to include Marble, White, Uthoff in the previous years before your cut off. The 14 and 15 seasons are killing this team and really, those are the first 2 years where Fran had complete misses.

2013 - A - when you can take only 1 player and that 1 player was Jok - who lead the B1G in scoring and played on 3 NCAA teams, that's pretty good
2014 - F - no contributions
2015 - F - no contributions
2016 - B - pretty good class - 2 All B1G Frosh players. Moss moves to here. Even Kriener and Dailey look like they will contribute when all said and done.
2017 - B - both of these Freshman look great imo, are out of state players.
2018 - too early to judge but I'd give it an A just on paper. Wieskamp is a top 40 recruit, Connor is top 150 (he moves to this class) and CJ had offers from Indiana and Xavier... Ellingson didn't have those.

Overall a B to B+ considering you have to include Marble, White, Uthoff in the previous years before your cut off. The 14 and 15 seasons are killing this team and really, those are the first 2 years where Fran had complete misses.

I think a B is VERY generous. Marble signed under Lick and Fran didn't recruit Uthoff.

I think a B is VERY generous. Marble signed under Lick and Fran didn't recruit Uthoff.

I know you know this, but even though Marble signed under Lick, Fran had to convince him to stay. So, Fran gets some credit. Here's 2 links:

1) https://allhawkeyes.com/pages/story/details/1030

2. Convinced Devyn Marble to be a Hawkeye again: Todd Lickliter didn’t do much good for the Iowa program, especially as a recruiter. But he thought enough of Devyn Marble to offer him a scholarship and then get him to commit. Lickliter never had the chance to coach Marble, though, because Lickliter was fired in March 2010 after just three seasons on the job. Marble was a high senior at the time, so it was up to McCaffery to convince Marble that Iowa still was his best option. The 6-6 Marble liked McCaffery’s sales pitch and then reaffirmed his commitment to Iowa.

2) http://hawkeyesports.com/news/2010/10/6/Meet_the_Hawkeye_Newcomers_Roy_Devyn_Marble.aspx?print=true

Marble signed a letter of intent to Iowa when Todd Lickliter was Iowa's head coach. After McCaffery was hired March 29, Marble upheld his vow.

"I always wanted to be a Hawkeye when they started recruiting me," Marble said. "I did wait a little bit to see what other schools had to offer, but I always had Iowa No. 1. When coach McCaffery re-recruited me, he didn't have to do too much, but I did want to make sure that my heart was still here. I love coach McCaffery; he's done a lot for me since I've been here. He makes sure I stay in line in school, on the court and he's just a good guy."

"Growing up, his knowledge of this program was obviously very favorable," McCaffery said. "You never know if you're going to have the opportunity to be offered by Iowa and he was, and he grabbed it. It was incumbent upon me to make sure that he developed a comfort-level with me to sustain his commitment, which he did, so I was very thankful for that because we need him. He's going to be an integral part of everything we're doing."

B seems low for a guy who's had 4 straight All B1G selections up til this point.

But 2 of those 4 players he didn't recruit. I think Fran's best attributes are his abilities to run a good offense and he can be good at developing players but recruiting is probably his weakest attribute.

He kept Marble committed to a joke of a program - and keep telling yourself he didn't recruit Uthoff. Unfortunately, I think his recruiting has been one of his better attributes, but his failures in this years senior and junior classes were so bad that I can't give him an A and it drags his letter grade down significantly. His weakest attributes IMO are 1. in game coaching like timeouts, rotations, recognizing when to push buttons and when not to, when to make the right sub etc. 2. Defense.....

recruiting is pretty far down the list, but an easy target in the current state of things.

But 2 of those 4 players he didn't recruit. I think Fran's best attributes are his abilities to run a good offense and he can be good at developing players but recruiting is probably his weakest attribute.

Developing players? Seriously?

He kept Marble committed to a joke of a program - and keep telling yourself he didn't recruit Uthoff. Unfortunately, I think his recruiting has been one of his better attributes, but his failures in this years senior and junior classes were so bad that I can't give him an A and it drags his letter grade down significantly. His weakest attributes IMO are 1. in game coaching like timeouts, rotations, recognizing when to push buttons and when not to, when to make the right sub etc. 2. Defense.....

recruiting is pretty far down the list, but an easy target in the current state of things.

Well he couldn't recruit Uthoff so I'm not going to think that Fran cheated because I don't see him doing that. Also I don't think he had to do too much to keep Marble going off his quotes. "I always wanted to be a Hawkeye when they started recruiting me," Marble said. "I did wait a little bit to see what other schools had to offer, but I always had Iowa No. 1. When coach McCaffery re-recruited me, he didn't have to do too much, but I did want to make sure that my heart was still here.

Well he couldn't recruit Uthoff so I'm not going to think that Fran cheated because I don't see him doing that. Also I don't think he had to do too much to keep Marble going off his quotes. "I always wanted to be a Hawkeye when they started recruiting me," Marble said. "I did wait a little bit to see what other schools had to offer, but I always had Iowa No. 1. When coach McCaffery re-recruited me, he didn't have to do too much, but I did want to make sure that my heart was still here.

No partial credit for Fran on Marble? He even said 'When coach McCaffery re-recruited me'. What percentage? 10%? 20%? Come on, he did something. :)

FM took a gamble by taking Nunge and Garza last year and no guard. It will pay dividends, and Luka will be on All Frosh B1G.
Not having an athletic point and combo is killing this team.
We can’t stay in front of anybody.

When Fran coached at Siena, I thought, man what I would give to have players that could slash, defend, shoot it, pressure you and transition. Very fun to watch.

So what has changed with his recruiting in 8 years? Assistants? The athletic academic expectations/standards at UI?
I know the latter makes things more challenging for coaches at Iowa, and am ok with that.

Really pulling for Fran to turn this around quick, as he is a high quality guy, and despite being a mad Irishman - highly likeable and funny as hell. Go Hawks!

Are you implying Fran broke the rules to get Uthoff? Fran might be a lot of things but I don't think he's a cheater.

I'm not implying that at all, but to say that who the HC was had no impact on it at all is kind of disingenuous.

FM took a gamble by taking Nunge and Garza last year and no guard. It will pay dividends, and Luka will be on All Frosh B1G.
Not having an athletic point and combo is killing this team.
We can’t stay in front of anybody.

When Fran coached at Siena, I thought, man what I would give to have players that could slash, defend, shoot it, pressure you and transition. Very fun to watch.

So what has changed with his recruiting in 8 years? Assistants? The athletic academic expectations/standards at UI?
I know the latter makes things more challenging for coaches at Iowa, and am ok with that.

Really pulling for Fran to turn this around quick, as he is a high quality guy, and despite being a mad Irishman - highly likeable and funny as hell. Go Hawks!
Agree.Want things to work out.Us fans like Fran&Co.

Jok and Utoff were not lightly recruited.

Jok was ranked a 3 star and his next best offer was Drake.

Uthoff was a 3 star borderline 150 kid, he did have some other good offers as Wisconsin is pretty good. But he turned into an All-American. I'd say he developed... and again, 4 straight years of All B1G 1st team performers, you're not gonna convince many that was a coincidence and Fran just got lucky.

I'm not implying that at all, but to say that who the HC was had no impact on it at all is kind of disingenuous.

Fran couldn't recruit Uthoff so I'm not going to say he deserves credit for recruiting him when he wasn't even allowed to. Marble signed under Lickliter and even the pay board guys were saying he was going to stay committed regardless of who we brought in to replace Lickliter.

Latest posts