So how big of a stadium could we fill?

The stadium also underwent major renovations in 1956, 1983 and 1990 where capacity was gradually taken from 53,000 to 70,397. The most recent renovations in 2004–06 pushed the capacity to its current level at 70,585.
Home for the Iowa football team is Kinnick Stadium, one of the 15 largest college-owned stadiums in the nation. One of college football's finest facilities, Kinnick Stadium is routinely filled on Saturdays each fall. The Hawkeyes played before a record 58 straight home sellouts during the Hayden Fry Era.
Iowa draws sellout crowds for a majority of all home games, including all 25 home games in the last four years and 30 straight games over the past five seasons
The Hawkeyes annually rank among the top 25 schools in the nation in home attendance.
Going into the 2009 season Iowa had 30 straight home sell outs, Iowa has sold out every game at home since it became 70 585

Perhaps some very important background details would be useful in projections about future stadium expansion.

First, we should keep in mind that while the University owns Kinnick Stadium, it doesn't own the land on which the stadium is situated. The land belongs to the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics. Meaning that the future of Kinnick depends on what decisions UIHC makes in the future about where & when it expands its physical plant.

UIHC is already the largest teaching hospital in the world--and it is growing at an accelerating pace. Most of the open spaces within the current UIHC campus have been used for new facilities in the past decade or are scheduled for utilitization in current construction or that scheduled soon. It is fast running out of room--and while the next stage of renovation & expansion has UIHC going up more than out, more vertical building than horizontal...nonetheless over the next decade (the one beginning in 2016) UIHC is going to have to find sites for probably twenty or more new buildings.

To the North, UIHC is bordered by the Veterans Hospital, Dental School, Carver-Hawkeye, McDonald House, Hiway 6, the CRANDIC tracks--not any desirable options there. Nonetheless the lack of space to expand already has led to the building of the new Public Health building on the other side of hiway 6 & the CRANDIC tracks, accessible only by a pedestrian walkway.

To the East are the dorms (with two new towers planned to replace the Quad), the Fieldhouse, the Law School, and a formidable barrier called the Iowa River.

Expansion south might be more feasible: UIHC could use eminent domain to acquire the private homes south of Melrose Avenue--which wouod be complicated, a lot of litigation, costly...and both less convenient and less necessary.

Less necessary because to the West of Elliott Drive is UIHC-owned land that it is not yet built upon, except for a single parking facility. Land that includes Kinnick, the bubble, the baseball field that are currently leased to the athletic department.

Second, the question of replacing Kinnick with a larger stadium already has been confronted, with a fairly long-term but temporary solution. About 15 years ago when UIHC was contemplatint an expansiosn plan & timetable. it considered terminating the lease & forcing the athletic department to move more of its facilities out beyond Mormon Trek.

The planning for such a move went so far as to the drawing up of no fewer than seven plans for a new Kinnick, at several sites but primarily in the area west of Mormon Trek & east of Melrose. The plans still exist, kept in the files of the U's architectural offices. The scope of the new stadium in the different proposals varied from 75,000 to 100,000 seating.

Eventually, the U and UIHC were able to reach agreement that extends the lease on the current Kinnick site until about 2025. While Bowlsby is long gone, and the prospect that Kinnick would have been marked for demolition is not something anyone is going to chat about offhandedly now--there are indications that it was seriously considered. The key question was whether or not Kinnick--in need of major structural repairs & upgrading--could be renovated at a reasonable cost in a way that would meet future needs and be satisfactory to the football program and the Hawkeye fan base. Once the structural reports, etc were favorable, the athletic dept and university administrators turned attention to getting an agreement with UIHC on an extension of the lease. They were able to accomplish their puspose mostly because the master plan that was taking shape for UIHC had am initial stage providing new research facilities & med school building toward the southeast corner, a cancer treatment center as an extension of the familty care center at Melrose & Elliott, then a second stage (now underway) to rebuild Boyd Tower, renovate & enlarge the main hospital, then toward the close of the expansion in 2016 the rebuilding & expansion of the three major pavilions for patient care. Effectively, this delayed the need to expand across Elliott to the site where Kinnick stands for twenty years or more.

