So let's get this out of the way early....

When did I ever say I thought iowa would get someone better? You don’t lower your standards because of risk. I’m well aware iowa could get someone worst. But Fran has had his time and shouldn’t be a forever coach unless noteable wins happen when it really matters.

I’m not really crazy about keeping the same leadership in place for over a decade unless the guy is an untouchable. And with Frans big ten tournament and NCAA tournament record, he is not untouchable.

I don’t think it’s realistic you can fire him next year if a poor season happens. But a real AD would put some pressure on him to show progress beyond regular season results. Possibly forcing him to let go assistance and give up control on who they’re replaced by.

Now of course Barta wouldn’t do this. While I’m opposed to firing either Kirk or Fran, barta can absolutely kick rocks.

Let’s refrain from the name calling when someone doesn’t pad you on the back for your super interesting never wrong opinions.
It could be argued, despite the nice things Fran has done at Iowa, he is still a dime a dozen coach. Average to better than average. Far from the worse, but also far from the best.

Again, an NCAA run would give him the street cred he is missing. Fair or unfair, the NCAAs are the measuring stick. Maybe not for Barta....but most other competitive and big time places it is.

We just need to do better due diligence. Imagine if we had done due diligence and realized that Brad Stephens was the secret sauce. We'd have three nattys by now.

Truly was a Mortal Sin

YARN | if he actually goes through with it, that's a mortal sin. | It's  Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005) - S14E08 Paddy's Has a Jumper | Video  gifs by quotes | 3a44cf2b | 紗

Condemned to HELL forever, Jack

I see the differences of opinions on this. You see it all over the country every year how some programs have no problem changing out coaches frequently. Iowa be it Barta or Bowlsby would prefer to not have to do that. The line in the sand is different for everyone. 10 plus yrs seems like a lifetime in coaching anymore.

Once you inch over that lots of fan bases will be split on what they think about their coach. Especially if there isn't much post season success. Now look at how much heat UNCs Davis must be getting with the extremes of winning it all and now not even in the dance (with 4 of 5 starters back) How is that to be reconciled?

I'm good with Fran. There's no controversies with him. He recruits the right way. He develops players and they all love him even the ones that transfer out due to personal circumstances don't have a bad word to say about him. He turned this program around from the dumpster fire it was and has kept it respectable. If the worst thing about him is he gets fired up at the refs 3 times a yr and can't get to the sweet 16 then ok it is what it is. People realize that only 16 teams make it to that round every yr right?....

Me Like

Apparently, I am not the only one

Mikey Likes It Stallone GIF - Mikey Likes It Stallone Rambo - Discover &  Share GIFs

:cool:

I can't speak to the exact breakdown, but I think just as many posters on this thread agree with you as don't.

Look, I can handle the take that Fran has peaked and some fans are willing to roll the dice and hope we land the next basketball genius coach. I disagree with it and think it is a bad bet, but I at least get the take. What I don't get is folks (like the OP who should be banned) bagging on Fran, canonizing Mr. Davis, and otherwise skewing the facts to make Fran appear to be a worse coach than he is. Fran is a very good MBB coach. His record speaks for itself. He is probably in the Top 20% of coaches out there, which means there are a whole lot of guys to hire that would be worse than better.

People are really taking for granted how good Iowa fans have it right now. In the last 10 years we have had almost no really bad seasons, and have had some marginal conference and national successes, in the two men's major sports; our wrestling and women's BB programs are national contenders that draw crowds and support well above the rest of their sports; and even the baseball team has made some noise the last few years. Be proud and have some perspective. The vast majority of fans out there would kill to have Iowa's success.

People are really taking for granted how good Iowa fans have it right now. In the last 10 years we have had almost no really bad seasons, and have had some marginal conference and national successes, in the two men's major sports; our wrestling and women's BB programs are national contenders that draw crowds and support well above the rest of their sports; and even the baseball team has made some noise the last few years. Be proud and have some perspective. The vast majority of fans out there would kill to have Iowa's success.

Last edited:
I agree with this analysis and trendline, but its hard for me to look at the squad next season (assuming Kris goes, and he will) and think this team won't take a step back for a season. Absent a big addition in the portal in the post, I think we will be too young and raw in the front court to be in the top half of the conference. Hope I am wrong. But even if we take a step back for a year, the incoming talent is really good and should set Iowa up for the next several years.

