SI projecting us

longtimer

a 9 seed vs Baylor which I think is probably right in regard to the seed. Kiss of death! Gives us almost no chance of playing the second week. Wouldn't it be great to make the sweet 16? If we end up winning one on the tournament and get thrashed in the second game (hope it ain't Gonzaga) will you feel good about the program and the future?

SI has Iowa State a 7 seed even though they finished 500 in their league and have lost 6 of 8?

a 9 seed vs Baylor which I think is probably right in regard to the seed. Kiss of death! Gives us almost no chance of playing the second week. Wouldn't it be great to make the sweet 16? If we end up winning one on the tournament and get thrashed in the second game (hope it ain't Gonzaga) will you feel good about the program and the future?

SI has Iowa State a 7 seed even though they finished 500 in their league and have lost 6 of 8?

Iowa also finished .500, and lost 5 of their last 6. Two miracle finishes keeping it from being 7 of 8.

ISU also beat Kansas, and won @TT (Top 10) and @K-State (Top 15). They have more big wins, and more high profile wins, than we do.

Iowa beat Michigan at home... and... a very bubbly OSU team. They also beat a shorthanded ISU team, but the transitive property doesn't really apply in sports.

The seeding for both teams sounds about right IMO.

To answer the question in bold above? No. I believe that's the ceiling under Fran. He's peaked IMO. Not unless they can find away to improve recruiting in our back court, and figure out how to stop wilting in the spotlight during Feb/March.

Last edited:
ISU's net rating is 23. They have 4 Q1 road wins all versus likely NCAA teams. SOS is 29. I'm consistently confused by why Hawk fans are shocked about the projections. I actually think the 7 seed is a low as they possibly go.
Well the Hawk fans you’re talking about are probably the ones that think Iowa is right now a “play-in” team and if they lose then a NIT team.

Hawks beat ISU.
And the Big10 is superior to BigXII.

ISU's net rating is 23. They have 4 Q1 road wins all versus likely NCAA teams. SOS is 29. I'm consistently confused by why Hawk fans are shocked about the projections. I actually think the 7 seed is a low as they possibly go.
Winning at Texas tech a hell of a win. I like them in this tournament. I like Beard. He reminds me of 1990's Bob Huggins

For this season, I'm happy with Iowa getting into the NCAA tournament. Any win there would be great. I'd be ecstatic with a Sweet 16.

For the future with Fran as HC, I think this is the kind of season Iowa can hope for in the best case. A Tom Davis type of season. .500ish in the B1G, take advantage of an easy non-conference schedule, get a 7-9 seed, win an NCAA game, and go home.

I have to be realistic, with the way Fran coaches defense, this is probably the best Iowa can do unless they bring in a tremendous amount of talent at the guard spots and just run teams into submission. Most teams that play defense they way Iowa does don't sniff the NCAA tournament.

Well the Hawk fans you’re talking about are probably the ones that think Iowa is right now a “play-in” team and if they lose then a NIT team.

Hawks beat ISU.
And the Big10 is superior to BigXII.

Iowa beat Michigan. Should they be seeded ahead of them?

ISU beating Iowa in football in 2002 didn't mean they deserved the Orange Bowl ahead of us, either.

There is no transitive property in sports.

Iowa beat Michigan. Should they be seeded ahead of them?

ISU beating Iowa in football in 2002 didn't mean they deserved the Orange Bowl ahead of us, either.

There is no transitive property in sports.
Do you not understand the context of the post?

Do you not understand the context of the post?

Maybe not. If you or the OP didn't mean that Iowa should be seeded as high as ISU because of the Big 10, and because Iowa beat ISU head to head, then I'm not sure what the point is.

IMO the two teams at 7/9 respectively is about right.

Last edited:
Maybe not. If you or the OP didn't mean that Iowa should be seeded as high as ISU because of the Big 10, and because Iowa beat ISU head to head, then I'm not sure what the point is.

IMO the two teams at 7/9 respectively is about right.
Yeah, I said the Hawk fans saying Iowa is out or in the first four are likely the ones complaining about ISU’s seed because of H2H and strength of the Big10.

Stop with the 'Iowa beat a shorthanded ISU' bullcrap. They beat them period, and soundly. If ISU is complaining about being short handed, then get your ass in there and play.

For like the 4th year in a row I can't decide if the big 12 is even good...at all

Best non conference win:
Kstate: missouri (77)
Texas tech: nebraska (52)
Iowa State: Missouri (77)
Baylor: ole Miss (34)
TCU: nobody

Kansas was on a roll in the nonconference but they have fallen apart

So here we are again.....seems like it happens every year

I honestly dont think it matters very much about seeding above the 4 line, and I am not sure that even matters. It all depends on who you are playing and what the matchup is. We are going to have to play somebody good in the first round no matter what, and that will be an even matchup, even if we would have won some games here lately and gotten a 5 or 6 seed.

For us, we have to get engaged again and play harder. Clean up the mistakes, make crisper passes, be more active defensively, etc. I think that will get us in a flow and we will start hitting some shots. The officiating in the tournament will probably help us out and free us up because they typically dont allow the mugging that goes on in the second half of a big ten season.

I would rather be a 10 seed really at that, it puts us playing a 2 if we win the 7/10 matchup, which is really the same as having the 7 seed. Of the 1 seeds, I wouldnt want to play Gonzaga, UNC, Virginia or Kentucky, all because of their athleticism and their guard speed. Of the 2 seeds, they wont put us against MSU and LSU and Tennessee would be tough matchups for us for the same reason as the 1 seeds. But call me crazy, but I would choose Duke if I was going to pick a team to upset. First reason is that everyone would expect us to lose because of the hype, so we would have nothing to lose. Second, Duke does not shoot the 3 well and they are very imbalanced on offense with 3 guys taking all the shots. Still not an easy matchup but better than the others.