Two conclusions seem obvious from this history:

One, eventually there will be a new Kinnick out past Mormon Trek, neighboring the new Field Hockey, Soccer facilities, new Athletic Admin Bldg--and the valiant efforts to save Kinnick from demolition to make way for new medical facilities, including those for a school of medical engineering, will not be enough.

Two, there probably won't be an expansion of stadium capacity until the new stadium is built. The question of expanding Kinnick once again was taken up ten years ago, but the engineering problems indicated that the costs of building Kinnick higher, fully enclosing the ends with much more higher seating added, etc really involved a Hobson's choice: on the one hand, projections showed that future demand would more than match increasing capacity to 80,000, but they would be 80,000 lesss comfortable seats with less adequate support facilities. In the end, Iowa opted to significantly upgrade the quality & the comfort of its fans rather than increase the capacity of the stadium (the cynic in me wants to say this rested on the presumption that they could more than offset the shortfall of cash from fewer seats by raising the price of the 70,000 seats being kept).

I assume that when the time comes that the plans are drawn up for the new Kinnick that it will be for 100,000 capacity or more--plus luxury boxes, numerous topflight bar lounges, etc, etc. But that is so far down the line a better assumption is no assumption at all.

Last edited:
I dont think they would ever consider increasing capacity, nor should they, until they encounter this problem for at least 10 years in a row...and even then, it's debatable. I think its about right where it is.

I agree 100%.

It would be stupid to make expansion plans based on one season.

I think they should build a platform that rings the entire stadium and have standers. I might be in the minority but I like to stand the ENTIRE game.

I like to stand the ENTIRE game too! I can't stand sitting during a game. About the only time I sit is halftime. Fortunately, the people around me seem to like standing (or don't feel they have a choice if they want to see over me:))

I sure hope with all the demand for tickets, that the people that show up this year can get into the games instead of sitting and acting like they're tranquilized!

tiggerhawk,

I thought the main reason they were going to build the new $73 million outpaitent clinc in Coralville was to free up a ton of space at the main UIHC Campus?

UIHC OUTPATIENT CLINIC IN CORALVILLE | Iowa City Blog

The key word here is "outpatient".

The new facility is sort of the in principle the same, in fact different category. In purpose, if not scope, it will be comparable to other outpatient clinics like the one on Scott Bvld. But the scale is vastly enlarged as is obvious from the price tag.

Its primary impact on UIHC operations will be on the Family Care Center and on the Ermergency facilities, especially the latter. Like the Scott Bvld clinic, the Coralville facility will handle the bulk of general medicine visits after 5 PM. And likely a great share of local traffic that now goes to the current Family Center facilities will be redirected to Coralville.

But these changes will not have much impact on future expansion (that which will be planned beyond the current $1.1 billion renovation & expansion project--scheduled to be completed in 2016). I'm no party to UIHC planning, I can only conjecture--but I anticipate two changes will follow from the completion of the Coralville facility. First, many of the clinics--immunology, rheumatoic arthritis, diabetes, etc--were moved to the new Cancer Care Center adjoining the Family Care Center, moved from the north section of the main hospital & Boyd Tower while those are being renovated and expanded. My guess is that they will be moved back: the space they occupy is intended for much expanded cancer treatment facilities. The family car center is too crowded, and the prestigious vision & hearing programs (who are the near-certain recipients of hugely increased federal & other grants & contracts) could benefit temporarily from the shift of family care volume to the Coralville facility, but there is little question that they will need and get their own spacious, state of the art facilities..somewhere on a health campus running out of space. So, too, there is a future prospect of the construction of a Sports Medicine building or complex (which already has regents' approval) to shoe-horn iin. And there is a clear indication from the renovation of the existing in-patient care pavilions: the unavoidable meaning of replacing present rooms with more upscale, SINGLE patient rooms is that demand for in-patient care facilities will require space beyond the current pavilions.

