So if Fran bails who's on shortlist?

I agree. You make the call. But I would put the odds of him coming here as a long, long shot.

He's turned down other P5s, including Oregon and Arizona, two schools that he told people earlier in his career were dream jobs.

Oh I absolutely agree the odds are very low. However shooting for the stars against the odds is really the only way to change your fate. Either way I doubt an attempt to swoon Few away from Gonzaga would hinder or hurt the fallback coaching search. Why not swing for the fence with at least 1 coach who is out of our league every coaching search? Practicality is the enemy of winning.

Oh I absolutely agree the odds are very low. However shooting for the stars against the odds is really the only way to change your fate. Either way I doubt an attempt to swoon Few away from Gonzaga would hinder or hurt the fallback coaching search. Why not swing for the fence with at least 1 coach who is out of our league every coaching search? Practicality is the enemy of winning.

Agreed.

Lickliter and McCaffery were not the top choices the last two times. Neither was Ferentz.

I agree. UCLA went after Calipari. With zero chance of getting him. (Especially when they offered less then what hes currently getting) If theres a big name that might fit at least kick the tires. Make em say no. No harm in that.

If you're going to swing for the fences on one coach... maybe Donovan or Stevens are getting tired of the NBA.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gregg Marshall. And if we're going to shoot for the moon, I'd go for Dana Altman. Sounds crazy, but we could pay up and turn this into a basketball first school.

The next tier I'd definitely put Jans, Musselman, and Steve Forbes in that order.

Caveat, I'm with Barta and his dumb contracts on this one. I think we should pay up for Fran because I think he can take us to the promised land next season.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gregg Marshall. And if we're going to shoot for the moon, I'd go for Dana Altman. Sounds crazy, but we could pay up and turn this into a basketball first school.

The next tier I'd definitely put Jans, Musselman, and Steve Forbes in that order.

Caveat, I'm with Barta and his dumb contracts on this one. I think we should pay up for Fran because I think he can take us to the promised land next season.
I thought Wisconsin would make a serious play for Marshall when Bo Ryan stepped down. But Alvarez was quoted in the Madison papers as saying he was impressed with Gard by the end of that first interim season.

If you're going to swing for the fences on one coach... maybe Donovan or Stevens are getting tired of the NBA.

Those are big swings no doubt, but with Iowa's morality clause I'm not confident that anyone is more capable of success here than Mark Few.

Whoa Nelly! I understand optimism, but that statement contradicts objective reasoning.

What's Thad Matta up to these days? He done, or ready to get back into coaching? Not sure if he was necessarily the best game coach, but he could really bring in some players.

What's Thad Matta up to these days? He done, or ready to get back into coaching? Not sure if he was necessarily the best game coach, but he could really bring in some players.

He was a great recruiter with all those OSU "extra" sales pitches. Can he do it without Nike employee's assisting?

Tom Kakert mentioned Thad Matta on his short list of potential next coaches on their most recent podcast. I wouldn't mind that hire. He has P5 experience which would be a positive for me.

That being said I don't see Fran going anyplace right now.

How about BJ Armstrong? He wanted the job 9 years ago per Bobby Hanson. I bet he could recruit guards and then find an Xs and Os assistant coach.
I like that but isn't he an agent now? Probably makes more money as an agent than he would as a coach.

Ryan Bowen or Nick Nurse are other NBA names that would interest me.

Jeff Hornacek ...

giphy.gif

Latest posts