So far impressed with Phil Parker's adjustments at half time

homes

Both games, his defense has come out in the second half and (for the most part) stifled NIU and ISU. That's good coaching.

I thought PP even dialed up the penetration early in the second qtr. It seemed the Hawk Dee was trying to read and react on ISU's first few drives which didnt work. The last 3 qtrs of the game the dee line was penetrating and busting plays. Good stuff

He really has done a superb job making adjustments, Iowa in the second half is a very good defensive team. Now if the offense wasnt terrible.....

I am very impressed with our D. All the experts were saying our D will struggle but our O will be fine.
Experts.........pfffffffffffff:rolleyes:

Phil was an extremely successful secondary coach, so I'm not surprised with his success so far this year. I never understood why so many fans didn't want him as the DC.

Phil was an extremely successful secondary coach, so I'm not surprised with his success so far this year. I never understood why so many fans didn't want him as the DC.

Because they wanted an outside presence to shake things up and make big changes (aka G. Davis). However, they didn't realize that huge shake ups weren't necessary, but slight changes were going to be fine. I like PP and I think he will continue to do a good job.

I am very happy with the adjustments being made the way the defense is playing in the second half. I question is why is it taking so long to get there, OK we had not seen Northern Illinois, but ISU we should have know pretty much what they were going to be doing. Coach even said that, so with UNI we should know what there tendencies will be, so will they come out and shut them down from the beginning or not.

I also have been happy with PP's D so far this year. However, there were a couple of times ISU receivers were running free behind the defense and Steele Pantz just missed him. Maybe that was part of the plan, makes them beat you throwing it deep? If so, it worked. If you would have told me we would hold ISU to 9 points before the season started, I would have bet the house that Iowa would win that game in a laugher. Shows what I know.

I am very happy with the adjustments being made the way the defense is playing in the second half. I question is why is it taking so long to get there, OK we had not seen Northern Illinois, but ISU we should have know pretty much what they were going to be doing. Coach even said that, so with UNI we should know what there tendencies will be, so will they come out and shut them down from the beginning or not.

The DL is mostly inexperienced group. It takes them some time to see what is happening and make actual adjustments. Experienced players can make the adjustment quicker and possibly without coaching input. I agree that Phil has his group playing well and I think the improvement will continue as season progresses.

I also have been happy with PP's D so far this year. However, there were a couple of times ISU receivers were running free behind the defense and Steele Pantz just missed him. Maybe that was part of the plan, makes them beat you throwing it deep? If so, it worked. If you would have told me we would hold ISU to 9 points before the season started, I would have bet the house that Iowa would win that game in a laugher. Shows what I know.

HawkeyeGameFilm said that they took more chances in the cover game to support the run game in the 2nd half. I wouldn't say they had players "running free", but they did have guys open with a step or two on a defender.

HawkeyeGameFilm said that they took more chances in the cover game to support the run game in the 2nd half. I wouldn't say they had players "running free", but they did have guys open with a step or two on a defender.

Actually it wasn't guys open, it was just whoever Tommy Soybean was trying to cover.

Bumping this thread to throw some data in to backup the OP's assertions: NIU: 7 drives, 81 yards, 7 points ISU: 8 drives, 100 yards, 0 points UNI: 5 drives, 128 yards, 3 points That's 20 2nd half drives our defense has faced and they've given up a grand total of 309 yards and just 10 points. To compartmentalize it even further, the NIU game included a run for a 73 yard touchdown and in today's game we laid back a little bit on the last drive of the game to allow UNI to burn themselves out of game clock (today's final drive accounted for 56 of the 128 yards). I realize we're not exactly playing the most prolific offense, but it should be noted that I'm not sure anyone was expecting these kinds of numbers out of the defense...whatever Phil is doing at halftime it seems to be working.

WTF? Something must be goofy with the board software...I'm unable to put the stats on a separate line or put paragraph breaks in my post, and every time I try to edit it will allow me to click the save changes button, but nothing happens. Sorry for the convoluted data...

Latest posts