Small and Slow....

I know Brandon Myers worked out stealing him from UNI, but these offers like stealing Greg Castillo from Villanova and Tanner Miller from UNI have got to stop. If you are offering guys like that full scholarships at the last hour that means you havent done your job as a recruiter.

Correct, but Snyder coaches to his players' strength.
FreedComanche

Which is a huge issue. Snyder use to run the option in his early years at KState. If he had Kirk Ferentz mentality, Collin Klein would be running the option and throwing about 10 times per game. They would probably be under .500 as well.

Which is a huge issue. Snyder use to run the option in his early years at KState. If he had Kirk Ferentz mentality, Collin Klein would be running the option and throwing about 10 times per game. They would probably be under .500 as well.

Be careful. You might tick off the "cry baby ferentz" defenders.

FreedComanche

Oh that would be great, and would be an easy solution. Let's cut all of the under performing student-athletes and take them off scholarship and replace them with jucos. You could line the under performing players up at the end of the season and make the cuts.

Injuries could be used to get new talent also, especially with season ending injuries or even in cases with injuries occurring in their sophomore or junior year and there are questions about whether they can make it back to full strength. Take away their scholarships, they are of no use to the program. They should not have gotten injured. It could further promote that Higher Education is all about providing an exceptional learning environment.

There is a risk with recruiting, and that risk should stay with the University not transferred to the student-athletes.

How many times do I have to explain why programs run the option or vere as I call it? It is easy to win with less talent. So I guess you could say "the coach coaches to his talent" or you could say he recruits a few players that make that vere system work. So instead of having to recruit and develope talent at every position, you only need 2 or 3 talented players you have to develope.

How many games does Mich win over the last few years without DR? How about MG at MN? Nebby and Tmart? Now that is only one player from each team what if they were missing their top 2 players? The idea with a pro style is you can say "next man in". Why because it is a team, not a few talented players. So which system has roots? Which system should be able to sustain sucess?
Now if you are walking into a program like Kill did, you do what you have to to win more now. That lets you keep your job. That lets you, get 6 wins and to a bowl. Inturn that gets your name out there that you are turning the program around and that helps to recruit at more positions.
Has Iowa failed to recruit? For sure. There are ways for them to do better then what they are doing. Will they find those ways and implement them? Who knows.

Still not sure why you would respond that way to what I stated. My whole point was that Snyder coaches to his players' strength. ferentz, for the most part, does not.

Your reply proves the point that ferentz has to have good talent to win, while Syder does not. That says a lot.

FreedComanche

I don't think it proves anything. One could also reasonably say it proves that Snyder is, by far, the best college coach.

I don't think it proves anything. One could also reasonably say it proves that Snyder is, by far, the best college coach.

That was the point, Snyder is much better than ferentz at coaching. Is Snyder the best coach in America? Maybe. Hope he wins the award for this year.

Also, you don't need to be the best coach in the world to coach to your players' strengths. That's what cry baby ferentz should pay attention to.

FreedComanche

With a QB like Klein.....it can make you look really smart. Snyder is a good coach. However, don't change a thing and put Klein in for JVB...we are suddenly an 7-8 win team NOW, still in the hunt for the B!G title.

Recruiting is the biggest issue right now, there are a few other issues...but the most glaring is talent, which may improve significantly the next couple years....

With a QB like Klein.....it can make you look really smart. Snyder is a good coach. However, don't change a thing and put Klein in for JVB...we are suddenly an 7-8 win team NOW, still in the hunt for the B!G title.

Recruiting is the biggest issue right now, there are a few other issues...but the most glaring is talent, which may improve significantly the next couple years....

I like your post so much, I liked it twice.

Talent is the biggest issue here. They lack playmakers. They lack the ability to keep the defenses honest. They lack some speed.

Recruiting was pretty bad for a few years. Especially in 2009. It has improved the last couple of years, though, and I think we see this evidenced by KF fielding his youngest team...ever. VDB is certainly a large disappointment, but the overall theme is youth, and lack of upperclassmen who have real talent.

I've read that Iowa's football facilities are now rated about 4th in the conference after the upgrades. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. We have a few new assistants (Brian F is a compelling one). I would THINK that recruiting should be solid in the next few years, but the mounting losses are problematic. Thoughts?

VDB is not a gifted athlete, and he handles the ball every play. This makes Baby Jeebus cry.

Granted, the losses on the O Line were huge, but VDB is just really flummoxed. My kingdom for a great, dual threat QB.

That was the point, Snyder is much better than ferentz at coaching. Is Snyder the best coach in America? Maybe. Hope he wins the award for this year.

Also, you don't need to be the best coach in the world to coach to your players' strengths. That's what cry baby ferentz should pay attention to.