IMO this indicates that UIHC long ago has factored the Coralville facility into its planning on how to contend with the dilemma of too little space available for the vast expansion of its care & research missions. Doubt that it will affect the planning for future expansion options to any real extent.

But this is an uninformed opinion, just guesswork based on the past choices and what is known about future prospects.

However I will disagree that the difference between 80,000 and 100,000 is great. I've been to Camp Randall (Roughly 85,000) and The Shoe (Roughly 105,000), there is a night and day difference. The amount of people at a game in Columbus is simply mind boggling.

It's more about stadium design than raw numbers. I've been down on the field for games at Michigan, OSU and Kinnick. The Shoe's steep profile, double-decks and fully-enclosed endzone concentrate the crowd sound unbelievably. Michigan, by contrast, with its shallow slope and wide sidelines, is far less intimidating than Kinnick despite holding 36,000 more people.

The north end zone needs to be renovated pretty badly IMHO.

I could see them taking out the open spaces between the north end zone and the east and west stands. It wouldn't add much, but I think you could make more room and have a few thousand more seats available.

Any north end zone renovation is AT LEAST five years away IMHO.

It's more about stadium design than raw numbers. I've been down on the field for games at Michigan, OSU and Kinnick. The Shoe's steep profile, double-decks and fully-enclosed endzone concentrate the crowd sound unbelievably. Michigan, by contrast, with its shallow slope and wide sidelines, is far less intimidating than Kinnick despite holding 36,000 more people.

I completely agree. I grew up watching games in the Rose Bowl and LA Coliseum. Those giant places are not very intimidating.

However, I also think Kinnick is less intimidating since the rebuilt the South endzone and slanted it back more. I would like to see them tier the North Endzone and close the ends.

I think they should build a platform that rings the entire stadium and have standers. I might be in the minority but I like to stand the ENTIRE game.

THis

It would be easy to make standing room only on a elevated ring. I personally like to stand also and hate people yelling at me for standing up during the game.

THis

It would be easy to make standing room only on a elevated ring. I personally like to stand also and hate people yelling at me for standing up during the game.

I prefer to sit whenever possible, but as a student I don't have that luxury anymore. In 2008 (my freshman year), I would go up higher in the SW corner because it was always empty. I cheer as much as anyone for big plays, but I like to watch the play develop, rather than screaming my head off 110% of the time and only seeing the end result. I like to see the lineman bail out and the tailback swing out, realizing that it's a screen play. I like watching the stunts and twists.

I may be in the minority, but I really enjoy being able to see things before they happen. Actually, in the 2008 Wisconsin game, I did just that. Remember Greene's long run straight up the gut, untouched to the endzone? When UW brought up the safety for a blitz, I turned to my friend and said, "If Greene hits that hole, he's gone". Greene got the ball, and as soon as he made the cut toward THAT hole, I was screaming "TOUCHDOWN IOWA!!!!!!". My friend thought I was crazy until he saw the only thing that all the drunkards saw: Greene running free. I saw the things that made that play happen. And that's just really fun, IMO.

I prefer to sit whenever possible, but as a student I don't have that luxury anymore. In 2008 (my freshman year), I would go up higher in the SW corner because it was always empty. I cheer as much as anyone for big plays, but I like to watch the play develop, rather than screaming my head off 110% of the time and only seeing the end result. I like to see the lineman bail out and the tailback swing out, realizing that it's a screen play. I like watching the stunts and twists.

