So....How Good is Michigan?

Michigan has played one decent team thus far this season (MSU) and lost. So they have yet to be tested much, I think we need to contain DB and take our chances. Our best strategy would be to contain DB and not worry about pressuring him, shouldn't be hard as we can't get pressure anyway. But if we don't stop the run it won't matter.. Must stop the run to win the game. Oh and make field goals too.. Minor detail, at least it was last week.
Who is DB?

As we know the better team does not always win. Like Iowa beatng PSU in 08 or Minny beating us 2 years in a row. All it takes is some luck, or a misfortunate turn of events. See JVB's fumble, onside kick, and 2 missed fg to find out what it will take for Iowa to win. However if JVB does not learn to see the outside blind side rusher, we are in trouble.

My prediction is we play to lose on defense late in the game, zone coverage and denard runs for multiple first downs on 3rd and long running to the wide side of the field. (The whole time we will not blitz) Shoe laces will score the game winner with 1:55 on the clock.

We will go 5 wide for the first time all game and get sacked 2 times, both by blind side corner blitzes that are poorly disguised and should be caught for protection...but aren't..again. We will run some hook routes against the blitz instead of slants and we go no where again.

Riots ensue in Iowa City following the game....I think that about covers it.

I hope I'm wrong but I have witnessed this debacle too many times lately.

Here's something everybody loves, a math story problem: how much (rhymes with "schmack schmo-schmaine) does one have to consume in what period of time to honestly pick a 61-9 home loss by Iowa to anyone other than an all-star amalgum of 2005 Texas, 2001 Miami, and the 1985 Bears (Ditka included).

I can conceivably see Michigan winning something like 42-13--MAXIMUM. Personally, I think it'll be a good down-to-the wire game as Ferentz-coached teams typically rebound well from their befuddling losses. That aside, though, something around a 30-point loss is reasonable.

61-9, even for a historic juggernaut like one of the teams I mentioned above facing a total patsy, takes such a raucous succession of game events that it is not a plausible prediction. Can it happen? Yes, anything can. But to repeatedly back it as your actual prediction should be nothing but hyperbole.

yep, so point is, michigan is good enough to beat us if we play like that so i wouldnt even worry about how good they are, unless we play well, loss.

i don't believe we will see it, but how about an every-down A.J. Derby spy on Robinson? Derby just may be athletic enough to make some plays.

Probably at least as good as MN................conservative guess.

Nothing against this train of thought and not hyping up Minnesota at all but everyone on here tend to forget that Gray was out of the line up that day and I'm sure that might have had a little to do with the score differential and how dominant the the michigan defense was that day.

Not saying that we're a better team than Michigan or that their defense hasn't improved since last year, but were throwing their performance against Minnesota like they're world beaters. Let's not forget it was a win against Minnesota, given they beat us, but definitely I think their performance against MSU says more about who they really are than their performance against Minnesota. IMO they're just as consistent as we are.

Nothing against this train of thought and not hyping up Minnesota at all but everyone on here tend to forget that Gray was out of the line up that day and I'm sure that might have had a little to do with the score differential and how dominant the the michigan defense was that day.

Not saying that we're a better team than Michigan or that their defense hasn't improved since last year, but were throwing their performance against Minnesota like they're world beaters. Let's not forget it was a win against Minnesota, given they beat us, but definitely I think their performance against MSU says more about who they really are than their performance against Minnesota. IMO they're just as consistent as we are.

I was kinda knocking OUR performance against MN, more than Michigan's against MN.... Anybody can beat us if things aren't rolling the right way.

(Disclaimer): This isn't a fire Ferenz/we're too conservative/always play down to the level of the competition/panic/fly off the handle/jump over the edge post. We have issues plain and simple. Plenty of folks have pointed them out. I think we'll win though.

Last edited:

Latest posts