SIAP: Christian French, Iowa Official, Top 5

Christian got the opportunity to play a lot in defensive coverage last night. When North Scott ran the ball, they always seemed to go away from French. A number of times NS went with 4 and 5 wideouts. French lined up and defended one of the wideouts. He may have made the defensive play of the game for the Cougars. With his Cougars holding on to a 6 point lead, in the 4th quarter, French's man ran a fly down the field. Christian ran with him and just as the ball was arriving, he raised up his hand and knocked the ball away. If Christian doesn't hit that ball, it is a touchdown. It was a great play!

Congratulations to Christian and his Kennedy team for the big win. He caught a lot of flack early in the year when his team was struggling, so it's great to read that he's recovered from his injury and making big plays to help his team win. I'll be shocked if he doesn't pick Iowa considering the distance to Oregon and the debacle at Notre Dame.

Congratulations to Christian and his Kennedy team for the big win. He caught a lot of flack early in the year when his team was struggling, so it's great to read that he's recovered from his injury and making big plays to help his team win. I'll be shocked if he doesn't pick Iowa considering the distance to Oregon and the debacle at Notre Dame.
+1

Saw dozens of posts around the web (paraphrasing) "if he was really a 4 star he could carry the team on his back." Same people ignored the fact that Rodney Coe (also a 4-star A-A) played on a team with a terrible record and nobody was requiring him to carry the entire squad on his back. The fact is there are 11 players per team, not ONE.

+1

Saw dozens of posts around the web (paraphrasing) "if he was really a 4 star he could carry the team on his back." Same people ignored the fact that Rodney Coe (also a 4-star A-A) played on a team with a terrible record and nobody was requiring him to carry the entire squad on his back. The fact is there are 11 players per team, not ONE.

BJ Lowery was an absolutely amazing player in high school ... but his high school team totally sucked. I think that folks often overstate the impact that a single individual can make on a team. One of the few possible exceptions is when the player is a QB or a RB that gets the ball on almost every play. In that case, a single individual can often help to carry the team to some extent. Of course, even then, if the OL sucks ... then even that ends up becoming less likely.

There was talk about CF deciding by the end of the week or this weekend.

Groth, are you suggesting that you've heard different or has that plan changed?

+1

Seems like CF was catching a lot of flack early in the year because his coach was trying to get him the ball a lot on offense as a receiver in their first few games against some very good teams. What the naysayers didn't take into account is that he had never played wide receiver before. Had a few drops or his route running wasn't great, which should be expected of anyone playing an entirely new position against good competition. Coach made the right call to let him focus on defense full-time and it's greatly helped their team. Won 6 in a row now.

His defensive numbers have been solid all season. Not amazing, but those can also be skewed by the team's defensive scheme, the quality of his teammates, and if teams run away from him or double team him (e.g., Adrian Clayborn this year). More important than individual stats is how well his team's defense has performed - given up only 1 TD in each of their last six games. CF is one of several players averaging 7-9 tackles per game, playing together well as a team, and making noise in the playoffs. That's more impressive to me than if he was leading class 4A in TFL's but played on a losing team.

There was talk about CF deciding by the end of the week or this weekend.

Groth, are you suggesting that you've heard different or has that plan changed?

what I've heard is that Notre Dame has three scholarships left, and they are not saving him one. Oregon and Iowa have guarenteed him a scholarship. The rush is put on by ND, the longer he waits the more it shows ND may not be as much of a factor. I'd also heard he was blown away by his trip to Oregon.

what I've heard is that Notre Dame has three scholarships left, and they are not saving him one. Oregon and Iowa have guarenteed him a scholarship. The rush is put on by ND, the longer he waits the more it shows ND may not be as much of a factor. I'd also heard he was blown away by his trip to Oregon.

For him to play in an offense like Oregon's, why wouldn't he go there? I've heard it is going to be Oregon. Not surprised. Oregon offense 55.6 ppg vs Iowa offense 30 ppg!!! Keep in mind this offense won't have Stanzi next season.

For him to play in an offense like Oregon's, why wouldn't he go there? I've heard it is going to be Oregon. Not surprised. Oregon offense 55.6 ppg vs Iowa offense 30 ppg!!! Keep in mind this offense won't have Stanzi next season.

Oregon reportedly wants him as a defensive end/linebacker hybrid. Iowa is the only one projecting him as a receiver.

If he wants to truely play WR. Campbell is a great coach and would be able to coach the kid up. If WR doesn't work out I'm sure they will find someplace for him to play.

Oregon reportedly wants him as a defensive end/linebacker hybrid. Iowa is the only one projecting him as a receiver.

I'm sure that the Iowa coaches really like how nicely French projects (physically) at a number of positions ... including WR, TE, and our LEO LB spot (which is a hybrid DE/OLB spot).

Christian played a hybrid position this year and was always on the weak side of the offensive formation. Teams tended to run away from him.

When he was speaking to reporters after the game tonight, he did not give any specifics when he planned to commit.

Brian Kelly and another assistant attend the game and were on the sidelines for the first half.

I've never seen or heard of any "unclassy" behavior by Oregon. In fact, I would argue that it takes some class for Chip Kelly to suspend Blount for the season and release Massoli from the team.

Is it classy to constantly run up the score?
blowing people out is what gets you style points, so, in turn, makes you #1 in the bcs. they'll keep blowing people out, and probably get to play for nat. championship because of it. This your first year watching cfb?

blowing people out is what gets you style points, so, in turn, makes you #1 in the bcs. they'll keep blowing people out, and probably get to play for nat. championship because of it. This your first year watching cfb?

You are quite correct, but everyone doesn't have to like it.

I must have missed the question. I didn't realize we were talking about the logic of running up the score.

I was commenting on the lack of class.

Latest posts