So are Spokane and Waco easier to recruit to than Iowa City???

ricka

Just curious why they have success? I would dare to say that they have better "bag men" than the hawks?

Most people probably want to play all the best teams. But a handful of people love being the big fish in a small pond. It's pretty easy to fill a basketball team with the handful of really good players that like the idea of piss pounding almost every team they play.

Baylor ... the dirtiest athletic programs in the last 20 years. Also, if you have ever had to travel to Spokane, you would have to think that something is up there also.
From the Seattle Post Intelligencer, "David Salinas, the founder of a Houston summer basketball program, committed suicide last weekend, exposing the alleged investment fraud. Few reportedly invested $353,000 with Salinas, while Gonzaga assistant coach Ray Giacoletti invested $1.2 million."

Former Houston basketball coach Tom Penders first raised the specter of Salinas possibly peddling his influence with recruits. “He hinted he could steer players my way”. “Coaches are supposed to be street smart. I just can’t believe guys wouldn’t know that was against the rules. It’s beyond me.”

At least one former Gonzaga player, point guard Demetri Goodson, played for Salinas’ AAU team, Houston Select.

Side note: Scott Drew also invested with this guy.

I just wish Fran would start cheating. How many fans remember that the Fab Five had their wins and Final Fours vacated? Even if they do, wasn't it a fun ride? I know...crazy talk.

The premise of this question only says to me, Nope, we do not have one of the two best coaches in the country.

You can build power houses MBB programs just about anywhere with the right coach and structured cheating. Lawrence and Bloomington are not exactly garden cities either.

Fran does not cheat. Fran is a very good, but not great recruiter (because he does not cheat). He is a great developer, but a pretty average bench coach. That is why we are what we are and they are what they are.

In short, location does not matter. Good coaches and good cheating get you trophies.

In my opinion Gonzaga is as much a blue blood in today's game as anyone. I'm not saying Iowa City isn't on par with Spokane, but the fact is the bottom line is winning matters. There tournament resume, regardless of being in a mid major, far and away exceeds anything we've ever accomplished as a program.

That's not me saying we can ever get there or will always be inferior to them, but the fact is they're a much larger brand then we are in terms of kids wanting to play for a contender. Sure conference affiliation is fantastic, but to us that next step is just getting back to the sweet 16. Gonzaga's been doing that consistently the last decade.

While there's no doubt in my mind the allegations 99topdawg posted above, I think even if you were to throw the "cleanliness" of the program out the window it's hard not to think that from a basketball perspective based on success they're at a completely different level then we are.

Last edited:
When Iowa was looking for a new coach to replace Lickliter, I remember wanting Scott Drew as our next coach. I have no idea how true it was (maybe not at all), but I remember hearing a rumor at the time that he may have had some interest in the Iowa job.

A lot of us had a wish list, but Drew was my guy. I didn't, and still don't, care if he is willing to get his hands dirty on the recruiting trail. I thought for sure that he'd get us some players. That ship obviously has sailed, though.

Last edited:
Yeah, Baylor way more athletic than the hawks, great shooters, shock type defenders staying right in the way of Gonzaga and the other teams they clobbered.

They do not have a classic tall guy in the lane but they can jump and rebound .

This notion of "cheating" is difficult. It's vaguely defined, the NCAA actually has some ridiculous rules, and it seems that forms of rule-breaking are so rampant that we have to ask, "is it cheating, after all?".

As college sports fans, I think that so much of the recruitment-cheating we hear about is very petty on the crime scale... it's easily forgiven by fans and culture. It's not like mafia crime, in which people are getting murdered. Rich people are giving away money, or assets, etc.. to people they want to influence. So for the programs who cheat, and win... the NCAA can ultimately penalize them and "take away" their trophies, but the memories and the legacy largely remains intact.

Curious to see if people agree with this or not. But as an example, I think USC football was aggressively sanctioned for much of Pete Carroll's era. But even as their trophies are taken away... opinion hasn't changed on USC from that era. Back in the 2000s, we knew they were cheating, and they were the best program. Today, the NCAA has confirmed that they were indeed cheating, and we still look back and think that they were the best.

This notion of "cheating" is difficult. It's vaguely defined, the NCAA actually has some ridiculous rules, and it seems that forms of rule-breaking are so rampant that we have to ask, "is it cheating, after all?".

As college sports fans, I think that so much of the recruitment-cheating we hear about is very petty on the crime scale... it's easily forgiven by fans and culture. It's not like mafia crime, in which people are getting murdered. Rich people are giving away money, or assets, etc.. to people they want to influence. So for the programs who cheat, and win... the NCAA can ultimately penalize them and "take away" their trophies, but the memories and the legacy largely remains intact.

Curious to see if people agree with this or not. But as an example, I think USC football was aggressively sanctioned for much of Pete Carroll's era. But even as their trophies are taken away... opinion hasn't changed on USC from that era. Back in the 2000s, we knew they were cheating, and they were the best program. Today, the NCAA has confirmed that they were indeed cheating, and we still look back and think that they were the best.

It's all a myth - non of it is actually a crime. The NCAA has rules but they are not laws.

The NCAA has managed to trick people including half this board into thinking its an authority of law.

Yep. No one gives a rip that the Fab 5's wins were vacated, or that Jerry Tarkanian was a shady recruiter at UNLV. Or Louisville, etc. We could list example after example. I never hear anyone say "Yeah, but they cheated so it doesn't count". It all still happened on the court.

Thought I heard once that Iowa self-reported to the NCAA because some recruits were supposedly introduced to Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore on a visit, which apparently was technically a violation. Oh the horror! There are some pretty stupid rules. Obviously there are more flagrant forms of "cheating" than this, but like you said, this isn't exactly life or death. If a kid and his family gets a few extra bucks, is that honestly such a bad thing, anyway? Many could probably use the money, lol.

Last edited:
It's all a myth - non of it is actually a crime. The NCAA has rules but they are not laws.

The NCAA has managed to trick people including half this board into thinking its an authority of law.
Lol, bribery is a crime and it's been successfully prosecuted in cases involving college athletes.

Where you think it's not a crime is more than likely because scumbag coaches insulate themselves extremely well from the people doing the bribing and physically dropping off the cash, hookers, and blow, and they don't typically go down for it.

Latest posts