So far impressed with Phil Parker's adjustments at half time

I would also add that KF is looking like a genius for putting Coach Morgan with the young DL and Coach Woods with the LB.
The DL is expected to be a weak spot but I think they are progressing faster than expected.
The LBs have a lot of responsibility with the young DL in front but Hitchens is having a beast of a year, and Morris is coming on strong now.
If only Levar can get Morris to shave that mustache........

How is it that the defense can come out and look so awful for the first drive of every game? UNI looked like they could drop 50 on us. The pushed us off the ball, receivers were wide open, and the QB, who is good, looked like Joe Montana. After that, the D was fine...better than fine in some cases. So clearly PP is good at making in-game adjustments, but I hope they can figure out how to come out of the gate stronger. With the offense being what it is this year, the Hawks can't afford to constantly start the game down 7-0 (or 6-0, if the opposing team has a crappy kicker.)

The number one adjustment that PP has been made that everyone is overlooking is PP's willingness to play the nickel and dime coverages when the opponent is in an obvious passing situation. When this is done the opponent is only converting 10-20 % of the time. The defense is getting off of the field sooner.

We are typically seeing this adjustment in the second quarter and the opponent is finding it much more difficult to move the chains because we no longer have slow linebackers running down the field in coverage on receivers and running backs. You can tell by the game plans of our opponents that they are expecting theses match-ups and planned on exploiting this. This is why they are often marching down the field early with ease.

I loved everything about Norm's defense except his unwillingness to play nickel and dime in passing situations. I believe this cost the team at least one victory each season. Linebackers in coverage on receivers and backs is a huge mismatch for opponents in most cases especially if the pass rush does not get there.

This is also what I like so far about Greg Davis. He is trying to get the ball to our backs in the passing game for the same mismatch and it is working (assuming we catch it).

I couldn't agree more. Using the backs the way he is out of the backfields forces linebackers to play in space. It also is going to allow more room for CJ to roam into vacated areas. Canzeri is perfect for this type of offense. If he can cut like he needs to, can you imagine a LB trying to stay with him one on one. It's good for 5-6 yards a crack and the occasional big gainer. JVB has to deliver the ball in stride and it's going to be tough to stop. With Bullock and Canzeri in the short passing game, you make defenses move closer to the line of scrimmage...it will allow some deep balls beyond the safeties when the start cheating up...this coupled with the running game...our play action is going to work beautifully. I like where this is going.

I couldn't agree more. Using the backs the way he is out of the backfields forces linebackers to play in space. It also is going to allow more room for CJ to roam into vacated areas. Canzeri is perfect for this type of offense. If he can cut like he needs to, can you imagine a LB trying to stay with him one on one. It's good for 5-6 yards a crack and the occasional big gainer. JVB has to deliver the ball in stride and it's going to be tough to stop. With Bullock and Canzeri in the short passing game, you make defenses move closer to the line of scrimmage...it will allow some deep balls beyond the safeties when the start cheating up...this coupled with the running game...our play action is going to work beautifully. I like where this is going.

Yeah, Phil sure knows offense........ :rolleyes:

Latest posts