SI has Iowa at #52

1. Wagner
2. Baer
3. Moss
4. ??? (Hoping Garza)

Agree completely w this list. I expect Cook to be a better defender in his natural position. Nunge and C Mac will also be good defenders. I don’t know if that will be this season, but they will be.

Honestly, defensive rebounding is where the improvement is most likely. Iowa’s defensive efficiency will skyrocket if the new 6’11 guys, Cook moved over and a lean CP can improve that facet of the game.

Moss would have to improve a lot for him to be one of the top defenders. His advanced defensive stats were one of the worst on the team last season.

Moss flashed it plenty of times last year, he was inconsistent on both ends last year, but a Freshman. I think he'll make a nice leap this year all around.

When you run such an uptempo offense teams are going to score more as they have more possessions. I haven't looked at the stats but we are probably better in points per possession than we are in overall defense.

That being said, our perimeter and help defense is often pretty bad. Help defense will get better with age, we just don't have the players for perimeter defense.

When you run such an uptempo offense teams are going to score more as they have more possessions. I haven't looked at the stats but we are probably better in points per possession than we are in overall defense.

That being said, our perimeter and help defense is often pretty bad. Help defense will get better with age, we just don't have the players for perimeter defense.

I think our perimeter defense is going to really struggle again this year with the personnel we have. Our help defense should be much improved with Garza.

200.gif

giphy.gif

aiRdfWy.gif
OMG that seriously made my back hurt just watching some of those

How do we know this? How do we know we don't have the players for perimeter defense? Has Moss gotten opportunity to even show it yet? Are you assuming that Jordan has gotten worse over the off season? Is Conner just bad and slow because he's white and playing because he's the coaches kid?

I just don't know how we know all this stuff already? I know that we lost one of our worst perimeter defensive players and gained a 6'5" 4 star player. I'd imagine that Jordan has improved, but I am not willing to bank on it. IMO, he's just too tough of a kid not to keep working on his flaws. Part of Moss's quick hook last season was when he got lost on D, but at times, he showed flashes of being capable. He's definitely quick enough, athletic enough. If Nunge is going to play the 3/4, a 6'11" guy would seem to provide some perimeter defense? But we can't really count on that out of a freshman. Ellingson... is formidable, but you know what you are getting I suppose.

I appreciate every single posters input, and I am not saying you're wrong. I just personally don't know how we all know this stuff already. A lot of people gleaned a lot of data off of 1 exhibition.

Last edited:
How do we know this? How do we know we don't have the players for perimeter defense? Has Moss gotten opportunity to even show it yet? Are you assuming that Jordan has gotten worse over the off season? Is Conner just bad and slow because he's white and playing because he's the coaches kid?

I just don't know how we know all this stuff already? I know that we lost one of our worst perimeter defensive players and gained a 6'5" 4 star player. I'd imagine that Jordan has improved, but I am not willing to bank on it. IMO, he's just too tough of a kid not to keep working on his flaws. Part of Moss's quick hook last season was when he got lost on D, but at times, he showed flashes of being capable. He's definitely quick enough, athletic enough. If Nunge is going to play the 3/4, a 6'11" guy would seem to provide some perimeter defense? But we can't really count on that out of a freshman. Ellingson... is formidable, but you know what you are getting I suppose.

I appreciate every single posters input, and I am not saying you're wrong. I just personally don't know how we all know this stuff already. A lot of people gleaned a lot of data off of 1 exhibition.

Moss played 580 minutes last year so he showed up more than enough how much work he needs defensively on the perimeter. With Connor even Rob said he was worried about him defensively and that has always been the biggest question mark with him. I don't think anyone knows how good Nunge will be defensively but I wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle this season as a freshman.

Moss played 580 minutes last year so he showed up more than enough how much work he needs defensively on the perimeter. With Connor even Rob said he was worried about him defensively and that has always been the biggest question mark with him. I don't think anyone knows how good Nunge will be defensively but I wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle this season as a freshman.

Right, he was a freshman playing his first minutes of college ball. Like Jbo - , like Nunge and CMAC this year - you would expect Moss's D to be much better this season, much like people would expect our Freshman to struggle. I was just curious as to why this was already a narrative when they haven't even played a game yet. William Jewell shot like 30 3 pointers, it was all they had.

I'm not saying any one is wrong with the line of thinking that we have no perimeter defense, you likely are dead on. I am just curious as to why that is already a thing? Just because it is? Because of last season? IMO, we lost one of the worst perimeter defenders we had that also played the most minutes per game on team. I am anxious to see if there's been improvement and will hold off with the absolutes until I can at least observe some games that count.

Last edited:
Those whom Isaiah guards seldom score, they usually pass the ball to someone else. One of the primary aspects of playing D on the basketball court is to deny your opponent the opportunity to shoot the ball.....

Isaiah's style is somewhat deceiving. He stands a step or so back, using his hands to distract and his defensive stance to prevent a drive to the basket. He is very quick, which is not immediately evident. He has a casual, but efficient, style of play.....

Moss and Jordan were instrumental in our ability to erase a ten point deficit with the implementation of our half-court trap. They would steal the ball time and again, leading to a score on the other end, usually with a Bohannon pass to Moss on the wing for a slam....
I think our D will be vastly improved with Luka and Jack protecting the paint. Luke seems to personally take offense to an opponent hanging around our basket.....

We should be able to hold our opponents 10 points lower than last season with the experience gained and the addition of Garza and Nunge......

Connor is tall and savvy and, more than likely understands the importance of keeping your man in front of you on D. I am certain that he will be adequate in this field, especially as the season winds on.....

:cool:

Last edited:
I personally think Iowa is going to be a fringe top 25 team all season. Lots of experience and good size. ISU is going to have to play well to win in Hilton this year.

I personally think Iowa is going to be a fringe top 25 team all season. Lots of experience and good size. ISU is going to have to play well to win in Hilton this year.

Clowntownfanatics tell us that Fran sucks, Jordan Bohannon and Baer wouldn’t earn 1 minute of playing time for the Clones and Garza = Woodbury (and they don’t mean in a good way). Oh, and Derpth of course.

Last edited:
Clowntownfanatics tell us that Fran sucks, Jordan Bohannon and Baer wouldn’t earn 1 minute of playing time for the Clones and Garza = Woodbury (and they don’t mean in a good way). Of and Derpth of course.

I hope Garza is as good defensively as Woodbury was but Garza is going to be much better offensively so that's a pretty unintelligent comparison.

Pretty simple. There is no need to prove that Iowa won't defend the perimeter well. They have ZERO speed. Teams that shoot well from the perimeter will have the advantage which is most top 30 teams. Good basketball teams have good ball handlers that can drive and kick the ball. Iowa only plays zone because we can't keep up in man to man. Iowa will only be as good as their rebounding.

Clowntownfanatics tell us that Fran sucks, Jordan Bohannon and Baer wouldn’t earn 1 minute of playing time for the Clones and Garza = Woodbury (and they don’t mean in a good way). Oh, and Derpth of course.

I've not been overly impressed with Fran at times in some of his decision making, but he knows his basketball.

I haven't seen Garza play, so can't comment there. I also don't follow Iowa closely enough to determine who will get minutes.