Small Business Owners - Insurance

MelroseHawkins

I am in the process of starting my own business. It is service oriented (Data driven). I have no store front, no inventory and do not sell products. I provide a service and primary work remotely into computer systems. I will be the sole proprietor of a llc and the only worker at this point. Are any of you in a similar situation where you have a small business? I was wondering what companies you have found that you feel offer you the best rates for the following below or that you recommend from experience:

Health Ins (Family plans)
Long-term disability
Short-term disability

Thanks.

I am in the process of starting my own business. It is service oriented (Data driven). I have no store front, no inventory and do not sell products. I provide a service and primary work remotely into computer systems. I will be the sole proprietor of a llc and the only worker at this point. Are any of you in a similar situation where you have a small business? I was wondering what companies you have found that you feel offer you the best rates for the following below or that you recommend from experience:

Health Ins (Family plans)
Long-term disability
Short-term disability

Thanks.
Can you join your wife’s insurance, or if she’s on yours currently can she start on the plan at her workplace and include you and your kids? Assuming she has a health plan available.

Can you join your wife’s insurance, or if she’s on yours currently can she start on the plan at her workplace and include you and your kids? Assuming she has a health plan available.
That is my first plan. Right now I have our boys on mine and cover dental for all. She has health thru her work. I was just checking for a backup plan as her school district sounds like they are going charge employees next year and we would have a family on hers. I prob will end up doing that than just pay her monthly out-of-pocket each month. Just looking at options.

I have folded that into my overhead which I should make enough to cover if had to secure my own. There is a chance I could go down to half time at my employer now to keep my benefits so have a couple options to work through.

I think she could add in mid year outside of the enrollment period but checking in case would have get gap insurance. I more am interested in any who have a small business that gets either short-term or long-term disability as I would want some income if out of work since being a sole independent contractor. The $$$$ is there in my field and a lot of places need help so not really concerned about $$$$ or work. Just concerned if would happen to have a health issue keeping me out of work for some time, especially when new and building the business.

Thanks.

I think she could add in mid year outside of the enrollment period but checking in case would have get gap insurance.
Correct.

What you're describing is a QLE (qualifying life event) under the administrative rules. FYI this is going to be WAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper than open market health insurance no matter what you have to pay for you and your kids to be on her insurance.

There is no way you'd pay less than triple or quadruple group plan rates for equivalent coverage. I did a lot of looking for a family member in a similar situation last year and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it cost you $1,500-2,000 a month for family coverage when all is said and done, and that's for a high-deductible/no co-pay plan.

There is absolutely nothing whatsoever affordable about the Affordable Care Act.

Correct.

What you're describing is a QLE (qualifying life event) under the administrative rules. FYI this is going to be WAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper than open market health insurance no matter what you have to pay for you and your kids to be on her insurance.

There is no way you'd pay less than triple or quadruple group plan rates for equivalent coverage. I did a lot of looking for a family member in a similar situation last year and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it cost you $1,500-2,000 a month for family coverage when all is said and done, and that's for a high-deductible/no co-pay plan.

There is absolutely nothing whatsoever affordable about the Affordable Care Act.

Yep. That is what I thought as well and in that similar range when investigating. I'm sure we will go the route of being added to wife's plan and will be around $800-$850 a month which is the play here.

Agree with last statement.

Yep. That is what I thought as well and in that similar range when investigating. I'm sure we will go the route of being added to wife's plan and will be around $800-$850 a month which is the play here.

Agree with last statement.
Man, that's still crazy high. Where I'm at in small town NW Iowa my employer's group plan is $349/month and single coverage (what I'm on) is $64/month. My deductible is $1,500/yr with no copay.

Man, that's still crazy high. Where I'm at in small town NW Iowa my employer's group plan is $349/month and single coverage (what I'm on) is $64/month. My deductible is $1,500/yr with no copay.
Holy Sh*t. Your employer does know it isn’t 1995, right?

Latest posts