So is no news on Brust

tweeterhawk

... good or bad?

My first thought was bad. Have to assume Caff let him know during their last visit the train was leaving the station and he needed to decide whether he was on it.

Ben appears to still be leaving his options open. As Stormin posts in another thread, he likely will get some notice this weekend in the HS Academic All-American game.

Sounds like he really wants to be a cheesehead! Time to move on and find a guy who wants to be a Hawk!!! I'd prefer Wilkens!

Sounds like he really wants to be a cheesehead! Time to move on and find a guy who wants to be a Hawk!!! I'd prefer Wilkens!
The problem is he can't get the BB schollie at Wisconsin. That's not a possibility. They'll have to do some sort of non-sports way to get him on campus in Madison - there are options, but none are easy... either in execution or on the wallet.

The problem is he can't get the BB schollie at Wisconsin. That's not a possibility. They'll have to do some sort of non-sports way to get him on campus in Madison - there are options, but none are easy... either in execution or on the wallet.

Stormin, are you hearing anything about whether Brust is still a high priority for this staff or are they moving on?

I surely hope Fran has moved on and is not wasing anymore of his precious time on him. And there is absolutely no basis for the faculty reps to overrule the Big 10 rule in this situation. This case is an exactl example of why the rule was implemented and if it needs changing, then do it thru the normal Big 10 legislative process. There is nothing special about the Brust situation unless they have a lot of money.

I was at the boone/story county I-Club banquete last night and Dolph made a few statements regarding Fran and the Basketball program. Dolph said McCaffery wants kids that want to be Hawkeyes and that Fran is out to get recuits that are better than those who bailed on their commitments. Everyone needs to lets the "Brust" topic go and let Fran do is job...and from what we all see and here, he is doing it well

Go Hawks

I was at the boone/story county I-Club banquete last night and Dolph made a few statements regarding Fran and the Basketball program. Dolph said McCaffery wants kids that want to be Hawkeyes and that Fran is out to get recuits that are better than those who bailed on their commitments. Everyone needs to lets the "Brust" topic go and let Fran do is job...and from what we all see and here, he is doing it well

Go Hawks

Spot on! I am 50/50 on Brust and think we might really be better suited to get a guy like Wilkens and try to get an establish Juco PG.

I am not sure what Brust can do that May can't?

I know we don't have many guys that can break someone down off the dribble and would rather see him target those types of players. I am also hopefull Marble is that guy....

Fran has done what he needed to do with Brust.... at this point I think Iowa is moving on. No need to pull the offer as you just never know what will happen. I think Fran is working to use that offer on someone else... if it's gone when Brust comes to get it then thats on him.

good luck Ben... the window is closing.

Yea, I think Fran has played it correctly....make a legit effort to retain him, and now move on as Ben has clearly decided to test the waters elsewhere...hopefully both sides were honest, which is only fair.

Ben can go to Boston College or maybe Cal...good schools.

What I don't want to see is Brust having Iowa has a fallback after he can't go to Wisky, then transferring out in a year or two to another school. It's best for Iowa to grab someone else at that point.

I haven't heard anything for the past few days on this situation, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

What I don't want to see is Brust having Iowa has a fallback after he can't go to Wisky, then transferring out in a year or two to another school. It's best for Iowa to grab someone else at that point.

I haven't heard anything for the past few days on this situation, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

These are my thoughts exactly. If his heart is in Wisconsin at this point, then let's move on. I just can't tell if the writer is speculating that UW is his #1 choice, or if it is fact. I'm starting to lean towards the opinion of most and thinking let's move on with someone else.

Go Hawks

hey hwy30...I'm in Ames and was at the boone/story I-Club last night also. was talking to Dolph before the program started about the clones hire and lets just stay he had me in stitches.

where along 30 are ya?

I understand this is big time college basketball and all that entails, and I think Coach has no choice but to move on and find better players who want to play basketball at the University of Iowa.

However, the Big 10 has a rule in place for just these situations and for several good reasons. If Wisky is making entreaties to Brust and appealing the denial of the waiver, Bo Ryan is an even bigger vulture and jerk than I had imagined. I never bought the "good-guy" image. If that was the case, he would have stepped back from Brust and told him thanks but no thanks.

I wish all of the former players and recruits well in their personal lives. But if any of them end up playing against the Hawkeyes, I will wish them the worst nights of their playing careers and being a member of a team that leaves the game with a big fat "L."

This all comes down to whether you believe the rule is valuable or not, to protect against intra-conference poaching.

If you do, then Wisconsin's waiver request cannot be approved or the rule is meaningless.

What's tricky is that now (based on a point in the linked article) we could be deemed the bad guys just for continuing to recruit Ben. And that doesn't sit right with me. We've bent over backwards for him, do we now need to bend forwards and every other direction? If I'm Barta I draw the line here. Tough luck Wisconsin and Ben Brust, it's time to protect Iowa's interests. Ben still has 100's of schools to choose from, good luck and godspeed.

EVEN IF Fran says today "we are no longer recruiting Ben Brust", that faculty committee needs to say "sorry, we see what's going on here". And not only deny the waiver, but reprimand Bo Ryan and others for offering the kid a scholarship and campus visits before any waiver was granted.

If that's not poaching, under_this_rule, then what is?

(if you think it's a bad rule, none of the above is relevant of course)

This all comes down to whether you believe the rule is valuable or not, to protect against intra-conference poaching.

If you do, then Wisconsin's waiver request cannot be approved or the rule is meaningless.

What's tricky is that now (based on a point in the linked article) we could be deemed the bad guys just for continuing to recruit Ben. And that doesn't sit right with me. We've bent over backwards for him, do we now need to bend forwards and every other direction? If I'm Barta I draw the line here. Tough luck Wisconsin and Ben Brust, it's time to protect Iowa's interests. Ben still has 100's of schools to choose from, good luck and godspeed.

EVEN IF Fran says today "we are no longer recruiting Ben Brust", that faculty committee needs to say "sorry, we see what's going on here". And not only deny the waiver, but reprimand Bo Ryan and others for offering the kid a scholarship and campus visits before any waiver was granted.

If that's not poaching, under_this_rule, then what is?

(if you think it's a bad rule, none of the above is relevant of course)

+1,000

Latest posts