Shouldn't We make the tournament?

longtimer

With Cook coming back and adding a top 50 player don't we have tournament talent? And if not will we have it any time in the near future?
I think this should be talent wise the best McCaffrey has done. Not only adding Weiskamp but also Connor. Really I think this needs to be a turnaround year or ?

we "should" have been a NCAA tourney contender last season. I have given Fran the benefit of the doubt for last season and his one throw away season. with cook returning, our offense should be the best in the B1G. the key (as we all know and have been discussing since Jan) is our defense. that MUST improve. if it doesn't, then no NCAA and (perhaps) no more Fran. need to bring the D.

This is just my fandom expectation. Your's are likely different then mine. That's ok. But for me - There is no excuse not to make the tournament this year. They take 68 teams, Iowa has a team loaded with upperclassmen, good recruiting and more options at the 1,2 & 3 this year. There is NO excuse for Iowa missing the tournament. I don't give Fran a pass for last year at all. It's on him, it was miserable. What I do give him, is the opportunity to right the ship because before last season, the program seemed to be on solid footing (not great, but solid and moving forward). If he can't I will be first in line with my pitchfork.

Remember when we got rid of Tom Davis for not going far enough in the NCAA tourney? Now, we're talking about just making the NCAA tourney as an acceptable performance. We've been sold a lullaby, folks.
Yup and that's why Alford (well just part of why in Alfords case) and Licklighter weren't able to stick around longer.
This is Frans no excuses year. If this group is healthy it's a roster full of talented upperclassman that he put together. Garza, Nunge, and Wieskamp will be the main younger guys being leaned on but between Cook, JBo, Moss and Baer I don't see how the big dance isn't the floor for this team. We should be debating on if we'll be in the top 6 of the BIG and how high of a seed we'll get. Not will they or not...

Remember when we got rid of Tom Davis for not going far enough in the NCAA tourney? Now, we're talking about just making the NCAA tourney as an acceptable performance. We've been sold a lullaby, folks.

Yep, unfortunately idiot fans felt Mr. Davis wasn’t “good enough”. Idiot fans are responsible for ushering Iowa BB into the ice age.

No reason this team shouldn’t make the NCAA’s this year. If they don’t Fran absolutely should be fired.
Unfortunately there is 1 reason why he won't be for just about any reason. That reason is Barta and the contract extension he gave Fran … I sure as hell hope it don't come to where it's even talked about cause I'm with you this team should go dancing. But it'll be in the back of everyones mind as the year goes on or the front of it depending how it goes...

NIT

Obviously, it is not what I want, but it is what I expect. I still see 12-14 losses next year. Cook and Moss need to take the next step to even think about the tournament. There is some hope for Cook, as for Moss, I think he is who he is at this point.

Translation: NIT

Yep, unfortunately idiot fans felt Mr. Davis wasn’t “good enough”. Idiot fans are responsible for ushering Iowa BB into the ice age.

Guilty as charged. I wanted the “next level” and Alford seemed like the perfect guy to do it. I can’t predict the future, who knew Alford and Lickliter would be epic fails.

This is just my fandom expectation. Your's are likely different then mine. That's ok. But for me - There is no excuse not to make the tournament this year. They take 68 teams, Iowa has a team loaded with upperclassmen, good recruiting and more options at the 1,2 & 3 this year. There is NO excuse for Iowa missing the tournament. I don't give Fran a pass for last year at all. It's on him, it was miserable. What I do give him, is the opportunity to right the ship because before last season, the program seemed to be on solid footing (not great, but solid and moving forward). If he can't I will be first in line with my pitchfork.

You can't be first in line because there was a big line with pitch forks even when we were making the tourney.

This team, talent-wise, should be in Sweet Sixteen at the minimum. Anything less and Fran should be shown the door.

(Hope I did that proper-like)

My way too early prediction is 16-15, 8-12 B10 in the regular season next year with our schedule, so I'm not picking us to make the tournament. But win a couple more in the B10 and 18-13 might put us on the bubble if the non-conference losses are still RPI friendly

Hopefully, Iowa has a gimme game against Pitt. If the team can stay healthy they will have a great year. They won't be able to leap over tall buildings, but they should come back bigger, stronger, and more experienced. Maybe going overseas last year made the coaching staff a little lax.

I concur. I'm not going to lower the bar for my expectations this year just because last year was so awful.

Of course, there will be those who will defend the coach because of all the good recruits coming in, etc. It was the same when Alford and Lick were our coach. Yes, I actually remember people saying it'd be crazy to fire Lick because Cody Larson was going to be our savior.

In the end, it's results that count, not potential. A coach is either getting it done or is not. NIT this year would be 3 straight misses.. In years 7-9. 3 trips in 9 years, one of them basically a play-in game loss. That's not so hot.

Last edited:
I concur. I'm not going to lower the bar for my expectations this year just because last year was so awful. NIT this year would make 3 straight misses.. In years 7-9. That's not cutting it.

Of course, there will be those who will defend the coach because of all the good recruits coming in, etc. It was the same when Alford and Lick were our coach. Yes, I remember people saying it'd be crazy to fire Lick because Cody Larson was going to be our savior.

In the end, it's results that count, not potential. A coach is either getting it done or is not.
What if we barely get in the NCAA tourney and lose in the first round?

What if we win the NIT championship?