I have a good feeling about next year's team

I do believe that with the incoming recruits, we will be the surprise of the BIG

Deep into the season, when the recruits have adjusted to Fran's system

We just might be the team that nobody wants to play

Of course, on the other hand, we might be fighting for first place in the basement also

We shall see, I am a bit pumped for next season, win or lose tomorrow

Tough draw, but if the Hawks are nailing the threes, We Win

After the lackluster games the past two Tournament games, we are due for a Solid Game

I has Hope, wouldn't be a fan otherwise

It's All Good

1678929994592.png

Well yeah, I just meant the path to playing time which is what opens the opportunity to play and examples of what it takes to come out the other end are on display for Fran to sell. Bowen, much like AU and TP, didn't contribute a lot their freshman seasons.

Personally - I love Ulis. He's the kind of guy Iowa needs when we have so many scoring options. We don't need him to score, we just need him to be a threat to and I think he's at least that. IMO, he's had a better Jr. season then Joe Toussaint and has more upside for a better Sr. season then Joe Toussaint. I also got the feeling that while Fran didn't push Joe out, he wasn't considered to a big loss or a big piece of Iowa's future. That writing was on the wall after his Jr. year.

IMO, I don't think Fran looks at AU like he did Joe. I think AU is a huge part of this year and next years plans and unlike Joe being passed by TP and AU, I don't see Bowen passing either any time soon.

Personally - I love Ulis. He's the kind of guy Iowa needs when we have so many scoring options. We don't need him to score, we just need him to be a threat to and I think he's at least that. IMO, he's had a better Jr. season then Joe Toussaint and has more upside for a better Sr. season then Joe Toussaint. I also got the feeling that while Fran didn't push Joe out, he wasn't considered to a big loss or a big piece of Iowa's future. That writing was on the wall after his Jr. year.

Hey let's pump the moral of this thread up with this fantastic read:

From the body of the article

Caitlin is more than likely coming back for a Covid Year

When, exactly, Clark enters the draft remains to be seen; she could stay at Iowa for a fifth season because of the NCAA’s coronavirus eligibility guidelines. While she won’t need to make a decision for at least a year, the NCAA’s new name, image and likeness rules, which allow athletes to earn endorsement income, could play in Iowa’s favor. Clark, a marketing major with a 3.88 grade-point average and dreams of working as a front-office executive in pro sports, already has struck lucrative deals with Nike and the Hy-Vee supermarket chain.
“It will be very difficult,” said Clark, who is “50-50” on whether to stay for a fifth season. “I love this place. You’re playing in front of a lot of people, doing it in your home state, doing it with your friends. Turning pro, you’re traveling all the time, you’re only playing three months a year, you’re moving to a whole new city where you probably don’t know anybody. NIL definitely makes it more of an incentive to come back, in a way. It adds another pro on the pros and cons list.”

Certainly something to look forward to, watching Caitlin made this a very nice Winter despite all

Last edited:
It could be argued, despite the nice things Fran has done at Iowa, he is still a dime a dozen coach. Average to better than average. Far from the worse, but also far from the best.

Again, an NCAA run would give him the street cred he is missing. Fair or unfair, the NCAAs are the measuring stick. Maybe not for Barta....but most other competitive and big time places it is.
As easy as it is to hate Steve Alford the guy did make it to a sweet 16 everywhere about except iowa.

I gotta believe Fran will get one too, but he has always proven to be more of a coach that prepares his team well for scheme for overall season or player development . When it comes to game to game strategies or adjustments there’s not much there. And I think this is what hurts his tournament record more than the common complaint about guard play.

I’d be thrilled to see Fran catch some breaks and make it happen in a year when it’s unexpected.

As easy as it is to hate Steve Alford the guy did make it to a sweet 16 everywhere about except iowa.

I gotta believe Fran will get one too, but he has always proven to be more of a coach that prepares his team well for scheme for overall season or player development . When it comes to game to game strategies or adjustments there’s not much there. And I think this is what hurts his tournament record more than the common complaint about guard play.

I’d be thrilled to see Fran catch some breaks and make it happen in a year when it’s unexpected.
Even Lackluster (just like Alfraud except Iowa) has taken a team farther than Fran......hard to believe.....ok more like Brad Stephens.

He made it to Sweet 16s at SE Missouri and UCLA (that's a pretty low water mark for UCLA). Did not make it at Iowa, New Mexico or Nevada. So you're batting .400.

From the body of the article

Caitlin is more than likely coming back for a Covid Year

When, exactly, Clark enters the draft remains to be seen; she could stay at Iowa for a fifth season because of the NCAA’s coronavirus eligibility guidelines. While she won’t need to make a decision for at least a year, the NCAA’s new name, image and likeness rules, which allow athletes to earn endorsement income, could play in Iowa’s favor. Clark, a marketing major with a 3.88 grade-point average and dreams of working as a front-office executive in pro sports, already has struck lucrative deals with Nike and the Hy-Vee supermarket chain.
“It will be very difficult,” said Clark, who is “50-50” on whether to stay for a fifth season. “I love this place. You’re playing in front of a lot of people, doing it in your home state, doing it with your friends. Turning pro, you’re traveling all the time, you’re only playing three months a year, you’re moving to a whole new city where you probably don’t know anybody. NIL definitely makes it more of an incentive to come back, in a way. It adds another pro on the pros and cons list.”

