Signing Off HN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Social
Qzf
Social media attention is like blow. Everyone wants their high. And once they get a little they do more and more to try and keep the buzz going and things get worse as it escalates. This whole thing has been completely blown out of proportion and Rob kept the fire going. This site needs to be shut down.
Social media attention is like blow. Everyone wants their high. And once they get a little they do more and more to try and keep the buzz going and things get worse as it escalates. This whole thing has been completely blown out of proportion and Rob kept the fire going. This site needs to be shut down.
Social Media!! Twitter Gasoline on Truth. Bad!

Rob Howe is a joke. And it’s been apparent to me he has an axe to grind against KF since he called him out and made him look dumb in front of his media friends. Rob shortly after starting writing hit pieces on the Iowa team after every little fumble. In fact it seem like he was close to exposed by ‘us’ for being a horrible writer........ then he wrote an article about getting touched as a kid during the PSU scandal, played the victim card and won back some hearts with sympathy. Yawn.

DJK came out on twitter and said #1 KF is not racist. He said #2 He was a loud superstar and Iowa prefers quiet hard workers. Rob is just running with a fake narrative.

So I too will be signing off of HN. I mainly lurk. I also won’t be supporting the football team because of their cowardly actions. A bunch of weak kids crying about spilt breast milk, when the coaches are trying to carve them out of stone and direct them out of the path of City Boyz INC.

Most my friends feel this way too. If Rob can cause/help spread faux outrage on Doyle, I can stop supporting a website. Peace. Go Wrestling Team

I guess it's not surprising that someone who thinks Col. Jessup was the hero of A Few Good Men has these terrible opinions...

I'm sick of cancel culture. Too many people can't handle others not agreeing with them, and there is very little "agree to disagree" anymore. It's honestly sad. This celebrity has what opinion? How dare they. This CEO said what? Oh, let's boycott, and screw the consequences to the many workers on BOTH sides of the political aisle and from different races. It's ridiculous.

I don't agree with everything that's happened lately. I think Rob has thrown the word "racist" at people too quickly and cavalierly on the basis of one post or thought. But that's his right. I don't have to agree with it. I have enjoyed much of his work in the past. I will continue to lurk and enjoy reading all you guys much smarter than me debate issues Hawkeye related and beyond.

Crazy. Sounds like a lot of the people are coming out who are the ones Kaevon Merriweather was referring to in his tweet that feel fine supporting our players when they're in uniform but don't really care about them as people.

"If you can not support us right now with this movement and with our team taking a knee during the national anthem, DO NOT support us during the football season. DO NOT watch our games on TV. DO NOT come up to us when you want photos. DO NOT ask us to give your kids autographs. DON'T COME TO US EXPECTING US TO DO FOR YOU WHEN YOU CAN'T SUPPORT THE BLACK ATHLETES ON THIS TEAM AND THE DECISIONS WE MAKE AS A TEAM."

"I would rather play in front of 1,000 fans who care about us as people outside of football and what we are standing for, than 70,000 fans who only care about us when we are in uniform and on the field entertaining them."

You and me both. I guess that happens when you are older and not popping out deductions or rich and can't write off that beach house as a business expense.
Clowns to the left of me and joker's to the right.
Stuck in the middle with you!

Okay I felt the need to clear the air on a couple of things I’ve seen in here. Honestly I thought it would be taken down. But the post was really about the posters I have interacted with on this site and such is this final response.

For those saying “this was just DJK’s statement” are you crazy? DJK has over 14,000 Twitter followers, many of them hawkeye fans, he has an avenue and voice. Now let’s talk about the article. Cover photo DJK his beautiful wife and young kid... why not him playing at Iowa? Sheesh I wonder. What does the post talk about? DJK has another kid on the way, just got his dream job of coaching in college, had great stats at Iowa. Zero mentions in the precursor to his statement on his transgressions at Iowa, or him congratulating Kirk and calling him a legend. None. It was incredibly slanted if your eyes were even remotely open. The article gave him an avenue and credibility. It was disgusting journalism.

Second, I am not with the people blaming the current players and saying they aren’t going to watch. I’m absolutely going to stay an Iowa fan and keep watching, regardless of what they do. I actually think a lot of good will come and was coming out of this, although this article put that in jeopardy quite frankly.