I may be in the minority, but I really enjoy being able to see things before they happen. Actually, in the 2008 Wisconsin game, I did just that. Remember Greene's long run straight up the gut, untouched to the endzone? When UW brought up the safety for a blitz, I turned to my friend and said, "If Greene hits that hole, he's gone". Greene got the ball, and as soon as he made the cut toward THAT hole, I was screaming "TOUCHDOWN IOWA!!!!!!". My friend thought I was crazy until he saw the only thing that all the drunkards saw: Greene running free. I saw the things that made that play happen. And that's just really fun, IMO.

and none of this would be possible if you weren't sitting down?

I think if you enclosed the whole stadium that should be enough, giving you roughly 75,000. Iowa fans would easily fill 4,000 more seats a game.

Simple supply and demand. Why not add 10,000 or 20,000 seats and lower the price of tickets? It may not always sell out at $60 a ticket, but we pay a lot of economics professors who could figure out pricing schedules.

In 1939, 50,000 attended Iowa vs. Notre Dame. During our 19 straight losing seasons, we averaged 55,000. Hayden Fry said one of the reasons he went to Iowa was how crazy fans went when we got a first down. He wondered what would happen if we got a touchdown. Minnesota's new football stadium: 50,805.

I don't care if they have to lower the price a lot to get 90,000 people in Kinnick. It would be worth it in growing fan support, instilling passion in our youth, and would be made up for with wins, food, and apparel.

Simple supply and demand. Why not add 10,000 or 20,000 seats and lower the price of tickets? It may not always sell out at $60 a ticket, but we pay a lot of economics professors who could figure out pricing schedules.

In 1939, 50,000 attended Iowa vs. Notre Dame. During our 19 straight losing seasons, we averaged 55,000. Hayden Fry said one of the reasons he went to Iowa was how crazy fans went when we got a first down. He wondered what would happen if we got a touchdown. Minnesota's new football stadium: 50,805.

I don't care if they have to lower the price a lot to get 90,000 people in Kinnick. It would be worth it in growing fan support, instilling passion in our youth, and would be made up for with wins, food, and apparel.

Structurally,Kinnick is unsuited for that extent of expansion. The angle is too vertical to add higher seats; they would be too distant, the costs would be prohibitive. Maybe 5,000 to 10,000 poor-viewing seats could be added in the endzones, mostly in the corners...but even that would be unfeasible for the north endzone (street would have to be moved, etc). How the south endzone seats would be configured was considered just a few years ago when it was reconstructed adding what they thought was the optimal number of seats to offset the fewer seats resulting from the renovations in east & west seating.

tiggerhawk; said:
.but even that would be unfeasible for the north endzone (street would have to be moved, etc). How the south endzone seats would be configured was considered just a few years ago when it was reconstructed adding what they thought was the optimal number of seats to offset the fewer seats resulting from the renovations in east & west seating.

Actually, I would be all for moving the street. Take it around the parking structure. Also, there is an entrance to that structure there, but there is also one on the other side. I would take out the whole section. Bring it right to the corner of the sideline sections, tier it and bank it way more.

This is an unfair question based on this season. Home games against ISU, tOSU, Wiskey, MSU and PSU make for great Home Games. Couple that with the expectations of this years team and I think Kinnick could easily sell 100K tickets.

Previous/future seasons not so much. If Iowa fields an average team and has home games against Minny, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers I don't think they University sells 100K tickets.

It will be interesting to see how many of the new applications keep their seasons tickets beyond 2010

THIS. With the awesome home games this year and the hype surrounding this season, we could sell out 100,000 seats this upcoming season.

and none of this would be possible if you weren't sitting down?

I would PREFER to sit. If I chose to sit in the student section, I wouldn't see anything. That's all. It's also easier to hear myself think when I'm not surrounded by drunk retards.

I like to stand the ENTIRE game too! I can't stand sitting during a game. About the only time I sit is halftime. Fortunately, the people around me seem to like standing (or don't feel they have a choice if they want to see over me:))

I sure hope with all the demand for tickets, that the people that show up this year can get into the games instead of sitting and acting like they're tranquilized!

sit the **** down ... my 5'2.5" wife can't see over your fat head