Sites issues from 12/15

I was wondering what happened to everything from yesterday, and why my friends list/rep looks all jacked up.

Hope everything turns out well.

Jon, do you not realize that a lot of us can go to employers, wives/husbands/significant others and say, "See? I haven't visited this site in over a month! Don't get on ME about Hawkeye obsession!"

LMLO!!!

Looks like they got your data back, which is good. Any competent ISP should be backing up your data regularly (check your contract to ensure its daily not just weekly).

Billso, no they didn't.
We've been backfilling stories, videos, pics, etc...

Spank, then how did you get back your message board posts and post counts, dating back to September? You sure didn't restore those manually, looks like SOMETHING was backed up.

And let me just say, having been in this business for a long time, that it's customary for an ISP to comp the full month's fee for a screwup this major.

Spank, then how did you get back your message board posts and post counts, dating back to September? You sure didn't restore those manually, looks like SOMETHING was backed up.

And let me just say, having been in this business for a long time, that it's customary for an ISP to comp the full month's fee for a screwup this major.

Month? I'd say a year, at minimum.

The hosting company had the info from when Jon went to his dedicated server with them. That was it.

Month? I'd say a year, at minimum.

The hosting company had the info from when Jon went to his dedicated server with them. That was it.

Yeah, Jon, in all seriousness, your ISP had better be offering LOTS of compensation for their mistake and for failing to keep a backup of your data...or at least, for God's sake, for not even making a backup of a server they were about to wipe!!! Regardless of who it belonged to! That's so basic, they should turn in their Net cards!!

Anyway, if the compensation is not both satisfactory AND substantial, you should seriously consider turning this into a publicity nightmare for your ISP. For what it's worth, I would help, and I'd bet a lot of others here would, too.

It is a bummer...and I am starting to get out of my funk...none of my family is dead or sick, life is still a blessing. There is a significant financial 'loss' with all of this, in how we built the site, the lost promotional value, etc.

I just know that this is an inconvenience for some of you and that bothers me. I can reenter a lot of the content over the course of the next few weeks and will do that. Again, I am sorry that some of you lost posts and things like that. I hope you still choose to make this site a part of your daily online hawkeye tour...we had a ton of momentum built up and I am confident we will get back in the right direction.

Sorry about the site Jon......but at least I'm back now! :)

Yeah, Jon, in all seriousness, your ISP had better be offering LOTS of compensation for their mistake and for failing to keep a backup of your data...or at least, for God's sake, for not even making a backup of a server they were about to wipe!!! Regardless of who it belonged to! That's so basic, they should turn in their Net cards!!

Money quote in bold there. Absolutely concur - it's a TRIPLE FAIL on basic ISP procedure (1, regular backups. 2, be 100% sure which server you're servicing. 3, always backup before formatting)

And Spank thanks for clarifying, that explains what I'm seeing.

Looks like they got your data back, which is good. Any competent ISP should be backing up your data regularly (check your contract to ensure its daily not just weekly).

We lost all data (stories, posts, post counts) between 11/4 to 12/15 through noon basically. Spank and I went in yesterday and last night and re-entered several stories from the last six weeks by using cached search engine data.

Latest posts