SIAP Zone Defense

Wouldnt mind seeing a 1 3 1 sometimes with Moss or Baer running the baseline wing.

As badly as Iowa is already out of position, a step late closing out, and frequently leaves the basket exposed to back-door, that iso baseline roamer would be a sitting duck.

Pretty funny that Baer bohannon and cook are the ones harping on the defense. They are some of the main culprits and play the most minutes....

Cook is not terrible. He's at the end of the dominoes and is the one who looks bad. The other 2 aren't as bad as they are slow. JBo is at best a role playing 6 or a 2 on a good team. Baer is a token home state feel good player who everyone on good team feel good about him being on the team and he's thrilled to pieces. Lute always had players like that which would do whatever asked in practice sacrificing themself and pester the real players.

As badly as Iowa is already out of position, a step late closing out, and frequently leaves the basket exposed to back-door, that iso baseline roamer would be a sitting duck.

Its not a real plan but maybe to change things up a rew minutes. Zone just isnt an answer for this team

Historically the Hawks give up career nights for obscure 3 point shooters. That would be the result.

Yea but you can't base the decision on those "what-ifs", no matter how frustratingly often they seem to happen.

It's not even a debate that disciplined zone (2-1-2) best suits this team's capabilities (size and length) and masks it deficiencies (unathletic, over-help / out of position). Yes, the "disciplined" part would be (and is) a huge challenge for these guys to execute. Yes, some teams would bomb away but you're better off playing the 3-pt odds than the layup odds.

Zone is the lesser of 2 evils and should be exclusive to give this team it's best strategic opportunity for success.

Yea but you can't base the decision on those "what-ifs", no matter how frustratingly often they seem to happen.

It's not even a debate that disciplined zone (2-1-2) best suits this team's capabilities (size and length) and masks it deficiencies (unathletic, over-help / out of position). Yes, the "disciplined" part would be (and is) a huge challenge for these guys to execute. Yes, some teams would bomb away but you're better off playing the 3-pt odds than the layup odds.

Zone is the lesser of 2 evils and should be exclusive to give this team it's best strategic opportunity for success.

I would debate that. This team though is screwed by lack of foot quickness anyway you slice it.

I would debate that. This team though is screwed by lack of foot quickness anyway you slice it.

Yes they lack lateral foot quickness, but I agree with stillbuster, it’s the lesser of 2 evils. I think if you have the players responsible for covering an area it would be less confusing.

Yes they lack lateral foot quickness, but I agree with stillbuster, it’s the lesser of 2 evils. I think if you have the players responsible for covering an area it would be less confusing.

What will happen with Iowa in a zone.
tumblr_mhdfh5ZB051s02vreo1_400.gif

Zone all the time will be the quickest way to complete meltdown. To play zone effectively as the defense you need to have some very quick players to cover a lot of wood.

Face it, the reason for Iowa woes is the lack of quickness. The Hawks get broke down at the top and it cascades from there and then it looks like the big guys are making dumb fouls, but the problem began at the top. Like dominoes.
This is the reality of it. The PG sets the tone for the defense.

Latest posts