FreedComanche

Which coach or program is better? One who has to recruit and develope at every position (building an entire team), or one who only really needs a couple good coaches to develope a couple talented players?
Auburn was all the rage a few years ago, what happened? Who dat who dare?
Do you think if Cam would have gotten hurt they would have won the NT?
Then again look at Bama, they are coaching up an entire team and it shows year in and year out.
Iowa is at the hump. We have been doing fairly well in the last 10 years, and this kind of year should not happen. Why it happened has been talked about enough. It should be easier to right the ship then to build a whole new one, dont you think? It all starts with the coaches winning in the trenches and using new methods for evaulating and recruiting players.

Finally somebody else that understands the game and all that goes with it.

How many times do I have to explain why programs run the option or vere as I call it? It is easy to win with less talent. So I guess you could say "the coach coaches to his talent" or you could say he recruits a few players that make that vere system work. So instead of having to recruit and develope talent at every position, you only need 2 or 3 talented players you have to develope.

How many games does Mich win over the last few years without DR? How about MG at MN? Nebby and Tmart? Now that is only one player from each team what if they were missing their top 2 players? The idea with a pro style is you can say "next man in". Why because it is a team, not a few talented players. So which system has roots? Which system should be able to sustain sucess?
Now if you are walking into a program like Kill did, you do what you have to to win more now. That lets you keep your job. That lets you, get 6 wins and to a bowl. Inturn that gets your name out there that you are turning the program around and that helps to recruit at more positions.
Has Iowa failed to recruit? For sure. There are ways for them to do better then what they are doing. Will they find those ways and implement them? Who knows.

Michigan, historically, is the winningest program in college football, because they have had top tier talent year in and year out. They are putting together another stellar recruiting class this year (and did this last year, too). They will be good in the coming years because of talent (and coaching).

Ohio State has a first year coach (granted, he is a great coach). He's 10-0 because he has talent (and schemes). He didn't recruit Braxton Miller, but Miller is a playmaker, and his talent is winning OSU a lot of games. OSU consistently recruits around top 5 nationally, and they're doing it again.

Guess which two teams will be on top in the BoneG in the coming years. That's right, these two teams. Why? Top flight talent.

KSU has talent at positions other than QB.

As an aside, I said the Oregon State had a shot at beating Wisconsin this year, because they had some speed and talent. People on this board really thought my comment was hilarious. Ore State won that game, and they're a top 15 team.

Anyone watch Texas A and M last week? Plenty o' talent, and a gifted young dual threat QB.

There's one year that I can think of when Iowa had a lot of talent and lost games. It was 2010. THAT was disappointing.

Michigan, historically, is the winningest program in college football, because they have had top tier talent year in and year out. They are putting together another stellar recruiting class this year (and did this last year, too). They will be good in the coming years because of talent (and coaching).

Ohio State has a first year coach (granted, he is a great coach). He's 10-0 because he has talent (and schemes). He didn't recruit Braxton Miller, but Miller is a playmaker, and his talent is winning OSU a lot of games. OSU consistently recruits around top 5 nationally, and they're doing it again.

Guess which two teams will be on top in the BoneG in the coming years. That's right, these two teams. Why? Top flight talent.

They do get a ton of talent (because they built a program). Hoke if I recall has said he would rather be playing a more pro set. Meyer has been trying to spread the ball around more as well. He has the talent to do so. Hoke walked into a situation that required him to win now. He is a very good D coach and that really helped.
There are a few teams that choose to play that way, even thou they have talent, but with a qb that runs 80% or the time, you could recruit all top wr's and you would just be wasting that talent. I mean what self respecting wr would go to Nebby? Yes t mart is better this year, but for heavnes sake I cant beleive they could win a wr over a juco in the past few years.

Which coach or program is better? One who has to recruit and develope at every position (building an entire team), or one who only really needs a couple good coaches to develope a couple talented players?
Auburn was all the rage a few years ago, what happened? Who dat who dare?
Do you think if Cam would have gotten hurt they would have won the NT?
Then again look at Bama, they are coaching up an entire team and it shows year in and year out.
Iowa is at the hump. We have been doing fairly well in the last 10 years, and this kind of year should not happen. Why it happened has been talked about enough. It should be easier to right the ship then to build a whole new one, dont you think? It all starts with the coaches winning in the trenches and using new methods for evaulating and recruiting players.

Well, ok.

FreedComanche

What happened to the posters who constantly proclaimed the scheme was more effective than athletic ability?

Anyway, back to the thread, what is the OP trying to say with the heading? Since Ferentz has been head coach, Iowa's defense (as a unit) has been non-athletic and the pass defense has been flat-out bad. No DB can cover. Too much grabbing.

Last edited:
What happened to the posters who constantly proclaimed the scheme was more effective than athletic ability?

Anyway, back to the thread, what is the OP trying to say with the heading? Since Ferentz has been head coach, Iowa's defense (as a unit) has been non-athletic and the pass defense has been flat-out bad. No DB can cover. Too much grabbing.

"What happened to the posters who constantly proclaimed the scheme was more effective than athletic ability?"

As everyone should know, the scheme is much more important if your team is not very talented. If your team has much talent, you'll be good no matter the scheme.

FreedComanche

Latest posts