Should WHOTV 13 have aired the Ferentz video?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
The video that was aired showing Ferentz swearing.

The pressers were over and Kirk chose to talk to the reporter who asked the question he had an issue with

Do you feel like that is still fair game territory?

I have some opinions but will let others weigh in before sharing mine

My opinion...

Lately Hassel seems to have an agenda when discussing Kirk. I know he grew up a Hawk fan and maybe he's just pizzed because of the lackluster play the last few seasons but if you listen to him when he fills in on Murph and Andy or on the sportscast he likes to take a lot of potshots at Kirk. This is no exception. I'm sure Chris was glad Kirk gave him a reason to put that up on the news. Furthermore, they didn't even wait until sports to show it, they did it in the middle of the news segment.

Absolutely. He is a public figure, you have to act like the cameras are on at all times in public. Unless he was officially off the record with everyone around at that point, I have no problem with it.

Absolutely fair game. Most reporters were tweeting and writing about it yesterday and this morning; it was all over the message boards. People wanted to know what happened. The video gives it context. Ferentz didn't explode at the reporter and really didn't get up in his face. He did let go of a couple vulgarities and proceeded to dress down the reporter in what I thought was bush league fashion. I posted in another thread that I thought Ferentz came across as pretty thin-skinned.

This sort of stuff happens in lockerrooms and news conference rooms all the time all over the country. It might get a mention on the local news or ESPN, but short of a full-blown meltdown that lives on on YouTube it is quickly forgotten and everyone moves on.

I'm laughing at the fact this seems to be such a big deal in Hawkeyeland today. If this is the biggest story going on, things must be pretty pleasant in the fertile land of the Ioway.

I found it funny (the funniest thing ever from him) that Hassel would mention the fact that Kirk dropped the F-bomb. How proud are you to drive a Stivers Ford again, Chris?

As for WHO airing that footage, I think it was a wrong decision. KF had the right to reasonably expect those comments to be considered off the record. WHO appears to be kicking the man when he's down which is unprofessional. Leave that sort of thing to us message board amateurs, you try to be objective and professional.

Look, there's always a mic running... how many stories during the election were based on a mic that was still on and the candidate didn't know it. If you don't want it public, don't say it in a public situation.

That being said, you're a sports reporter not a columnist or a editorialist. Your opinion on the matter doesn't matter. Is it a story that he dropped f bombs? No, but given his temperament the last 14 years, it is a drastic change, something we haven't seen. So I don't blame them for putting it on the news, but the comments during and after by the newscaster were out of bounds.

Absolutely fair. And if he doesn't like it, he should win more or at least be more transparent. He created this atmosphere of scrutiny himself.

If Iowa was 8-2 right now, I'm sure the questioning would have been softer. As it stands, his teams suck lately, people are fed up with his generic answers and they are going to hold him accountable. The veil of secrecy is unacceptable in the post-sandusky era.

On what planet is it not fair game? I guess that would be my question. He's still in the room where there was a press conference, and reporters still around lol.

I found it funny (the funniest thing ever from him) that Hassel would mention the fact that Kirk dropped the F-bomb. How proud are you to drive a Stivers Ford again, Chris?

As for WHO airing that footage, I think it was a wrong decision. KF had the right to reasonably expect those comments to be considered off the record. WHO appears to be kicking the man when he's down which is unprofessional. Leave that sort of thing to us message board amateurs, you try to be objective and professional.

What he said

How much of a "public" figure is Ferentz if he isnt paid with a penny of "public" funds?

My opinioin, he should not have reacted like that as he does represent the most visible team in the state. It just makes him look bad and a little bit butthurt about the season.

Further, in the context of what has transpired over the past year at Penn State and in view of the contemporaneous press reports involving an academic adviser in the athletics department, Ferentz should have been prepared for questions about it, even if just to say he couldn't comment. Shame on him, his staff and the sports information office for not anticipating it. The reporter was simply doing his job.

How much of a "public" figure is Ferentz if he isnt paid with a penny of "public" funds?

My opinioin, he should not have reacted like that as he does represent the most visible team in the state. It just makes him look bad and a little bit butthurt about the season.

"Public" figure in this context has not one thing to do with whether he is paid with "public" funds.

This might be the most ridiculous take I've seen on this board in weeks. And that's tough. Lindsay Lohan is a freaking public figure.

The video that was aired showing Ferentz swearing.

The pressers were over and Kirk chose to talk to the reporter who asked the question he had an issue with

Do you feel like that is still fair game territory?

I have some opinions but will let others weigh in before sharing mine

The way I see it, if Ferentz was talking to the media in front of a camera or microphones were still on, then it's all fair game to be repeated on TV and/or the radio. Bleep stuff out of course if there is swearing, but if you're KF and you don't want something repeated on the air, either A) don't say it or B) don't talk to reporters.

It doesn't matter who pays your salary IMO - if you have press conferences every week and talk to the media, you're on TV, radio, etc. then you're a public figure, and you should expect that anything you do or say will find its way into the newspaper, or will be broadcast on TV and/or the radio.

Well... if you are going to be in that situation - surrounded by news people.

Yes - you have to know and expect it.

I know "the media" can be manipulative - but this society we have where football coaches think they are like julius caesar - that also is just as big a problem.

I understand that your football players and people working with you need to bow down but to expect the rest of the world to bow down is pretty delusional.

KF uses plenty of state resources and benefits even though his "salary" comes from internal funding. Every aspect of his job uses and interacts with state resources.

It wasn't even a tough freaking question. To Jon's point that it wasn't the question, but moreso the source, and rabbit hole issue, didn't he already make the point with his condescension in answering the question with the "Well we know it's true then"? The guy is so stubborn it is unbelievable.

Latest posts