Lastly, I am not with cancel culture in the slightest, and that’s not what this is. I’m not sitting here telling anyone else to stop coming here. If you go to a store and buy a product that’s defective and they don’t refund you do you keep going back? If you go to a restaurant and get shitty food do you keep going there? We all make decisions as consumers every day and Im making a decision to use a different platform. I don’t hate Rob, I’m not going to come after him on Twitter. I think he made a mistake certainly here but I’m not trying to ruin his life. This is a personal decision not cancel culture.

Okay that’s it, that’s all. Go Hawks!

Okay I felt the need to clear the air on a couple of things I’ve seen in here. Honestly I thought it would be taken down. But the post was really about the posters I have interacted with on this site and such is this final response.

For those saying “this was just DJK’s statement” are you crazy? DJK has over 14,000 Twitter followers, many of them hawkeye fans, he has an avenue and voice. Now let’s talk about the article. Cover photo DJK his beautiful wife and young kid... why not him playing at Iowa? Sheesh I wonder. What does the post talk about? DJK has another kid on the way, just got his dream job of coaching in college, had great stats at Iowa. Zero mentions in the precursor to his statement on his transgressions at Iowa, or him congratulating Kirk and calling him a legend. None. It was incredibly slanted if your eyes were even remotely open. The article gave him an avenue and credibility. It was disgusting journalism.

Second, I am not with the people blaming the current players and saying they aren’t going to watch. I’m absolutely going to stay an Iowa fan and keep watching, regardless of what they do. I actually think a lot of good will come and was coming out of this, although this article put that in jeopardy quite frankly.

Lastly, I am not with cancel culture in the slightest, and that’s not what this is. I’m not sitting here telling anyone else to stop coming here. If you go to a store and buy a product that’s defective and they don’t refund you do you keep going back? If you go to a restaurant and get shitty food do you keep going there? We all make decisions as consumers every day and Im making a decision to use a different platform. I don’t hate Rob, I’m not going to come after him on Twitter. I think he made a mistake certainly here but I’m not trying to ruin his life. This is a personal decision not cancel culture.

Sounds good bud. We will all look forward to your next post in an hour or so. :)

Crazy. Sounds like a lot of the people are coming out who are the ones Kaevon Merriweather was referring to in his tweet that feel fine supporting our players when they're in uniform but don't really care about them as people.

I have a neighbor who played pro baseball. Spent several years in the MLB as a catcher. He stopped by on Friday night to tell me and the dudes who crush brews in my driveway that he is moving in a few weeks because he can't walk up his stairs anymore. This guy is in his 40's. Catcher is obviously the most abusive position in baseball, but we bullshitted for awhile about how bad football players must feel.

I've seen so many videos of guys like Earl Campbell, Keith McCants, Fridge Perry and Todd Marinovich and it is just horrible what becomes of these guys. I do care about them off the field, but in a much bigger way than these "invincible" kids think. I've pretty much quit watching NFL other than the very late playoffs and the T-giving games, and I suspect college ain't far behind.

I love football, but as the layers of the onion get peeled back, I think somewhere deep inside most of us who have any sense of morals have a level of discomfort with what it does to these young men. They can try to make it safer, but it still isn't ever going to be safe. I really don't want my son to play football and I am starting to wonder if it is ethical for me to get so invested in something I wouldn't want my own boy to do. Maybe my tune will change as the season nears, but guys saying "don't watch if you don't support our semi-intelligible list of demands" will make it a lot easier not to re-up cable and burn 12 hours on nice fall Saturdays with my ass parked in front of a TV.

@NikeHawk21 I've enjoyed conversing with you but this feels as though you are not open to what the other side is saying. Now more than ever we need to be listening to what people are saying. Whether or not that article was slanted or DJK was embellishing the truth is besides the point, he feels he was mistreated and now that other people have spoken up there is probably some truth to what happened to DJK. What's important is that everyone listens, takes the appropriate actions, and we emerge from this stronger.

