So are you excited about Iowa basketball?

longtimer

For me i always enjoy watching Iowa basketball It helps get me through Iowa winters. (hopefully the pandemic will be over and I will be in Arizona for at least most of the winter) I expect Iowa to be somewhere between 6 and 11 in final Big Ten standings and likely not in the tournament. Unlike this year expectations will be pretty low deservedly so. For me its hard to get real excited. I expect Fran to be at Iowa another 4 or 5 years and retire never having won a title either regular season of Big Ten tournament and never having played the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. Hope I am wrong but fear that I am not. In any case have been a fan for a long time and don't plan to switch teams now I would be interested to hear a different perspective

I don't know if excited is the right word to describe me but I am very interested to see how Perkins and Ulis do with significantly more playing time. Having them, Toussaint, the Murrays, Patrick, etc. should be a better defensive and much more athletic team.

I'll always be a fan and I hope for the best, but I expect a sharp decline next year with all the departures, which makes it hard for me to be excited about the immediate future. The last couple years of building towards this year's team ended in a 2nd round loss (again), and now we're heading into a rebuilding type of year.. I feel pretty deflated right now.

The good news is that next year will either be down (like I expect) or it could be a pleasant surprise, so there's little chance of crushing disappointment.

Lot of question marks about next year's team, IMO, including what exactly the roster will even look like. Nunge is already leaving. What other transfers (incoming/outgoing) will there be, if any? Will Wieskamp be back?

The young guys may well be more athletic, but I think it remains to be seen how much raw talent was sitting on the bench this past year. Time will tell. I'm definitely interested to see how the young guys look when we see more of them next year, but my expectations aren't that high. They're a pretty inexperienced bunch.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see how the young guys play. Should be more fast paced and athletic as well as better defensively. Shooting will be a large drop-off, but seemed to be a let-down even this year at times when it was needed. I don't know or want to imagine what it will look like in the W-L area, but I'm excited to see these guys.

Also, we don't know how the team will look next year yet. JoeW could come back. We could add a transfer or two. Maybe lose another transfer.

I'm excited to see how the young guys play. Should be more fast paced and athletic as well as better defensively. Shooting will be a large drop-off, but seemed to be a let-down even this year at times when it was needed. I don't know or want to imagine what it will look like in the W-L area, but I'm excited to see these guys.

Also, we don't know how the team will look next year yet. JoeW could come back. We could add a transfer or two. Maybe lose another transfer.
We think shooting will be a big drop off. But the young guys weren’t shooting the 3 this year...with Garza and the multitude of shooters. There may not be a huge drop off. We won’t know until we get a decent sample size.

Forgot to answer the question...I’m very excited. Connor and CJ have arguably the highest basketball IQs on the team. Combine their experience, leadership, etc. with the young talent and we could be very good. A lot will depend on becoming a top 50 D.

I am really looking forward to watching these kids next year , for the simple fact we do not know what we have , will be refreshing to see what I think will be a much more athletic team , hoping that in itself translates to better D , for me , wins/losses will be what they will be , I do not have high expectations other than hoping they are markedly improved at the end of the season as compared to the start of the season

Next year will be as bad as it gets. Knowing that, I will get excited by the occasional unexpected win.

I don’t know enough about who will return next season to make any
serious predictions about our potential and resultant success, or lack thereof. But, I know damn well I will be crazy excited, especially with the likelihood that I will be in CHA with my season ticket! Hey. If all else fails I can yell obscenities at the refs. It will certainly be an anticipation not even remotely like what we experienced in this season.

Losing Nunge really puts a damper on expectations. Half expecting JW to go. CJF would really decimate things if he left and would be the biggest shock of the three.

But even then I will still be looking forward to next season. JT, Ullis, Perkins, PMAC, Murray 1, Murray 2, and CMAC is a pretty solid core of players to throw out there to play some pretty good D and fast paced O. I expect CJF to be in there as well. The big Englishman will contribute and looks more athletic than I thought. Bound to bring in a transfer and maybe another freshman that exceeds expectations. I see no reason to be pessimistic and see this as a team that will give the Hawks a brand new (fun) look and may just give the other teams fits. Just give em some time.

A full non conference season will be very beneficial. If everyone but Nunge, Garza and JBo return roles have to be established, new guys added to the rotation, etc.

Well, it's April, ~6 months out from the next Iowa game, and just a couple weeks removed from a disappointing (IMO) early exit from the tourney so...at this particular moment in time, am I particularly fired up about Iowa hoops? Nope.

Come late October will I be all fired up and ready to see a new look Iowa team? Definitely.

Losing Nunge was a huge hit for me, Fran now has a huge hole to fill. As the team sits right now it’s a 2nd division team, assuming Wieskamp is gone. Get Wieskamp and another solid big man and they could climb into the top 5.