SIAP Zone Defense

1hawkifan

Forget about man and play zone 100% of the time. I think it would do us good. No worrying about switches, hedges, help defense.

Forget about man and play zone 100% of the time. I think it would do us good. No worrying about switches, hedges, help defense.

Zone all the time will be the quickest way to complete meltdown. To play zone effectively as the defense you need to have some very quick players to cover a lot of wood.

Face it, the reason for Iowa woes is the lack of quickness. The Hawks get broke down at the top and it cascades from there and then it looks like the big guys are making dumb fouls, but the problem began at the top. Like dominoes.

Defensive rotation

Man or zone they seem to be a step late on cuts to the basket, closing out on shooters, hedging on screens......all of it.

maybe it is an effort issue, maybe it isn't. I have no idea.

Defensive rotation

Man or zone they seem to be a step late on cuts to the basket, closing out on shooters, hedging on screens......all of it.

maybe it is an effort issue, maybe it isn't. I have no idea.

As you saw in the Purdue gm, after our sophisticated schemes and rotations, there's no-one anywhere near the basket! Who does that?

Baer is the worst of them all. He’s good for a couple plays here and there but most of the time he’s out of position, leaves his man a lot for help defense when he doesn’t need to.

Zone all the time will be the quickest way to complete meltdown. To play zone effectively as the defense you need to have some very quick players to cover a lot of wood.

Face it, the reason for Iowa woes is the lack of quickness. The Hawks get broke down at the top and it cascades from there and then it looks like the big guys are making dumb fouls, but the problem began at the top. Like dominoes.

Have you been watching our man defense? We can’t keep guards from driving past us going straight down the lane. This forces our bigs to leave their man to play help defense.

Have you been watching our man defense? We can’t keep guards from driving past us going straight down the lane. This forces our bigs to leave their man to play help defense.

Maybe we can sneak one or two more guys on the court on the defensive end. From the officiating I've seen this year the refs won't even notice.

Very true but Wisconsin seems to have figured out a way to play good defense while not having great athletes. Whenever I watch them its 5 guys on the same page. When I watch Iowa its like 5 guys who just got together for a pickup game.

For the life of me I can't figure out why Iowa can't put together a functional, slightly below average defense. With their offense, that would be good enough.

Going to zone exclusivly because you are bad at man is a disaster receipe. Yes I see and understand the sentiment. Coaching in hs I learned its a good way to get buried. Either way we're screwed.

Baer is the worst of them all. He’s good for a couple plays here and there but most of the time he’s out of position, leaves his man a lot for help defense when he doesn’t need to.

That's what you do when you don't trust your teammates. At least Baer is putting in some effort. He's trying to step up a be a leader (as the only senior on the team). Not sure it will make a difference. We shall see.

I said it October. If Baer is playing 15 or more minutes a night it's a bad sign because it means others aren't improving.

He's an 8-12 minute a night guy. Period. Any more than that and his deficiencies are exposed in a hurry. And when he, Cook and JBo were addressing the team they better have started by pointing the thumb first.

We'd better see a hell of an effort tomorrow. Even if it's an ugly 54-50 type game like Minnesota vs Wisconsin was the other night.

I think if you 100% commit to playing zone defense it would eliminate or at least hide some of the issues we seem to be having with ball screens and dribble drive. Over committing to help defense is because our guards cant stop anyone from driving by them into the lane.

I think if you 100% commit to playing zone defense it would eliminate or at least hide some of the issues we seem to be having with ball screens and dribble drive. Over committing to help defense is because our guards cant stop anyone from driving by them into the lane.

Historically the Hawks give up career nights for obscure 3 point shooters. That would be the result.

Historically the Hawks give up career nights for obscure 3 point shooters. That would be the result.
When skinny uncoordinated kids who couldn't dribble would stand in the corner all night in city rec ball and launch three pointers we would call them "Lafesters".

Pretty funny that Baer bohannon and cook are the ones harping on the defense. They are some of the main culprits and play the most minutes....

Latest posts