I'm a white guy who grew up in a white town, I have zero clue what it is like to be born and raised a black person. For many years I used to look at most black people and automatically think they were criminals. Unless they dressed like me or talked like me they must be hoodlums and up to no good. At one point in time I wanted to go to school for criminal justice, imagine a white guy like me with that upbringing being a cop. Unfortunately this is the situation that has played out far to often and this is what needs to get fixed. A black person should be able to walk down the street with baggy pants, tats, hat on backwards, or any other black stereotype without people like me look at that person and automatically think that person is a criminal ESPECIALLY COPS! This sounds like what has been going in on the football program, KF tried to take these young men and force them to conform to HIS standards. Pull your pants up, put your hat on straight, comb your hair (without corn rows), and talk like a white man or you will sit on the bench. That's not right, if the player is making grades, staying out of trouble, and working his ass off in practice then the rest shouldn't matter. At the end of the day I want the best football players to WANT to come to Iowa and be able to come here without racism regardless of what their skin color is.

Rob is presenting us their view point, I think us white people need to read what they are saying and learn from it, so we can all grow and end these racial tendencies. I am 47 years old and I'll be the first to admit that I've made mistakes in the past concerning racism, but if this old fart and grow as a person then so can you.

I hope you stick around.

I have a neighbor who played pro baseball. Spent several years in the MLB as a catcher. He stopped by on Friday night to tell me and the dudes who crush brews in my driveway that he is moving in a few weeks because he can't walk up his stairs anymore. This guy is in his 40's. Catcher is obviously the most abusive position in baseball, but we bullshitted for awhile about how bad football players must feel.

I've seen so many videos of guys like Earl Campbell, Keith McCants, Fridge Perry and Todd Marinovich and it is just horrible what becomes of these guys. I do care about them off the field, but in a much bigger way than these "invincible" kids think. I've pretty much quit watching NFL other than the very late playoffs and the T-giving games, and I suspect college ain't far behind.

I love football, but as the layers of the onion get peeled back, I think somewhere deep inside most of us who have any sense of morals have a level of discomfort with what it does to these young men. They can try to make it safer, but it still isn't ever going to be safe. I really don't want my son to play football and I am starting to wonder if it is ethical for me to get so invested in something I wouldn't want my own boy to do. Maybe my tune will change as the season nears, but guys saying "don't watch if you don't support our semi-intelligible list of demands" will make it a lot easier not to re-up cable and burn 12 hours on nice fall Saturdays with my ass parked in front of a TV.

I crossed paths with Earl Campbell 20 years ago when I was living in Austin. I was doing some work in the building where his office was. He came out using two canes, he could barely walk. Super nice guy. it was sad though. That game really tears you up.

I big time get it. If you think this is a shitty product, you gotta leave. But this is my favorite restaurant that just burnt my medium rare stake to a crisp this one time. I selfishly hope you change your mind by basketball season. See ya man.

I'm sick of cancel culture. Too many people can't handle others not agreeing with them, and there is very little "agree to disagree" anymore. It's honestly sad. This celebrity has what opinion? How dare they. This CEO said what? Oh, let's boycott, and screw the consequences to the many workers on BOTH sides of the political aisle and from different races. It's ridiculous.

I don't agree with everything that's happened lately. I think Rob has thrown the word "racist" at people too quickly and cavalierly on the basis of one post or thought. But that's his right. I don't have to agree with it. I have enjoyed much of his work in the past. I will continue to lurk and enjoy reading all you guys much smarter than me debate issues Hawkeye related and beyond.
It's not just sad, it's very dangerous, and very un-American. We are seeing the beginnings of Bolshevik/Soviet thought and speech control tactics in this country now.

Last edited:
It's not just sad, it's very dangerous, and very un-American. We are seeing the beginnings of Bolshevik/Soviet thought and speech control tactics in this country now.

Not the beginnings . . . started in the 60s and has gotten stronger with each decade. November will tell us a lot about whether we have passed the point of no return . . . if we have, then the children will pay the price for their parent's sins . . . as is always the case

Last edited:
LOL, shirley you can't be serious... We are much closer to an Authoritarian/Facist state at this point with police being used as a tool of oppression in many areas. Happy to see millions in this country and across the world are tired of it and taking a stand to make a change. Go ahead and continue to push your tactics of fear though.

You sound like a guy who is about ready to check out, regardless. You really don't need to make an excuse/reason for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.