Certainly something to look forward to, watching Caitlin made this a very nice Winter despite all
There isn't one WNBA arena/game environment that would even remotely touch what CHA has been this yr and will be going forward with her. She's a rock star an absolute rock star. And I'm sure she's aware that when she goes to the WNBA that'll change drastically. There's no putting an NIL evaluation on what that's worth. The hype and electricity that's involved for going into this seasons games has been off the charts. WNBA won't be anything like it.

Not to mention the chemistry of the team is off the charts great. I don't think there's any faking what they have. They all genuinely enjoy playing with each other and it shows. Sometimes with a star like Clark (and NIL) you could see the jealousy meter turn on for some but I haven't seen it. Credit coach Bluder all the players and Clark herself for that.

If I'm her I'd milk her time at Iowa for all it's worth cause it'll be the best time of her life. Whether it is the most profitable or not (which it very well might) it'll definitely be the most fun.

Last edited:
I have a good feeling about next year's team

I do believe that with the incoming recruits, we will be the surprise of the BIG

Deep into the season, when the recruits have adjusted to Fran's system

We just might be the team that nobody wants to play

Of course, on the other hand, we might be fighting for first place in the basement also

We shall see, I am a bit pumped for next season, win or lose tomorrow

Tough draw, but if the Hawks are nailing the threes, We Win

After the lackluster games the past two Tournament games, we are due for a Solid Game

I has Hope, wouldn't be a fan otherwise

It's All Good

View attachment 9961
Sandfort could replace Murray's scoring and boards. He will replace a lot of Conners assists

PM is unusually quick to his right. He can't shoot over people. He doest move left.

Ullis and Perkins are pretty good. Flip the undersized banger is a tough replace without a transfer. A 6 10 banger please.

Dix...just don't see it. Nor any of the other non factors this year

Fran runs a gimmick game...anti Ferentz. He gives up perimeter D to set up the break. He gives up some boards for the same reason. He figures layups or 2 on 1 gives greater odds. The half court game is bottom tier at best. Grinnell lite

I don't expect a fall off. Except they were awfully close to 12th place and 2nd place. I don't expect much change in the Big.

Get twin decent bangers or one really good one and a high upper finish could happen.

Recruiting: Fran does pretty good job but look at ISU's recruits the last two years. I think they have them rated as a top 5 group this year

Sandfort could replace Murray's scoring and boards. He will replace a lot of Conners assists

PM is unusually quick to his right. He can't shoot over people. He doest move left.

Ullis and Perkins are pretty good. Flip the undersized banger is a tough replace without a transfer. A 6 10 banger please.

Dix...just don't see it. Nor any of the other non factors this year

Fran runs a gimmick game...anti Ferentz. He gives up perimeter D to set up the break. He gives up some boards for the same reason. He figures layups or 2 on 1 gives greater odds. The half court game is bottom tier at best. Grinnell lite

I don't expect a fall off. Except they were awfully close to 12th place and 2nd place. I don't expect much change in the Big.

Get twin decent bangers or one really good one and a high upper finish could happen.
I think you're wrong on Dix. He's looked good to me this year and he'll have the offseason to improve, unlike last year.

You don’t lower your standards because of risk.
1) Your idea of Iowa’s standards are apparently not based in reality. Iowa’s standards are not blue blood standards. If they were, we’d be a blue blood. Your suggesting the EXACT same way of doing things that got nebraska football into an eternal dumpster fire.

2) Risk is 100% relative to the context of a situation. If you have Todd Lickliter ruining your team after 8 years of a dick bag coach you make a 5,000 to 1 bet because it can’t get worse. Fran is, for reasons I’ve stated above, not anywhere near that—and in fact he outperforms his peers and his players love him. You don’t fire that guy and make a bet like that.

The problem is simple. You think Iowa is something it isn’t.

He has good point guards. It's the system.
Connor has done a nice job at point. I like his game.. that being said opposing teams do not have to worry about him. Most teams will let him shoot the 3 and he is zero threat to take you off the dribble. Perky has shown signs of greatness but he is not consistent. I think we can do better.

Now that Connor is finished with his basketball career, maybe Fran can add him to his staff and create the 2nd legacy of Father/Son coaches at Iowa. It’s all we can get and shouldn’t hope for any better. Mediocrity is great.